News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 01:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windshield chrome trim replacement with something else  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Windshield chrome trim replacement with something else
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
I was looking at the chrome trim on the windshield and rear window and was wondering if anyone has ever contemplated removing it and replacing it with a newer seal type that is seen on newer vehicles.

A lot of new vehicles has a rubber seal around the Window, it looks good and keeps rot out. Since I have to replace my windshield I was debating on looking around for something like this for the front and rear windows.

I'm going for the black door handles as well, and have been debating blacking out certain pieces of trim (wwith rubberized paint basically) if/wwhen I get around to painting the car.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Windshield chrome trim replacement with something else
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
I think your best bet is to remove the glass and remove any rust that may be in the channel. Then prime it and seal it with paint. If you are repaint ing anyway it's a good time to do it. If there is no exposed metal or underlying rust and you keep dirt and debris clear of that area you'll never have rot issues.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »
A totally blacked out eagle would be ultra-cool.  Get rid of all the chrome trim and moldings, black wrangler handles, reupholstered interior, tinted windows, etc. etc....  etc. etc etc..   I considered doing it on my black wagon some years back unfortunately it was too far gone from years of neglect.
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
My son blacked out all the chrome on his sx4, he had the bumpers powder coated, some peices have that rubbery stuff, others are painted, door handles black too.

It looks pretty cool like that I think
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »
AMC painted much of the bright work black on the sport models.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:37:08 AM »
I want to totally delete the chrome from the front and rear window, leave it on the rest of the car.

The wind and rain in my area gets in these behind the chrome molding and rots the vehicle. I'd rather find a windshield rubber seal like on modern vehicles that would press in and seal it up tight.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »
If it's already causing rust problems, you'd need to eradicate all the rust present (best way is to pull glass and sand off, then coat and paint) before you do anything further. Pressing a seal in might block further moisture from entering but if there is already rust it'll keep going underneath.

I'm not aware of any seals that will work. All I can say is if treated correctly you should be fine with the factory trim. Why re-invent the wheel?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
It's a thought right now. I might wander some junk yards and see what I can see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk