News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 08:18:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XJ -> Eagle : Parts that can be used?  (Read 11305 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: XJ -> Eagle : Parts that can be used?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 11:44:42 AM »
So if it has a GM column (which I think stopped in 90/91) it should fit. Any idea if the 1994 XJ would have the GM column?

The main thing that I need to look at are the switches and :censored: that on the XJ compared to the Eagle. I'm not sure if any of it will cross over to be compatible.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »
If the ignition slider is in the same place, it's the good Delco style. I was helping someone yesterday who had the switch inside the upper part of the column (99 XJ) that was all busted up by tweakers trying to steal her Jeep.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
I'm going to snag some pictures of it soon. Easiest thing to do, then I'll know.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
OK, here are a few image thumbs. XJ will be on the top, Eagle on the bottom

XJ inside the engine area :

Eagle

XJ Column base

Eagle

XJ Key

Eagle

XJ Column

Eagle

Although I haven't checked to be 100% sure, this looks a lot like I remember hte Eagle connector looking :
XJ

Here's a connector, they look identical
XJ

Eagle

Me having fun
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:43:55 AM by Nightpath »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
I'm going to have to say that mid 1994-95 was the changing point for totally going the Chrysler model steering column.

W00t w00t

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
If someone near Seattle has an Eagle column out we can match up, I have one from a Comanche I parted (column shift AW4).
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:43 AM »
In those pics I have the 2 side by side.  To is the pics from the 94 XJ,  bottom is the Eagle.

XJ is blue
Eagle is tan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
Look at the turn signal plug and wire colors. You don't need to worry about the wipers and headlights as yours were still on the dash.

Also look up the ignition switch part number. If one is tilt and the other isn't, look at the non-tilt part number to match. If it does, you're good to go. The tilt switch is reversed to the non-tilt switch but the wiring plug is the same.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:10:18 PM by carnuck »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Both are tilt.

Starting to look like they're a match and I'll be able to do a direct swap.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
If they are the same, are you planning to use the entire unit or just parts?   The reason I ask is, taking apart a steering column is a big job.  There are pins in the side of the tilt mechanism that are not easy to pull sometimes.  Also, the tilt spring needs to be removed (CCW with a philips screwdriver pushing in and turning) before pulling the pins.  If you are removing everything including the collar down to the mast jacket, you are in for a big job. If you have not done it before, you can easily get discouraged.  However, I am sure there is a youtube video for it (if there is not a youtube video for something you want to do, it is not worth doing  ;D).  If the shafts are different, the entire thing has to come apart anyway to pull the shaft out.  I wish you luck on this project.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »
Only part I can see that is a bit different is the 1st pic. The Eagle part looks like a solid piece, the XJ looks like it's able to pivot. Either way, I bet I can make it work.

I am using the XJ steering box and power steering as well. Just about everything connected to the XJ is finding it's way into the Eagle. That includes the in-car wiring (besides speakers and lights).

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
Oh, I plan on using the whole XJ column. I can't see any reason why it won't fit into the Eagle.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 02:08:38 AM »
Possibly too long.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk