News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You're either gonna love this, or really hate it...  (Read 13383 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
You're either gonna love this, or really hate it...
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
I thought about this for a long time, but I finally just had to do it.  It's like it was calling out to me...

At rest:

With the ignition on:

At night:

John B.

1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: You're either gonna love this, or really hate it...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »
Different! Do the eyes light up?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
Yes, you should be able to see the yellow glow in the second and third pictures.

I drilled out the pupils and installed 5 mm yellow LEDs, then ran a wire between the hood and the 'engine blanket' thingie to the back of the hood.  Used a pin on the diagnostic connector (bottom row, second from left)  to get access to 'ignition on' power.

John B.
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
Nice job!  Now you just need to install an auxillary horn that sounds like an eagle screeching  ;D
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »
I kind of like it, but I'd like it more if it was a little smaller! Still pretty cool though. Let's see some night pics or at least dusk. I wanna see the glow more!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Prafeston, I know what you mean.  I bought it (over a year ago) from a vendor on Amazon, and when it arrived, I was dismayed at how much larger it was than it looked in the ad.  Too large, I thought, to actually install on my Eagle.  So I set it on a kitchen counter top and lived with it for a while, and I started to think it was not so bad. Also, it kept staring at me like it was p*ssed off.  Eventually I decided it was just too badass not to install.

I'll try to get a good nighttime picture. I tried to get one for my OP, but the light from the LEDs throws off the light sensor in my camera, and the resulting picture just shows two yellow glows in a pitch black background.

And Vangremlin, I like the way you're thinking.  I could mount the speaker behind the hood latch so it sounded like the screech was coming right from the eagle.  Imagine the reaction from pedestrians in the crosswalk when I was stopped at a red light...

I've always struggled with the urge to turn my cars into 'art cars'.  Just promise you guys will stop me if I start talking about adding wings to the old bird...

John B.

From the Houston Art Car Parade:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:53:04 PM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline matt1971

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
Hi. Matt here. I love it! That's really cool how the eyes light up!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
I give it a like, the eyes are a bonus too!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline matt1971

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi. Matt here. Judging from the blacked out trim on the front of your AMC Eagle, it looks like you own an AMC Eagle with the sport package! Got anymore pics to share?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:06:48 PM by matt1971 »

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
That would be cool as a magnet for the top of the wagon top going down the road above the rear hatch/roof!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »
matt1971,

Yes, It's a Canadian-built Sport model with the 258 and a 5-speed.  I searched for a couple of years trying to find that combination (5-speed and 258); I bid on a couple of rough ones on EBay but dropped out at the $3000 level.  Finally found one in Idaho on Ebay with a 'Buy it now' price of $1000.  I bought it with no inspection of any kind and really lucked out; no rust, no wrecks and engine in good running condition.  It cost me another $1000 (and several years off my life, stress-wise)  getting it shipped down to Texas, but I'm real happy with it.

Here are some good pictures of it from another post:  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42205.0

John B.
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline matt1971

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:18:18 AM »
Hey John, Matt here. Thanks for the link. That is a wonderful 1984 AMC Eagle Wagon with the sport package and the 258 5 speed! I am happy you finally have the Eagle you were looking for!
I currently have a 1979 AMC Pacer Limited Hatchback. It is a 258 auto on the column. Alpaca Brown with a Tan Interior!

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:26 AM »
I'm going with love it. An illuminated Eagle hood oniment on an Eagle, what's not to love....it goes with the car like the bull dog on a Mack...I had An ornament on my first Eagle, a 1982.limited coupe, that was a pig with illuminated wings, I found it fitting as the day they build a 4x4 coupe pigs will fly.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
To each their own. Can't say it does anything for the car besides putting a hole in the hood.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
To each their own. Can't say it does anything for the car besides putting a hole in the hood.

I have to agree.  In my opinion what that hood needed was some paint, not a hole drilled through it.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk