News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 07:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: thinking about buying an eagle, wondering about parts  (Read 14028 times)

Offline tuf

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
thinking about buying an eagle, wondering about parts
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
hello there,
I am new to the nest and new to amc eagle's as well.
I have been looking for a AWD wagon. Subaru has been my main choice, but parts and maintence is more difficult on these vehicles. I was wondering If AMC eagle wagon parts are easy to get a hold of. example: advanced auto easy. Or would I need to order any parts i may need.

Also I am in colorado and there isnt many amc eagles up for sale at the moment, well at lease on craigslist. So if anyone is semi-near denver and have a 4d AMC Eagle wagon up for sale, feel free to let me know thanks

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: thinking about buying an eagle, wondering about parts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:03:03 PM »
the parts are availible, but some of the other nesters have had problems with getting counter help to realize that these are AMC cars and not the dodge/chrysler "eagles".
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:24:27 AM »
Some parts are still available (drivetrain, suspension, starters, alt, etc) as they are related to Jeeps.  Some of the parts are not available, so sometimes you might have to supplement with jeep parts, have them rebuilt, or do your own repairs.

Some parts are not available, and you have to either scrounge them from junkyards (or find a parts car) or make other parts work, or fix them.

For example:  you can't get seats, but you can get them redone (foam, coverings, etc), you Can't get a new dash, or interior plastic trim, etc.  You can however, still get Carpets that fit, so that's good. 

If you're handy and resourceful, have access to a big junkyard, or ask here, it would be a project. 

Hopefully I haven't turned you off, cause there's a total upside:  If you're really handy, can weld, and would feel comfortable rebuilding a motor, or changing over a motor, there's a stroker motor mod where if you swap the bottom end internals from the original motor (the 258 cid or a 4.2 liter) and put it in the common '90's jeep straight 6 block (a 4.0 HO engine) they will fit, and top it off with the better head from the 4.0 (hopefully FI) and make some other mods (computer, sending unit, some of the gauges, etc) you would have an eagle that could get mid to high 30's mpg, and from what I keep getting told, probably over 250 hp (I've been told around 300).

Now, that's gotta be worth the time and effort.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:33:46 AM »
Many mechanical parts still available.  Most body and interior parts only available used unless you happen across a rare NOS part.  That does still happen from time to time.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline duane2171

• TemperMental
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »
Welcome to the Nest Tuf!!

I own an '02 Subaru Outback, and an 82 Eagle wagon.  I'll tell ya right now the Eagle wagon is WAYYYYY easier to wrench on and parts
are a LOT cheaper.  Also diagnosing just what the heck is wrong on the Subie is confusing in itself.  Most parts you can only get at a
dealer I've found, so you know that means $$$$$  don't misunderstand me though, I love my Subie and if you're into creature comforts
its the way to go.  But for ease of workin on and $$$  the Eagle would be my choice.
1978 AMX (Rex)
1981 Jeep Scrambler (not done yet)
Manx Dunebuggy (Bugly)
79 Jeep J10 shortbox  (Jasper)
1961 Rambler Classic 6 (Roxy)
1967 Ford Econoline

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
welcome from Wyoming! if you need parts and don't mind a little drive there a few yards with a lot of eagles around. one yard is right on I-25 just north of colorado national speedway,(can't remember the name),  the other is seven sons auto salvage just north of brightion on us85. hope this helps, LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline tuf

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
thanks everyone for all the information. Now the only problem is finding a AMC eagle 4d wagon. :)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
thanks everyone for all the information. Now the only problem is finding a AMC eagle 4d wagon. :)

Good luck on your search. I used to live in the Denver area and it seems to be the place with the most Eagles for sale typically. Be a little patient and don't jump on the first one for sale if you don't feel comfortable with it's condition.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »
Welcome!  I'm in the Denver area, and availability of Eagles seems to go in cycles.  This spring, there were six listed on Craigslist at one time.  But I don't think I've seen one advertised on there for about a month.  Make sure you check Craigslist in CO Springs, Fort Collins, etc.  There is a wagon for sale in CO Springs right now.  Good luck, ask if you have any questions!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
Welcome to the nest, They come up quite frequently out there. Go to jaxed . com and put in amc eagle in the drop down. you can then choose just a state , region, or the blank space which will give you all eagles on all major internet sources

Offline Kyle G.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • "[Insert funny quote here]"
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »
Hi, I'm a few days late here but welcome to the nest.  Finding a good Eagle for sale can try your patience, but don't be discouraged.  All of the sudden you will find one out of the blue, probably sitting in someone's yard with a hand-made for sale sign taped in the window.  As for parts, have you checked out our links section?  There are some good sites listed there.  Also check out our Eagle Nest Store:  http://amceaglenest.com/enstore/index.php
Good luck finding that Eagle!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:32:54 PM by Kyle G. »
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon
1967 Rambler Rebel Sedan
1999 Ford F-150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
Hi, I'm a few days late here but welcome to the nest.  Finding a good Eagle for sale can try your patience, but don't be discouraged.  All of the sudden you will find one out of the blue, probably sitting in someone's yard with a hand-made for sale sign taped in the window. 

I was on the nest for about 6-7 months before I found my first one.  Then like a month later, someone pm'd me (a new member from my area) and said I could have one if I got it off his property by the next day.  The first one is parts for the second one.

As Kyle said, ya just gotta be patient.

Offline hodayoda

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
Hi my husband and I were riding he actually saw the Eagle for sale and said" i just saw the ugliest car and you are going to want it" I jumped and said yesssss!!!! A lady ran the mail in town had one when I was a kid 20+ years ago. Best car we ever bought just get ready for people saying what is it can I buy it all day everyday parts are available online I get some at Autozone and places like that. They aren't overly priced main problem I have had is mine is an  88 so I have to tell them 87 to get parts but hope you get it:)

Offline chiboy

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Re: parts
I have never had difficulties getting for them here in Minneapolis/Saint Paul MN. I have an 87 wagon that just had the tranny go out, no problem finding another because I am using a 727 tranny from a grand wagoneer my old one was also a 727, lasted ten years.

Lately i have been thinking about selling my honey
You can read about my mods in my posts

Chiboy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:25:48 AM by chiboy »

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
Tuf, I'll be picking up a wagon later this month, 83, auto, manual windows, locks, seats (I think manual seats) with spotless interior, very clean straight body, excellent engine. It needs very little work, just a good 80k mile service and possibly a torque converter, all of which I will do myself. I will make sure the car is completely daily driver ready before I sell, which shouldn't take me long, if you're interested. I don't have pics up right now, but I can show you the general idea with the old pics from my car, as this one has the identical interior mine originally came with, and identical exterior color. Though, this one has ac and mine doesn't.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:21:58 AM »
Welcome to the nest..I live just west of colorado springs. Subaru outbacks are great cars...but theres just something about an Eagle. Youll know it the second you sit in one. It feels like no other car you have driven. Mechanical parts  are fairly easy to come by. Ive never had a situation where a part was not available...mechanical parts atleast. Body trim and interior parts are a little harder to come by, still not all that bad especially if you get a wagon...sx4's and Kambacks are quite a bit harder to come by. Good luck which ever direction you decide to go.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:54 AM »
Theres another thing about Eagles i forgot to mention that any potenial Eagle owner should know. They are a unibody vehicle. They did have the tendency to rust in certain areas. Before buying make sure to look the car over top to bottom for any seriuos underbody rot. If You are looking at sedans look under the vinyl top if you can ...because those were huge hot spots for rust. Rust is these things worst enemy..

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
             HI     well  Shane you covered every thing pretty good.well done. I egged you...............Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:46 PM »
Thanks Don...I love eggs ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk