News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will a Jeep CJ steering box fit my 81 eagle?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Will a Jeep CJ steering box fit my 81 eagle?
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:58:06 PM »
The steering suddenly became quite erratic on my 81 SX/4 so I need a new steering box.  The spousal unit doesn't want to buy a remanufactured unit as he says they are usually in worse shape than the core you return to them.  I read that the XJ  (Cherokee) and ZJ (Grand Cherokee) Jeep boxes bolt directly on, hubby knows someone with a Jeep CJ, will that steering box swap to my Eagle and do you know what the steering ratio is on it?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Will a Jeep CJ steering box fit my 81 eagle?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »
After some digging I found the CJ steering box is either a 17:1 or a 17.5:1 ratio:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/what-is-a-good-steering-ratio.2395349/

Apparently it has a 13/16 input shaft and 36 splines, although I still don't know if that swaps for the one in my SX/4.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »
I don’t think so. I think the Jeep CJ boxes are 4 bolts for mounting and I think the hose connections are different too.
I think the Jeep XJ Cherokee boxes might be the same. Still looking into it as I need to replace my box, pump and reservoir too.
If the XJ boxes turn out to be the same I was planning to use a heavier duty aftermarket box.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:49:04 PM »
I don’t think so. I think the Jeep CJ boxes are 4 bolts for mounting and I think the hose connections are different too.
I think the Jeep XJ Cherokee boxes might be the same. Still looking into it as I need to replace my box, pump and reservoir too.
If the XJ boxes turn out to be the same I was planning to use a heavier duty aftermarket box.

Thanks.  According to this thread the boxes from the XJ and ZJ are direct swaps:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=46302.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:11:14 PM »
I would say an xj does swap, but you probably already seen that.

Manitowoc WI

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
I would say an xj does swap, but you probably already seen that.

Thanks for affirming that.  :)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 11:26:25 AM »

Thanks.  According to this thread the boxes from the XJ and ZJ are direct swaps:

I followed this link and read that thread, including eaglefreek's comments.  Seems to me he did a more detailed write-up when he did the first steering box swap so if you haven't found that one yet, it may be worth doing some more digging.  Good luck!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 02:36:24 PM »

I followed this link and read that thread, including eaglefreek's comments.  Seems to me he did a more detailed write-up when he did the first steering box swap so if you haven't found that one yet, it may be worth doing some more digging.  Good luck!!

I've been through the whole steering and suspension section and didn't notice it,  maybe I missed it or perhaps in project cars?  I'll have a look again,  thanks.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 12:07:59 PM »

I've been through the whole steering and suspension section and didn't notice it,  maybe I missed it or perhaps in project cars?  I'll have a look again,  thanks.

I think this is the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=37299.0

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »
Thanks Vangremlin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk