News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Restoration starts!- '80 Eagle Turbo Diesel  (Read 64831 times)

80SpiritGT

Re: The Restoration starts!- '80 Eagle Turbo Diesel
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
oops :-[

;D

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
I had fuel too, but I had enough of a little blockage that it wouldn't run.  Did you try a compression test?  IIRC 300psi is approaching bad.  How'd the lobes on the cam look?  Just found the following info.

Normal compression is between 345 to 435 psi with an allowable difference between cylinders of 40 psi. The minimum compression should be no less than 260 psi.

I got the car running a month ago. I pulled the head and had a valve job done. I found that not to be the problem with the compression, as it did the same thing after the head was installed. Before installing the head, I put solvent in all of the cylenders to see how bad the rings leaked. They did not leak at all that I could tell. The problem was that the car had been sitting for a long time, and no oil on the cylender walls (washing them with solvent did not help either). After squirting oil in the cylenders through the glow plug holes, it started!I have put about 2,000 miles on it before converting it to run on Vegetable Oil. I will start another topic in "Lobby" and post photos.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 10:22:49 PM »
I did some more work on the Eagle this weekend. I pulled out the battery box from in front of the rear axle (dumb place for a battery) and the cables, and am going to mount the battery back in the engine compartment where it belongs. The weather has been warm here lately, so I should be doing more work on the car soon. I have received most of the interior parts from Mark (fishmoek) and will be working on the interior also.I will post photos as it progresses. I will be converting it to run on Vegetable oil as well. You can look in "Lobby" for the thread "Diesels running on Vegetable Oil"
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 07:00:43 AM »
Sounds like you have made great progress.  2K on the engine must mean she is still a good one.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »
I was hoping to get the '80 TurboDiesel Eagle ready for the Convention, but I am afraid it is not going to happen short of a Miricle. I have been working on other important projects, so the Eagle project has been put aside. I will also have a problem getting off work even if the Eagle was running. Maybe next year it will be road worthy and I can drive it to the convention whereever it is. I will still post photos, and write of the progress in this thread. 

Offline eaglewagon1

• i wish i could have my camaro AND my eagle.
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Camaro Time!
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »
any news on the resto?
1979 Camaro z28  < daily driver, 350/4 speed
1989 chevy shortbed (partial sport package)
1984 IMAGINARY AMC Eagle

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:33 AM »
Still have not had time to work on it, too many other projects. When I get time, I plan to pull the head with a bad head gasget, and fix it so it runs riught. It also has a huge transmission fluid leak, and that will be next. If the trans has to be removed, the engine and trans needs to come out together. The bolts holding the trans to the engine are covered buy the oil pan, and the engine needs to be removed to take the oil pan off-FUN!

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 12:38:24 AM »
Sounds like fun to me.  Can't wait until you can get around to it.  I can definitely understand the trouble with having too many projects.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • Car Crazy Central profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »
Are you doing a ground up resto?
MMN2 Burnett
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Project
1979 AMX that will probably never run
1993 Jeep Cherokee (Rest in peace)

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »
Hey there...I.E. just moved my "1982 Concord" thread to the project car section and I ran across your thread on the Diesel!

Man...I am shocked...I never even knew. I know this probably hasn't crossed your mind but...it may prove to be slightly intriguing for you....

http://www.greasecar.com/

Just a thought...I have been looking at some Merc. Benz 300D to do a veggie oil conversion on...then I seen your thread...I weas like..."Wow...the best of both worlds! Free Fuel and an AMC!!! COOL!!!" You could help make the world a greener place...one AMC at a time!!!  ;)

Good luck with your project!!!

JB

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »
Hey there...I.E. just moved my "1982 Concord" thread to the project car section and I ran across your thread on the Diesel!

Man...I am shocked...I never even knew. I know this probably hasn't crossed your mind but...it may prove to be slightly intriguing for you....

http://www.greasecar.com/

Just a thought...I have been looking at some Merc. Benz 300D to do a veggie oil conversion on...then I seen your thread...I weas like..."Wow...the best of both worlds! Free Fuel and an AMC!!! COOL!!!" You could help make the world a greener place...one AMC at a time!!!  ;)

Good luck with your project!!!

JB

You must have read my mind, as I already plan to run it on Veg Oil with a Lovecraft Single Tank Conversion. http://www.lovecraftbiofuels.com .  I already have a 300CD, and a 190D running with the Lovecraft system.
 I also have a 4 cyl Turbodiesel engine and trans from a Dodge D50 that I would like to stuff in my Suzuki Samurai.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:06:29 PM by rollguy »

80SpiritGT

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »
Just my $.02....

I still say Biodiesel is much safer for a diesel engine. If you do not get the veggie oil hot enough before it hits the injectors you will destroy the engine. Its happend to five people here that I know of using kits sold on the internet via multiple manufacturers.

Biodiesel is extremely easy to produce, and requires no modifications to your engine except for seal and fuel hose upgrades to a compatible material.

If you were driving anything else I would say burn veggie oil! But the Diesel your talking about is pretty rare is it not? I would not want to risk damaging it beyond repair by burning a fuel that could harm the machine.

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 12:17:27 PM »
I have been reading up on the veggie oil movement A lOT lately and I have read that Bio Diesel is great and easy to make at home but very time consuming and most people that make it say that it ends up costing about 1.00 a gallon BUT...when the person's time is factored into the equation...its not worth it. A guy on the Bio Fuels forum wrote that recently. The Waste Veggie Oil or WVO...is just really easy to do as long as its filtered properly...ussually a 2 stage set up is the way to go...first filter out the coarse stuff...then filter out the fine stuff.

Your right about warming up the oil...the temp gauge needs to be accurate...and I would spend up on the stuff needed to insure that accuarcy...I wouldn't go cheap on something so important. I am not 100% on all the details but...I wonder if the temp gauge is mounted IN the oil and not on the outside of the tank. That would be the best way to get the accurate reading...make sure the oil is up to temp and not the tank itself.

Rollguy...how was the coversion process? Are you glad you did it? did you do it yourself or did you have Lovecraft install it? I personally like Lovecraft for the Mercedes stuff...but I like Greasecar for the Volkswagan stuff. Either way...I totally believe in the movement...I like it...and frankley...if I could get any kind of fuel for free...worrying about MPG would be a thing of the past. I only drive 50 miles a day but that equates to 250 dollars a month...before I was driving 100 miles day and that costed me about 500 dollars a month. Now...I would like to get a diesel and convert to WVO and not spend a nickel on fuel anymore. I would love to save 250 a month...who wouldn't? Once you run a WVO or even Straight veggie oil (SVO)...MPG become meaningless...I am ready to sell my Caprice that won't stop leaking rad. fluid and get an old Merc. Benz or a VW and convert. A Merc. Benz would be nice because they aren't as expensive as lets say a VW...and there wouldn't be any worrying about voiding an extended warrenty on the Merc. benz...but I sure would hate to blow the engine...that would make the whole gross experiment worthless.

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »
Ahhh...RollGuy...I just read some of your posts over at LoveCraft's forum...too funny!!!

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »
My wife's brother makes his bio diesel from used cooking oil he gets from convenience stores.  His entire refinery is home made.  I think he can bring off about 40 or 50 gallons at a time.
He mixes it with diesel in his older Dodge Ram, and runs it straight in a big generator.
He says it costs him about $1/gallon.
His name and location are confidential.  He doesn't want the tax man after him.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk