News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:13:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold clatter  (Read 1046 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Cold clatter
« on: February 27, 2023, 08:38:48 PM »
I was talking to birdman about this off-forum and either it's an exhaust issue from being unable to torque my manifold bolts to spec or something else has gone wrong since the engine was rebuilt 8 months ago. Yes it had a very carefully monitored break-in period.

You start the car cold and it cranks fine, starts fine and revs fine. Give it about 30 seconds and it starts making a clicking or clacking like you expect of a diesel engine. Becomes more pronounced with load and it changes with RPM. Sounds like piston slap, but this has bored cylinders, new pistons and new rings. Bearings are unlikely as that is all still basically new as well. I doubt the rings have failed to seat.
But the weird part is you give it two or three minutes and it goes away and doesn't come back again under load or RPM until you park the car and let it go cold again.

Talked to the machine shop because it's still under warranty for another four months and they suspected it is a very small exhaust leak that opens as the manifold warms up but seals again once its hot. They are aware that the manifold has been machined because I brought it into them last November because I found it had a bad warp and a burned gasket.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Cold clatter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 11:55:20 PM »
My new stroker install I had to re-torque the intake exhaust bolts after about 300 miles found all to turn about 1-2 flats of the bolts. I think it depends on the gasket material how much it crushes on first install and after heat cycles.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Cold clatter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 11:14:57 AM »
I was able to get the manifold bolts tightened to spec and it's a lot quieter now, so we are going to write this one off as a self-sealing exhaust leak.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk