News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Meaning of SX/4  (Read 1676 times)

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Meaning of SX/4
« on: January 03, 2023, 07:42:59 PM »
I'll try this again.  Haven't been able to figure out how to post as the most current topic so that anyone logging on will see my new post!  I'm just trying to find out exactly what AMC meant by SX/4.  It had to have a meaning or they wouldn't have used it, right?  Any references listed for your answer will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Alan Golbov

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Meaning of SX/4
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:48:19 PM »
I think nobody replied to your prior post, because nobody here has any idea!!    Would be a good question for Pat Foster (AMC historian).   Could be it was just something that floated up in a marketing guy's alphabet soup during his lunch break.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »
I think nobody replied to your prior post, because nobody here has any idea!!    Would be a good question for Pat Foster (AMC historian).   Could be it was just something that floated up in a marketing guy's alphabet soup during his lunch break.

Along the lines of the OP's question, I've always been interested in how Suzuki also picked up and used the "SX4" nomenclature, minus the slash between the x and 4. 

When AMC was purchased by Chrysler, did all the corporate logos and names go up for grabs?  I assumed that NOT to be the case as Chrysler released the Dodge Spirit in the 90's and now the Hornet SUV.  I don't know trademark law, but the omission of the slash doesn't seem enough to differentiate one "SX/4" from the other "SX4".

Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 09:25:20 AM »
Or how about Volvo glomming on to using "Cross Country" for their station wagons, right after AMC ended?  Didn't AMC have the original use of Cross Country for their station wagons from the 50's and 60's?

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 07:50:44 AM »
Hello,
    The SX/4 based on the AMC Spirit - SX/4 meant - Sport Experimental 4 wheel drive. Similar to the naming of the AMX which meant - American Motors Experimental. Hope this helps............
                                                                        Regards, Iron Horse  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk