News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Dealership Video - Anyone seen it?  (Read 4613 times)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Eagle Dealership Video - Anyone seen it?
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
I stumbled on it by accident last spring and it was an interactive videodisc for training AMC dealers. The end of the video started to drop out because of disc rot but it was otherwise all there.
I didn't think to download it for safekeeping and now that I need to check something about it the video and another near identical one that faired a bit better for quality have vanished. All I can find now are small portions of the disc like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcaseePns-g

I'd love to find and buy the disc if someone here has it (it's embedded with a very old and very special data encoding that only the first few laserdisc players support) but even if someone knows where the ripped video went I can work with that too. Please tell me I was not the only one who saw it.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Eagle Dealership Video - Anyone seen it?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
You are definitely not the only one that saw it on YT.  I was wondering where it went as well a couple weeks ago when I went searching for it again.  It was a cool video.  I believe it had the "greased incline" demonstrations/ comparisons of the Eagle VC 4-wheel drive system vs. either Subaru or Toyota.

As I have no laserdisc player, I'd love to get a digital version of the video as well if it ever turns-up.

"More Tough Action from American Motors" -- a delightfully '80s Marlboro-man-esque, tough-guy motto.  I know you can hear the guy's voice as you read those words...  :)

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »
Yep, That's the one. There was a section demonstrating how the Eagle could climb a greased incline with the rear wheels spinning and another where they demonstrated no wheel hop.

I am swimming in laserdisc players right now and hoping to get access to a project in the next 6 to 8 months that lets me rip laserdiscs by extracting the signal coming off the laser before it gets turned into a video signal, which would give you the highest possible quality video. It's a big project that a few of my more nerdy friend have been watching get developed  for a few years - https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 05:10:55 PM »
I think I found it.
There is someone on ebay right now selling small lots of AMC/Renault training discs and one of them included the disc for the 1985 model year Eagle. The price was very steep but considering the original video I was referring to in this thread has never resurfaced I might as well grab it and hope it will dump without rot issues. It should arrive in the mail within a week or so.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:11:19 PM by MIPS »

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 12:13:12 AM »
After three months of work the discs have arrived.

I don't immediately see classic disc rot but I do see the aluminized reflective layer is speckling so it's been reacting with the glue. I'll need to pull out one of my VP-1000's after a few other projects are dealt with and try dumping it.

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 02:16:05 AM »
Initial tests look good. The disc has some rot but unlike the last disc uploaded online I can get a full capture of the entire disc!

(ignore the red stripe. It's a bad LCD but the display itself is $800)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 01:32:06 AM »
It's digitized and the sleeve images are now processed. I'm just running into a few weird issues with the upload and then I can post the link here.

Edited: Youtube is absolutely not being happy with "I'm so Excited" playing over a compilation video Renault added near the end. The plan is I'll upload the video in raw dump and alternately trimmed and deinterlaced, plus both sides of the sleeve and the supplement letter that comes with the disc kit on the Internet Archive, then try to make an edited version go on Youtube that doesn't make ContentID so unhappy. You might of briefly seen it pop up last night with a link then vanish this morning. For some reason it processed weirdly and was generating random extra files, so it was deleted. I'll try and get it back up tonight.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 02:26:07 PM by MIPS »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 12:02:11 PM »
Very cool!  Thanks!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 12:50:00 PM »
Very cool video, thank you for sharing. Hopefully I’ll get to watch the rest this afternoon.
Haven’t used my last disk player in at least 10 years. Good to see someone else has a collection of antique electric equipment.
Since my internet connection usually stinks, I finally got the video to work. It was a very capable vehicle for the day. Still is in my opinion. Only vehicle I ever had that was better in deep snow was a big lifted dodge 4X4 pickup.

So apparently I only saw the intro yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:14:11 AM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 11:56:57 PM »
Okay, after a false start, it's live.

https://archive.org/details/amc-124-a-85_202307

You get a photo of the disc, the sleeve front and back, the supplement document AMC shipped with it and two versions of the disc: The original as I digitized it in an interlaced video format (it's a 6gb file) and a "retouched" video that I have trimmed the start to frame 1, deinterlaced and compressed it (down to just 1gb)
The digital noise you hear in the right audio channel was to "program" the videodisc player so the dealership could control the interactive menus from the remote without any additional hardware.

I have digitized the other discs seen in the above lot and I'll try to get them up in the next few weeks but they are all directed at Renault products, which I don't think we care for here. :P
Oh yeah, AMC it seems had all their dealership and training discs manufactured by Technidisc. In the early to mid 80's they were famous for very poor quality discs that "rot". The video distortion and popping in the audio is a result of that and the Eagle's disc was surprisingly the best of the four discs I purchased. One of them was so bad I had to pull out a second player because the laser could not lock-in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:24:38 AM by MIPS »

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 08:24:09 AM »
Thank you so much for your efforts!  This is amazing work, as the preservation of this media for our chosen hobby vehicles is critical to the understanding of how the Eagle fit in with the evolving AMC sales situation in the mid-to-late 80's, even as it increasingly became an anachronism.

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
The last of the discs I have went up last night. They are all from 1985/1986 mind you but people really want too much money for these discs online to justify buying every disc I see.

https://archive.org/details/ajr-129-85 - Selling Practices
https://archive.org/details/ren-122-85 - 1985 Renault Products
https://archive.org/details/ren-128-85 - Renault Encore & Alliance
https://archive.org/details/8981-321-171 - Fuel Injection
https://archive.org/details/8981-321-181 - Wet Sleeve Engines

Each link contains both sides of the disc, photographs of both sides of the disc, both sides of the sleeve the disc is stored in and scans of any other documentation that might of been included.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 12:25:36 PM by MIPS »

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 10:49:34 AM »
Absolute gold.  Thank you for your work to get these available for everyone!

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk