News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: turn an amc spirit into an sx4 by bolting the sx4 diveline to it  (Read 1725 times)

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
turn an amc spirit into an sx4 by bolting the sx4 diveline to it
« on: September 05, 2021, 12:04:52 PM »
Hello, i bought an sx4 off a junkyard a few weeks ago, i am now seeing that it is extremely rusty, and will be a challenge to repair, i also found a spirit that has no rust, and was wondering if i could just bolt the sx4 drive line to the spirit, to essentially turn it into an sx4

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: turn an amc spirit into an sx4 by bolting the sx4 diveline to it
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »
And if possible i was wondering how difficult it would be

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »
The floor pans are different on the spirit and the SX4 to allow for the transfer case.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »
How much different? Could i cut the transmission channel out of my sx4 and weld i in the spirit?

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »
How much different? Could i cut the transmission channel out of my sx4 and weld i in the spirit?
and what about the front end? I mean the differential

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
You could change out the floor pans if your motivated to take on such a project. The front diff would have to swap over the front crossmember as those are different and the diff bolts to the engine and swap all the front suspension parts to keep the 4WD.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 09:39:00 PM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 02:28:26 AM »
Well my sx4 basically has no floorpans except for the transmission channel, and the doorsills are no longer connected to the floor due  to the rust

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »
Well thanks, but whatever you sent isnt loading for me, im on my phone since computer is in for repair... Mabye thats the problem :P

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
I also dont know , what levels of rust are worth repairing, im sortof out of money right now after buying my own powertools , and welding equipment , and i would like to have it done by winter..... I guess the closest Eagle that i found in terms of rusting is prya's eagle, and i do not have a sheet metal brake
Edit: also reading throu prya,s resto job i noticed that hes in the same province and area as i am ,mabe ill see if i can get in touch with him....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 12:13:01 PM by GECKO77 »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
Hello GECK077,

Not having seen your SX/4,  from your description it sounds like its not worth repairing if the doorsills are so rusty that they're not connected to the floor, you'd have an easier time of it converting the Spirit into an  SX/4 4 wheel drive.  Cutting out the transfer case part of the floor pan from an SX/4 (assuming you can find one or someone to cut one out for you and ship to you) and welding it into your Spirit and swapping the mechanicals sounds like less work than doing the rust repairs on your SX/4 but why don't you post some pictures of the rust so we can see how bad it is.  One area of concern is where the front of the leaf springs mount to the floorboards, if that needs repairs I don't think I'd want to do it but I don't want to do much these days anyway.

I'm a woman, by the way.  Here I am with my current project, a 79 Corvette:

Priya
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:44:59 PM by priya »

Offline GECKO77

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:58 PM »
Thats a really nice vette, and yes my eagle is rusty there too, the transmission channel and the rear are the only places where its not rusty , when it comes to the floor. Ill post some pictures tomorrow, i do not know if you have instagram , but i have posted some pictures there , on my account : canuck_cars

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk