News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?  (Read 13715 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Napa lists a reman axle shaft for our Eagles, P/N NMD 958130.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMD958130?partTypeName=CV+Driveshaft+-+Front&keywordInput=output+shaft

It's a reasonable $65 per axle if one can get past the $78 core charge!   :o

I don't know if they're better than anyone else's remans, but I've tended to trust Napa stuff better than the other parts houses in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Napa P/N I've listed above?

Thanks!
David

I bought a reman axle from NAPA, can't confirm the number right now but it's performing fine.

It always makes me laugh when I see a part like this where the core charge is higher than the reman part - what they are basically saying is that your old busted up axle is more valuable than the remanufactured one  :rotfl:

I didn't get around to installing my axle from NAPA for 2-3 years but kept my receipt and took the old axle in and they still refunded me my core charge.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?

It always makes me laugh when I see a part like this where the core charge is higher than the reman part - what they are basically saying is that your old busted up axle is more valuable than the remanufactured one  :rotfl

No kidding, eh?!?

Last time I bought a CV shaft locally, about 10 years ago, the core charge was getting very close to the purchase price of the reman'd axle!!!   Thought it was ridiculous back then, too!!!  ::)

Too bad I'd lost my receipt by the time I installed it years later!!   :-[

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Good point on the length, Mac, I had totally missed that.  I always pick up and pay at my local Napa in person, so I'd just bring one of my old axles with me to compare.  If the reman one(s) were wrong, I wouldn't even have to pay for them; they would just send them back.

I have to see how badly I want to change the SurTrack AM8001 axles out before I do anything with Napa.  I haven't even driven on them yet, so they're still literally brand new.  But I destroyed the boxes like an idiot so I doubt RockAuto would ever take them back now.

I don't ever plan to rally race this Eagle like amarshall practically did with his, so maybe the AM8001s will be fine for basic driving.   :)

Thank you!
David

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:00:26 PM by djm3452004 »
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2023, 06:54:04 PM »
Just got the replacement shafts, for the ones that I bought through autozone, that were too short in the inner bearing housing.  Two shafts, identical "new" unit box!a, same par, numb!r, but one of the shafts inner housing was an inch shorter... 2.5" versus the correct 3.5".

How can they be sending qrong eimension parts, mixed withbcorrect ones?  Quality control nowadays seems nonnexiwtent......

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2023, 10:29:18 PM »
These from Advance Auto Parts are supposed to be about 4 inches on the inner Part # NCV82001
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2023, 02:05:20 AM »
Yep; should be 4 inches as rmick said - even 3.5 is a wee bit shorter than it should be.  I think the axle dudes are only looking at total axle length and bolt/spline pattern.  Probably don't even think about travel within the housing.   That's what happens when the bean counters run the show.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
I measured the 3.5" from the outboard side of the inner housing flange where it meets the diff housing, so seeing that the bearing sleeve runs through that, I would say that total possible bearing travel is 4".

And it was through carquest, same part number as the advance listed above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk