News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is it?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Idaho eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Where is it?
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
Hi everyone, my 81 Mountain Eaglet with the 2.5L engine appears to be missing the spark advance CTO.  Where is it supposed to be located? 
I do know where the EGR CTO is.  Also, I do know where the TVS for the EGR is.

The vacuum diagrams in the
 Chilton's manual are clear enough.   (1981, 2.5L, iron Duke, manual transmission, non AC)

I had expected to see this in the intake manifold but could not find it. Could it be in the block somewhere?  Anyway, I haven't been able to find it. :rotfl:

Offline Idaho eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Where is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
Found it! :blob1:   it looks like I had the EGR CTO and the spark advance CTO confused. The spark advance CTO is located next to the thermostat and has three ports. 

" The EGR CTO valve (fig. 1J-119) is located in the coolant passage at the right rear side of the cylinder head on the four cylinder engine...".  1981 Technical Service Manual page 1J60.         Since all that's left is a melted blob of plastic and rubber, and since I was looking on the intake manifold, i had completely missed it.  Next is to call a friend in Illinois who should be able to get a new CTO for me.

Offline Idaho eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
Hi again,. I found some part numbers to share.  And since I do not have permission to add to or change any of the eaglepedia, and since this concerns the EGR CTO, then I'll post the information here.   Dear moderator, you may want to move this post, or place a copy of it to the part numbers section. Thanks.

PART Numbers for EGR CTO:
1981, American Motors, Eagle, 2.5L, Manual Transmission, without Air Conditioning

Group 4.704-1 SWITCH, Vacuum Ported

79       Four.                          322-8288
         79-82  Six.                            322-5912
         79-82  Six.                            322-8288

You can get this through Standard Engine Management,  a wholesale/ jobber/ distributor. Their part number is  PVS71.   The description lists: 3/8"-18, temp 117 degrees F., AMC 322 5912,  AMC 322 8288, and several Pontiac numbers.

I went to O'Reilly's to cross reference and get a price comparison.  They  have part number EC920  from manufacturer BWD.

This 'switch' sells for about $22.

Now that I have the EGR CTO  (notice how the name changes from one manufacturer, retailer, parts book, or service manual to another- Switch, Vacuum Ported) ordered, I need to remove the intake manifold so as to have room to turn a wrench..  while I have that off I'll set the engine at TDC and adjust the distributor to be able to hook up the vacuum advance hose.   

A tip for anyone replacing vacuum hoses ( or even heater hoses, etc.) Is to mark the new hoses with a drop of white paint to indicate to myself that that is a hose that I have replaced.  I use a paint pen that I got from Walmart.  I'll even put a drop of paint on hose clamps, power steering  hoses, and so on to indicate items that have been replaced.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:44:43 PM »
good job man, and good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:26 AM »
I will see what i can do.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Idaho eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:20:57 PM »
The PVS71  is 3/8 inch pipe thread and the part out of the head is 1/2 inch pipe thread. 
Also the ports are bigger.     Since this is nos and is not being manufactured now, then I'll have to work around.    If I take a pipe reducer and cut off the hex and some of the threads then that would allow the sensor part to be in the coolant.  There are nipples available that allow one to connect different size hoses together. They are a connector that is a double hose barb. Can get from Harbor Freight.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:03 AM »
You have the wrong part number for the EGR CTO.  Your P/N is for the "Audi" 4-cylinder from 1979.   The correct AMC P/N for the 1981 "GM" engine CTO is 8132343.   Hope you can cross that part number to something.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7