News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:16:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 eagle wagon lift and other questions  (Read 2988 times)

83eagleproject

1983 eagle wagon lift and other questions
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:29:45 PM »
So first off im new and am not sure if this is the right place for my questions.
About my Eagle
 I have 235/75/r15 mud terrains on it
I did 3 inch blocks in the rear, using the shocks from my 95 k2500 suburban
just put new shocks in the front
trimmed maybe an inch off the rear portion of the rear fenders and off the front of the front fenders
I also modified the mounts for the sway bar in the rear and trimmed about half an inch off the sway bar itself
Had to use 5/16 wheel spacers in the rear just because it was still a little close for my liking.
Thats really all i did when tit comes to the tires and lift.

Now that i have told you a little bit about my wagon, i have a few questions
1) front end lift
- how difficult is it?? I have read on here that probably a bigger spring like from a v8 javelin would be best
2) in the rear the only issue(i think) is the exhaust pipe was rubbing the drive line a bit. But i do have a vibration or noise when i hit thw brakes hard. I think it is just part of the drive line hitting the exhaust. But ive read some things about the angle being too much and im wondering exactly what the consequences may be with out shimming my blocks?
3) MOTOR SWAP! I am wondering if the newer 4.0's have the same blocks? Or how hard it would be to swap out my 258 for an entire 4.0. For instance, i have read that the problem with swapping a v8 in is the mounts foe the front differential. But if a 4.0 has bassically the same block, will those mounts all line up??

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 1983 eagle wagon lift and other questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:10:57 AM »
4.0 is a drop in basically. search the forum you should find lots of info i did two of these swaps. mine were carbed strokers however.

Manitowoc WI

83eagleproject

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »
Alright cool! Thanks. Im also wondering if there are stock manual transmissions for the 4.0 that i could possibly just drop in as well?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:51 AM »
The AX15, and T-5 are the popular choices for a manual trans. 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »
The other trans are not quite drop in as you need a custom trans crossbar. Search 4.0L swap on here for more about that.
4.0L motor bolts in, BUT if you plan EFI a bit more work is needed. Renix and '00 up HO intake fit but the earlier HO may interfere with the brake booster.

AFAIK, all the Eagles have brake lines towards the fender, but the 4 cyl models may have the lines towards the motor. I'd upgrade the rear axle for a 4.0L
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk