News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big angry eagle. Lift, stroker, aw4  (Read 40331 times)

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Big angry eagle. Lift, stroker, aw4
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
New guy here,

Ive always wanted an eagle since I was a kid, but the pickings are slim here in the missouri rust belt. Every once in awhile Id check craigslist but never find a decent example for sale.
This one popped up in conway, ar, and I had to check it out. 88 wagon, 100k miles, an old lady bought it new and it never saw any snow or offroad use, at all. Always garage kept. $1000 Sounded too good to be true.
Completely rust free, not one spot, anywhere on or under it. When I tore it down in February I was amazed, never found a speck of rust anywhere under it, all the chassis bolts came out looking new, even the catalytic converter bolts came right out. 
Body is very straight, good paint, and the interior looks like a brand new car!

I dont have any before pics:

First off, the wheezy 4.2 had to go.
Built a 4.6 stroker, no EFI, sticking with carb. weber 38 will go on it later. Found out the hard way that a cherokee serpentine setup will not work in the eagle, alternator hits the frame. You need to source that from a wrangler.

Engine and AW4 trans installed. to shift the trans Ive got one of these: http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Baja.html its a manual shifter that hooks up with just a couple of wires, throw that stock tcu and sensors away. A friend of mine has one in his xj and its awesome. I will have to hook up the Tv cable to the carb, but Im not there just yet.

For the transfer case I picked up a pair of 242 selec trac cases for $125 , one had a cracked case, the other blown up. I was able to take two and make one, eliminated the slip yoke while I was at it. I did have to whack the floor a little for the case to clear, under the drivers seat. the speedometer cable does clear, barely:

I havent built the 4wd shifter yet, not sure what to use there.

For the suspension Ive fabricated my own lift, staying IFS.
the subframe and drag link mounts have been spaced  off the frame, lowering the engine, front diff and lower a-arms 2" off the body

Tricky part is what to do with the steering and the upper control arms. Didnt have time to build new ones, so I built arm extensions to mount the ball joints out of 2x3" .250 wall rectangle tube, shaped to fit into the arm recess snugly. The problem most folks have extending the stock arms is getting the geometry correct. Im a good hand with suspension, built a pair of successful road race cars in the past.
By extending the ball joint straight  off the arm, you end up with positive camber, and also little to no caster.
with the two inch spacing I ended up offsetting the ball joint .6" inward and .25" toward the back.
at ride height there is exactly 0deg camber with the adjusting bolts centered, 6.5deg caster. The front geometry behaves itself through the full sweep of movement.

Now I had to do something with the steering, it had to drop 2" like everything else. I upgraded the p/s gear to a variable ratio box from a jeep zj and mounted it with a drop plate I made.

I cut the end of the stock column off and replaced it with a flexible gm unit

And I also had to drop the idler arm bracket as well:

I used a modified stock trans crossmember dropped 2" down and moved back to accomodate the longer trans:

With all that done all the suspension geometry and cv angles are the same as stock, but its all moved 2" away from the body.
The rear isnt done yet but Im using cherokee springs with a limited slip D35. I wanted a late model 8.25, but the d35 was a good deal.

Thats it so far, next I need to get the rear put together and figure out front vs. rear ride height.
I need to come up with or fab a 4wd shifter
Got to get a wrangler serpentine accessory set and install that

I need some parts though, cant find anything locally.
3.54 front axle
front skid plate
drivers ext. door handle

Also I have some nice parts to sell of or trade,
The 4.2 block and head are in fantastic condition, neither need any machine work. I stole the crank and rods for my stroker, but the rest of it is there with aluminum valve cover
np129 tcase with vaccum thingy

Prafeston

Re: Big angry eagle. Lift, stroker, aw4
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
Another fellow Missourian! Where are you located? There are a few of us out there...though I'm currently Eagless, I too am thinking of heading down to AR to purchase another one.

Looks like you had a very nice Eagle to start with and at a great price! Awesome build, you really put some work...and some math into this thing! Look forward to following!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:59:52 PM by Prafeston »

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
I like it.  What ignition are you running with?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »
Wow nice build! Can't wait till you road test it!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
Wow, I like it! This may be a solution for your transfer case shifter. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm Look forward to the finished product.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
Impressive. It's nice to see someone finally pull off a 2" upper control arm spacer. Its been suggested many times, but no one has ever posted a working example. You should be extremely proud of your Eagle.

What Slip Yoke Elminator kit did you use?
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
I really like the AW4 with manual shifter idea. Very nice work you've got there. Your best bet for a 3.54 front axle is finding a 4-cyl parts car, but you can also check in the "For Sale" section here.

I hope you'll at least give the underbody a thorough rubberized undercoating, if not something a little more "industrial". The factory Ziebart stuff isn't so great, at least not after 30 years, and rust is almost guaranteed if you drive it regularly. Good to have it protected before it shows up  ;D
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »
The factory Ziebart stuff isn't so great

That's a gross understatement. There were multiple lawsuits that put that company out of business. The argument is that the coating is oxygen permeable, so air still gets through and the paint underneath is still on its own to prevent rust. Then it also pulls away and traps moisture underneath it, causing premature rust to start. The Ziebert stuff may actually cause rot to form faster and be more deadly than paint on its own.

I blame that junk for doors rotting out along the kick strips. Give a door a good kick and the junk just cracks and falls off, exposing unpainted surfaces.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
I like the setup.  I am kind of partial to the body lift approach.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:39:54 AM »
I borrowed most of my front end ideas from your build thread, giving credit where its due.

I am from springfield mo,

going to use an Hei for ignition, keep it simple

Eaglefreek have you tried that novak shifter kit in an eagle? I was looking at it too but Im not sure if the brackets would fit the floor?

havent got a clue about tire sizes yet. I am reluctant to hack the fenders and quarters up to fit tires ,Id like to keep it reasonable, thinking maybe 30" 9.5?  I did install new espo springs along with the lift, so it may end up more like 3" lift? I also got some kyb gas a just shocks in there, they are fantastic on my big mopar, I figured the eagle would like a set too.

Did not use a kit for the sye, the only one you can get for the 242 is a hack and tap setup, I did that on my own using a 1.75" 3/8 allen bolt slathered in loctite. cut the shaft and existing yoke down.

For the exterior, Im building some massive bumpers, big roof rack, and I ended up getting a dozen repairable spotlight assemblies from work, so well see how many I can fit on there. Also I plan to repaint the maroon lower parts satin black along with matching wheels.

The one thing my car lacks that really bums me out is the woody side panels! is that a sticker treatment? or is there more to it? I want woody panels so bad.

I took my front axle to the diff shop along with a jeep 3.54 carrier and pinion before I figured out the 2.35 housing wont play along. So ill take any other ratio in a non-disco axle I can get Ive got a fine np129 ill trade for one, its got a good vaccum thingy with it.

hopefully Ill get this car done this summer, my mopar build stalled out and has been sitting a couple of years now. Ill finish it after the eagle is done. something about a stroked big block and $3.50 gas prices kinda put that one on the backburner

I bought a set of xj leaf springs off CL today for $50, got them home and found one was cracked badly! whoops. I guess Ill have to just buy new ones, all the used cherokee springs Ive found have been in terrible shape. I seriously doubt Ill be getting a refund.

Thanks for the kind words folks, when this thing gets near done Id like some help naming it, I still have no idear what to call it.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:22 AM »
The one thing my car lacks that really bums me out is the woody side panels! is that a sticker treatment? or is there more to it? I want woody panels so bad.

It is a sticker treatment. Though I am not really sure where everyone gets there's. I know Jim redid one side of his 88 wagon, he should know.
With woody's they had chrome trim framing around all the wood, though that shouldn't kill the deal. I think one could get away without the trim.

No more stealing Eagles form Arkansas, we have slim pickens as it is  ;)
Looks like this is going to be a nice build and an envious Eagle! Congrats!
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prafeston

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »
Jim actually did both sides of his 88. I'm not sure where he got the vinyl, but it is much darker than the original. I found some pretty close matches on Ebay and was going to do my skid plate on my old wagon. The company is called metro styling and the wood I went with was called teak.

I did try it on my Thule windscreen...was a lot harder to apply than some videos I had seen.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:31:08 AM by Prafeston »

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
Your craftsmanship is evident. I've seen the 242 SYE kits and realized you had found a different one or made your  own. It looks like you just unbolted the piece of aluminum that shrouds the slip yoke then cut the slip yoke down a few inches, drilled and tapped a hole, and then bolted the slip yoke in place. Was it difficult to drill and tap the hole? Did you use a different yoke?

Thanks for sharing your build! It is one of the most impressive I've ever seen.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 08:12:12 AM »

Eaglefreek have you tried that novak shifter kit in an eagle? I was looking at it too but Im not sure if the brackets would fit the floor?

No, I haven't. My lifted Eagle with a NP231 has some "custom" engineered linkage that doesn't want to go all the way back into 2wd once and a while and I thought about trying that some day.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
Btw, I live in Rolla and do come to Springfield some. Went to college at Drury in town there. Also j2sax lives south of Springfield a ways. He's got two Kammbacks and an SX/4.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk