News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 09:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Drive or Reverse  (Read 7460 times)

Offline WVSX/4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
No Drive or Reverse
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
Hello everyone! Recently I was given an opportunity to add another Eagle to my collection. Someone is selling one near where I live and at a very good price. Its a 1980 4-door sedan with 112k miles. Its interior and exterior are both in outstanding shape and it seems to be it good running condition.

There is only one hang up. The owner told me that first Drive went out, and shortly afterward Reverse also went out. Park still works and so does 1st and 2nd. After I checked out the car myself, I called my mechanic (an ex AMC technician).  He told me that it sounds like one of the bands is going bad.  He also said that it would be best for me to find another transmission in a salvage yard and that would cost about $650.  He said a rebuild would cost over $2000.

I just wanted to get some other opinions.  Is a transmission swap the best option?  If so, should I stay with the TF 998, or would a different type be better?  It's also worth mentioning that price is also a consideration with me.  I want to be able to save this Eagle, so any help is greatly appreciated.
1981 SX/4
1980 4 Door Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: No Drive or Reverse
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »
Did you check the fluid level? I don't know where you live, but a junkyard transmission is $150 in my area. It cost me $650 to have my transmission rebuilt and that included a new torque converter, but I removed and replaced the transmission myself.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline WVSX/4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think about the fluid. Maybe I just assumed the man selling it would have already checked that.

I will be going back to the car on Friday, and I will definitely check then. That would be great if that's all it is.

Also, I went ahead and mapped here to Fayetteville, TN. It's 11 hours away, but for only $150, it's definately something to think about. I'm reassured about buying the car because of the prices you're telling me.
1981 SX/4
1980 4 Door Sedan

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »
Sounds like a broken band to me, though 1st and reverse are on the same band, second and drive have their own.
I broke my second gear band a few years back while pulling a really big hill. The trans would start out in first, try to shift to second, rev the engine really high, and jump into 3rd (Drive) with a clunk. Managed to limp it home that way.

I then pulled it out myself, and I can't overhaul transmissions, but I can haul them over, to the transmission shop, where I had mine fully rebuilt for $650.

Hope this helps
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:27:39 AM »
Those prices seem really high.  I had my transmission rebuilt, and I think it was in the $600-700 range, and they pulled it and replaced it.  Like Eaglefreek says, a junkyard transmission should cost less than $200.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
I don't know why I didn't think about the fluid. Maybe I just assumed the man selling it would have already checked that.

I will be going back to the car on Friday, and I will definitely check then. That would be great if that's all it is.

Also, I went ahead and mapped here to Fayetteville, TN. It's 11 hours away, but for only $150, it's definately something to think about. I'm reassured about buying the car because of the prices you're telling me.
Unfortunately, I have only see 2 Eagles in junkyards in the 3 1/2 years I have been here.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:50:58 PM »
The high forward and reverse clutches went out. No bands engaged in drive. That said, switching to a 727 from a Grand Wagoneer was VERY nice in mine! I can tow without fear of snapping the converter neck now.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline LkN

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:53 PM »
$2000 to rebuild a 998 is more than padding the bill unless that price includes removing/reinstalling the transmission and a remaned torque converter.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »
$2000 to rebuild a 998 is more than padding the bill unless that price includes removing/reinstalling the transmission and a remaned torque converter.

If it included rebuilding the engine also, then it would be in the ballpark.  ;D

Offline WVSX/4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »
Bought her today for $300 and TRIED to bring her home.  I figured I would check the transmission fluid once the engine got warm after driving for a little while.  After about a mile or two of driving, I heard a belt snap and the power steering went out–I thought, okay, not too bad.  After about another two miles, I noticed the car was overheating.  At this point, I found a nice area to pull off at and I shut the engine off.  I tried to open the hood, but it wouldn't release.  I didn't have any pliers to release up front, so I couldn't open it and check any of the fluids.  I'm pretty sure the coolant is low, and there may be a leak.  I had to leave the car there.  A friend is going to help me pick it up tomorrow morning with his flatbed.

One thing to note about the transmission is that I tried putting it into drive at some point, and it worked!  Well, it worked for about a minute before it slipped back out of gear.
1981 SX/4
1980 4 Door Sedan

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
When the power steering goes there is no water pump

Manitowoc WI

Offline WVSX/4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »
Well, that would explain that.

:newbie:

I see now (just looked inside my SX/4).  Well, that's a relief.
1981 SX/4
1980 4 Door Sedan

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
You can pull a 998/999 out of a Wrangler with a 258 or 4.0. You'll just have to switch to the 4.0 flexplate and starter if you grab one of those but it's only a few more bolts to get the flywheel as well and the starter has to come out so it's not really any more work.

Any 4wd 3-speed 9XX mated to an AMC six or V8 after '72 will fit right in, physically. The 904s may be a little weak if you're hard on them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:20:31 PM by BenM »
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
You can pull a 998/999 out of a Wrangler with a 258 or 4.0. You'll just have to switch to the 4.0 flexplate and starter if you grab one of those but it's only a few more bolts to get the flywheel as well and the starter has to come out so it's not really any more work.

Any 4wd 3-speed 9XX mated to an AMC six or V8 after '72 will fit right in, physically. The 904s may be a little weak if you're hard on them.
Why would you have to switch flexplates? Are the torque converters different? I'm using a 4.0L YJ flexplate on my stock Eagle transmission so that I can use the later starter.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
Why would you have to switch flexplates? Are the torque converters different? I'm using a 4.0L YJ flexplate on my stock Eagle transmission so that I can use the later starter.

Sorry, I had myself confused on details... the tone ring and the difference in depth on the AW4 flexplate; I. As long as it's the Torqueflite it should swap directly.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk