News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 05:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 57995 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Well everyone, after searching and searching, I finally found my Eagle.  :) It needs some work like every other Eagle I've seen but the price was right and worth it considering how clean it is. This is the cleanest one I've ever seen in person. Here is what needs to be done.

It ran real lousy and would stall at low idles due to carburetor issues so we got a new MC 2100 Carburetor from Gronk.

It was missing the catalytic converter and some pipe so to get it to where I live we put on some flex pipe. We got a new converter and stainless steel pipe.

The headliner is sagging. I've got spray-on adhesive for that.

The headlight bulbs needed replacing. Only one would come on when low beams were on. All would come on when high beams were on. Got new bulbs.

It may need brake work. Found this out driving it home.  :o Luckily, me and the Eagle made it home safely.

Needs rear tires; will need front tires soon. A friend of mine has a friend that may be able to get me some tires that fit within my student budget.

Needs an inspection, hence the 2004 inspection sticker.

Aside from other not so important things like a trailer hitch, roof rack, alloy wheels, and installing my uncles old CB and Pioneer cassette radio, that's all it needs to get back on the road.

I have all the parts sitting in the car ready to be installed, I'm just waiting for a day I'm free of school or work. I look forward to getting her back on the road and taking her to our local car show (where I don't recall ever seeing something AMC made) and using this site to help me do just that.  :)

Here are some pictures.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:34:15 PM by EagleJoe93 »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

rohnk

Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
Nice wagon! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd like to find a nice wagon like that some day so I can take my family around in comfort. The SX/4 is a little cramped for the kids!

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »
The same time this was for sale there was a 1983 Sx4 with the 258 and 4-speed manual for $600 that I also wanted to go see. Unfortunately that was sold before I could see it. Still happy with my wagon.  :)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
I meant to add a shot of the instrument cluster. I found one with 87k miles and one with a tachometer instead of a clock! Also, notice something else that hasn't 'broken off'.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:34:45 PM by EagleJoe93 »

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »
Hood release handle! Good score just for that.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
is that turquoise 4 door in the background a 55 or 56 chevy. oh and congats on your new bird.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
Thank you. Yes, that would be where my obsession with old cars started, my dad's 1957 Chevrolet 210 sedan. Now me and my dad have our own classics to take to our local show, though I've never seen an AMC there. Well, looks like I'll be representing.  :amc:  :)

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:32 PM »
I'm envious of your options!  Looks great!
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »
Thank you. Yes, that would be where my obsession with old cars started, my dad's 1957 Chevrolet 210 sedan. Now me and my dad have our own classics to take to our local show, though I've never seen an AMC there. Well, looks like I'll be representing.  :amc:  :)
nice dude. this may get me hanged here for saying this but since i was about seven years old my dream car has always been a 57 chevy 2 door sedan on steroids.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »
Currently every part on a 57 chevy is reproduced, from the nuts and bolts to whole bodies. Wouldn't that be nice for eagles.  ;D Our chevy isn't going anywhere. It's been in the family since new and we intend to keep it that way. Also, not meaning to turn this into a wanted ad but does anyone have a cargo liner that matches this interior color?

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
Great score EagleJoe!

Tach! Center Gauge Cluster! Nice Leather! Low Miles! Unbroken Hood Release!

Looks good man. I see you are missing the bottom rubber/chrome trim pieces on both your rear doors. Are they in the car somewhere or are you gonna be in need of those?

Also, you never mentioned what year it was. I'm guessing post '85 since it has the power bulge hood. I've never seen a radio like that in an Eagle either.

How much did you pay for this beauty?

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
Those pieces are in the car along with the rest of the parts to be installed. Just need to glue them on. It's a 1986. It says so in the post title. I guess I should make it a little bit more clearer next time. I paid $1300 and that was what we offered. I think the radio is one of those ones with a digital tuner. It sounded really nice to my surprise for 26 year old audio equipment. Speakers seemed to rattle a bit and when I tested the cassette player, it seemed to play low at first then it picked up. Heads may need to be cleaned.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:59:46 AM by EagleJoe93 »

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Nice!!! Cassette?? What's that?!? ;}

Prafeston

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
First of all, I'm a dummy! Duh it's in the title. I was just in a pinch looking to see what year it was in the original thread, but it's not mentioned in the text there...just the title...but I overlooked it. Whoops!

As for the tape deck...yeah, mine needs help too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTnseDGqUw

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »
It's not quite like that. It plays at normal speeds but it played at a very soft level and then after a while it plays like it should. I'm pretty sure all it needs is a cleaning, or I could replace it with my uncles old dual knob Pioneer cassette deck or a newer Sears brand cassette deck with an auxiliary jack. Does anyone know what size the speakers are? Also, in the photo that shows the radio; was there supposed to be something next to it. There is some adhesive there and I have no clue what was there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk