General > Cone of Confusion

Stumped the oil change guys

(1/5) > >>

Zoro:
I usually never let ANYBODY turn wrenches on my cars unless I absolutely have to but the Eagle was way overdue for an oil change so I took it to the Castrol quick change place. Surprisingly I was in and out in under 15 minutes! The best part was they didn't even try to sell me stuff I didn't need, trans flush, wipers, air filter etc...

When I went to settle the bill I had an interesting conversation with the clerk.

Them:
"We almost couldn't do your oil change. We tried looking your car up in the computer and it didn't come up with the part # for the filter"

Me:
"What did you do, look it up as a Jeep?"

Them:
"No, punched in the VIN and it brought up the oil filter #. Funny thing is that's the only part we can get. If you want an air filter you have to go to Advanced Auto or Napa."

The oil change guys did seem to be impressed by the car, definitely not something they see every day!

Prior to going to the oil change place I stopped by vatozone and got an air filter. While installing the filter there were several people walking by who knew exactly what I was driving and shared their Eagle stories from yesteryear. Always neat to hear stories like that.

amcbigeagle:
Just when I think that all is lost and the whole place is going to hades in a handcart, young generation is over the edge, (enter any old fogie adage here) I was at O'Reillys getting something for the 86 Eagle and not only did they speak fluent AMC but knew at a glance out the window what I was driving. Also stopped at a local gas station and when I went inside to pay for the petrol, the  young lady behind the counter made my whole day when she told me "that is the sweetest car I have ever seen. What is it?"

IowaEagle:
Fluent AMC should count as a second language.

83Eagle!:

--- Quote from: IowaEagle on January 01, 2012, 10:08:22 PM ---Fluent AMC should count as a second language.

--- End quote ---

Amen

I took my Eagle to the local oil change place once, and they immediately were like, "We don't have the parts to work on your car."  Told them it was a Jeep engine, but it didn't matter - they didn't work on that genre of car.

Sunny:

--- Quote from: 83Eagle! on January 01, 2012, 11:45:04 PM ---
Amen

I took my Eagle to the local oil change place once, and they immediately were like, "We don't have the parts to work on your car."  Told them it was a Jeep engine, but it didn't matter - they didn't work on that genre of car.

--- End quote ---

It's a liability. We've had customers come in for easy work like that, where it doesn't list the part. We KNOW we have the filter, etc that will fit it.. but we can't do it.

We had a customer try to sue us, over the fact that the service advisory told her we didn't have the filter for X car, but it was the same motor as Y car. The filter ended up leaking and she FREAKED. I tried to explain to her what happened [new guy screwed it up.. nothing to do with the filter], showed her, put on a NEW filter of the exact same type.. she said she wanted to see the listing for it. I checked, it didn't list a filter. Ended up getting a letter from her lawyer a few days later, saying that they wanted us to pay for a brand new engine.. even though there was no harm done. We ended up having to pay for Infiniti to look at it, assure her that there was no damage, etc. Infiniti ended up sending us back an invoice for a few hundred bucks, and stated that it was the proper filter. EXACT same filter used on the Nissan 3.5's... but because we didn't have an actual listing for it, we just 'knew' she still got away with a few hundred bucks worth of compensation on top of us having Infiniti inspect it.

From now on, if it's not listed the shop policy is don't install any parts. Even if you pull one part out, and it's stamped the same number. You'd be amazed at the rules they've had to put in place over stupid customers..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version