News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 07:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rich's 83 Eagle Wagon Project  (Read 29711 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Rich's 83 Eagle Wagon Project
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
@Rollguy- if you have anymore of these photos, I would very much like to see them. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to make a bracket (after all the floorboard fabrication I've had to do), but I just installed the TFI upgrade with the E-Core coil and it's currently sitting on top of the old bracket awaiting cable ties. It doesn't help that one of those star bolts is stripped  >:(

I feel the E-Core coil is a much better option. I've heard of the canister style failing much more often, and I've already had one fail myself. The Eaglepedia version of the TFI upgrade needs to be updated a little bit with this option, and this style coil is also less expensive. In fact for future reference, you can actually save a lot more money with Advance Auto by searching the web for coupon codes. My whole TFI upgrade cost only about $60.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
@Rollguy- if you have anymore of these photos, I would very much like to see them.
I think those are all the photos I have.  I slotted the hole so I did not have to screw both bolts in all the way (much easier to only have to take one totally out).  If one of yours is stripped, you can twist the entire bracket with the bolt, and it should turn.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
Finally a cool evening here in VA so I had time to work the new ignition parts into the Eagle tonight. Got all the parts at Advanced Auto including the Accel 140207 Coil. Gapped all the plugs to .045 and when I fired it up the first time, the throttle response was a huge improvement. Just took it for a short drive, but a definite improvement. Will take it out tomorrow evening for more testing :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:11:42 AM by recomer »
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »
Drove the Eagle in this morning to work and what a difference. Accelleration was much better, smoother idle. What a difference. Next step, to get a hold of GRONK to discuss carb replacement :)
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
Somebody say my name?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »
One more item off the to be fixed list. Radio isssues with only one speaker working. Sitting at drive through for McD's this morning, I took out the manual and learned how to operate the radio. What I thought was the balance adjust was the tone adjust. Found balance and fader and guess what? All 4 speakers now working again. I feel like an idiot BUT at least its working now :)
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »
the tfi upgrade looks very good, but the spark wires would look better like this,this is on my 1980 vam rally amx

because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
Snagged a 81 Spirit grill tonight. Needs cleaned up a little before install. Even has the AMC Logo still and in great shape. Guy that had it has quite a collection of AMC and Jeep parts (and a neighbor that has a Eagle parked in thier back yard)... :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:40:21 AM by recomer »
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
Where's the appropriate place to say Happy Birthday to my Eagle. Mine has a Jan 1983 Build date on it, so its now 30 years old :)  :occasion14:
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
Starting to gather all the parts for a suspension rebuild. I looked over the kits at ESPO and while a good price and decent quality (according to them the balls joints and parts are made by McQuay) I'm going to go with all MOOG parts if I can find them. Rockauto has great prices but the overall cost goes up with shipping from 5 different places. Last night I started with new Ball Joints (MOOG K3082 Uppers and K3153 Lowers) and strut rod bushings (MOOG K3090) from Amazon for $110.00 (free shipping too) Rockauto would have been $145.00 cause f all those shipping charges. Spreading out the parts acquisition over a little time.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
WOW!  Those bushings sure have went up in price.  Check the strut mounts for cupping related to age and corrosion.  Mine were beefed up using large washers with the correct hole diameter, securely welded into the mounts.  Apparently the guy who did it said this was a common fix for Fords which had a similar setup.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
WOW!  Those bushings sure have went up in price.  Check the strut mounts for cupping related to age and corrosion.  Mine were beefed up using large washers with the correct hole diameter, securely welded into the mounts.  Apparently the guy who did it said this was a common fix for Fords which had a similar setup.

Appreciate the advice. Will check that out when I'm pulling parts.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
Eagle Passed inspection today. I get nervous when I take it in as I'm always afraid what they'll find.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Great News!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Well two years later after I replaced the tires, ended up running the edges of the front tires bald Suspension/Front end components appear solid so taking it in tomorrow for front end alignment and tire replacement. Going a different route on the tires this time. Same size though. More on that tomorrow with some pictures after I give the thing a bath. Supposed to be a warm weekend.
83 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk