News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 11:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1981 sx4 Heater/ac blower not working  (Read 3177 times)

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
1981 sx4 Heater/ac blower not working
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »
I was told that i have a burned control head and open circuit to blower motor and my cables are binding.
If I change the heater/ac control unit will it fix the problem?
I have to drive across country and its cold so I NEED my heater to work.
When driving on the freeway i get heat. The heater core is new.
Please help
Thanks

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: 1981 sx4 Heater/ac blower not working
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
You'll probably need the resistor too. The two common failures are the resistors and the electric switch on the head unit, especially the "High" position on the switch.

See this wiring diagram

You could put a jumper through a 30A fuse and a switch from the battery to the positive terminal on the motor. I did that for a few weeks on a car before I got a new switch. You only get high, but it beats freezing. If you don't get the time to inspect all the wiring, it's the safest bet.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
WoW! Thanks! That's a huge help. I'm prob going to buy a new switch/control unit but I didn't even think about that. If i use a lower amp fuse will it be like putting it on med? What about the cables binding? Can I just remove them and squirt it with some penetraiting oil till they move and put them back in? Is removing the cables a difficult thing to do?
Thanks again
P.S. Where is the resistor and how would I know if it was bad?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:55:44 PM by olymunch »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
Lower amp fuse has no effect on speed.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Getting the cables out can probably be done by removing the glove box interior and the head out. You may need to drop the package tray too, but you shouldn't have to remove the dash. Penetrating oil may free them, but you'd be good to try to put maybe white lithium, or graphite or Teflon lube down the line. Graphite and Teflon are a dry lube with a thin carrying oil that can evaporate after a while.

They're usually just nylon-lined metal cables and don't have any lube in them.

The smaller fuse will just blow. The motor draws enough current that it would take a heavy and hot resistor to slow it. The stock ones are like that.

You ought to just be able to find the electric switch for it if you look. It may need a new connector too, it could be melted, but you won't know until you look.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:21:39 AM »
Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk