News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 12:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works  (Read 60753 times)

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
looking good so far.  keep up the good work.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
Thanks
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
This thread inspires me to get to the bottom of my honey do list :rotfl: so I can get to work on mine.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
if you need a radio bezel thats in good shape i have one for free just pay shipping. great build. so what type of transmission are you going to use

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
as a side note for anyone with a leaky sunroof ....... clear RTV IS NOT A FIX!!!! (comming from the guy smoothing out the roof)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
The sealant they used when they put it in was still plenty solid.  The leak was caused by bad weatherstripping.

Bill, I pulled the doors and brought them with me to work on this week.  There are so many small chips that it looks best to sand the whole thing.  I can do that as well as prime it after work and have them ready by next weekend.

Thanks for the radio bezel offer.  I actually got the original bezel with the car.  It has a wagon bezel installed for the din style pioneer.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
well thats good. i am putting in a double din dvd player in my project so i am not going to cut up a good bezel.
it looks like you have your hands full. so what did you find to be the best way of getting the tar off? i have been scraping my whole car and my arm is getting sore.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »
I scraped it up.  Most of the driver side was so rusty that it just peeled off.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
good deal, I'll give you a call about the same time on saturday and we can get the car pushing farther forward ....
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline SleepsUnderCars

• Eagle crazy
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 62
  • the last truckload of Eagles ?
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
looking good so far!
 let me know if there is anything else you need besides the piece Bill asked me about for the right door.
'81 AMC EAGLE KAMMBACK rustbucket - off road only
'84 AMC EAGLE SEDAN
'68 Rambler Rogue 
'88 Dodge Ramcharger 
'07 Chrysler Pacifica (family hauler)
'80 AMC Spirit   ** FOR SALE **
'85 EAGLE WAGON sport   -bad frame future project

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
Hmm, a pair of black visors with metal mounts and a decent AMC emblem, haha.

By the way Bill, I also had my buddy weld the last part of the floor and that small cut in the door skin.  He also attempted to fix the outer rocker hole but it didn't go over so well.  If you have a welder, I may need some assistance with that part before paint.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
By the way Bill, I also had my buddy weld the last part of the floor and that small cut in the door skin.  He also attempted to fix the outer rocker hole but it didn't go over so well.  If you have a welder, I may need some assistance with that part before paint.
remind me on friday about it so I can pack my truck accordingly ...... I should have my toolbox reinstalled by this weekend as well
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
For the rust in the rear hatch, I wire-wheeled out as much as I could.  Then I bought a can of Eastwood Rust Converter and soaked it.  Let it cure for 48+ hours.  Then I soaked it with Eastwood Red Rust Encapsulator.  Let it run down into the seam.  Let that sit and cure for a week or two.  Then I came back, scuffed it and sprayed SprayMax 2K Epoxy Primer (in a can) on it.  I did that today.  When it cures, I have a caulk gun loaded with seam sealer that I'll put in the seam.  They shop will paint over that when it gets done.  I'm hoping with garage storage, it'll hold off the rust for a few years.

That's the aproach I'd take.  I think it'll last quite a while as long as you have the surface clean and dry before you put down caulking and paint.  I know the rust converter I use recommends wiping down the area its applied to with water after 24 hours.  When I do that I make sure I dry it with a towel and compressed air very quickly afterwards.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
Hmm, never heard of using water that long after the conversion process.  Mine say to use it right after the process to remove the excess.  The product from Eastwood I use here takes a good, long time to cure, but the instructions say to topcoat it, or add encapsulator after.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
So I removed all the trim and the decals from the doors and sanded them down.  There are like 30+ little chips in the paint from where stones hit the doors.  On the first door, I just sanded down to get them as smooth as I could, then I put high-build primer/surfacer over them.  They we still visible, so I added a few more coats.  I haven't sanded it yet.  I'm assuming when the car is block sanded they'll go away?

On the second door, I used a strip disc to take the chipped area down to bare metal.  Then I did the same thing.  On this door, you can clearly see the areas where I took it down to bare metal after the primer/surfacer dried.

Are any of these methods the right one?  Is there a trick to removing a bunch of tiny dings/chips when you re-paint a whole car?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk