News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 06:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting experieance at off road meet./Not Jeep Enough?  (Read 12848 times)

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Interesting experieance at off road meet./Not Jeep Enough?
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
I have noticed that I hardly ever meet someone that does not remember the AMC Eagle. Even took it to a off roading/Jeep Meet today after I called to make sure it was okay, got there and must have had 50 or so people say how awesome it was and how they remembered there parents having one and how it fit in and deserved to be there as much as the Jeeps. Then to my surprise one of the people running the show said I had to move mine and take it out of it because it was not Jeep enough to be in even though they let people in with Jeeps that have ford and Chevy motors/trans/rear ends in them, not sure if this is the right section but just a little peeved and needed to get it off my chest. I just do not get it, I did not have a single Jeep owner complain about it then the people running it after I called and asked and paid for the ticket because they said it was fine say I have to leave? I am still wondering why because in my opinion the "It is not Jeep enough" answer I feel is not good enough Plus I was a hour plus drive for me. What do you guys think? Again I apologize if this is the wrong section just not sure where to put it.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Re: Interesting experieance at off road meet./Not Jeep Enough?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »
Sounds like BS to me.  Just like you already said, It's AMC everything in it so it's true to Jeep, instead of having parts from every other manufacturer swapped into them like a lot of the off road guys do to save money.  But the nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered, you're probably the only one there that wasn't an XJ, YJ, or CJ so you made their decision easier.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
Sounds like BS to me.  Just like you already said, It's AMC everything in it so it's true to Jeep, instead of having parts from every other manufacturer swapped into them like a lot of the off road guys do to save money.  But the nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered, you're probably the only one there that wasn't an XJ, YJ, or CJ so you made their decision easier.
There were also Grand Cherokee's, compasses, Commanders,Liberty's and a few patriot's among others. Which is why I understand it even less, I mean really compasses! Are those even really Jeeps? Seemed like as long as it had a Jeep body it was allowed in. Probably would have been fine if I had put a Jeep Cherokee body on top of a I do not know a Ford Branco they probably would have not even noticed. Plus the fact I did not meet a single person who complained. Probably a few of the Fanatics did. Plus I thought what people liked about Jeeps was there ruggedness, as in what is on the inside/underside not just how they looked.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:58:08 PM by Eagle1984 »

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
There were also Grand Cherokee's, compasses, Commanders,Liberty's and a few patriot's among others. Which is why I understand it even less, I mean really compasses! Are those even really Jeeps? Seemed like as long as it had a Jeep body it was allowed in. Probably would have been fine if I had put a Jeep Cherokee body on top of a I do not know a Ford Branco they probably would have not even noticed. Plus the fact I did not meet a single person who complained. Probably a few of the Fanatics did. Plus I thought what people liked about Jeeps was there ruggedness, as in what is on the inside/underside not just how they looked.

Patriots and Compass' aren't jeeps to me. They're based on the same platform as a Caliber/Avenger/Sebring.

I get their point, but I also get yours.
A lot of shows are very strict with rules, because you'll always get that one guy that complains.. one of the reasons I stopped going to shows. You would get vehicles on the same platform being turned away. When I was a bit younger, there was a huge Mustang show, and an 86 Mercury Capri actually won the 5.0 class, and the Mustang guys were all :censored:. They were lenient with the rules before [both foxbody platforms], but after that they were strict.

They still should have let you keep it in there though.

It is still pretty  :censored: of them to kick you out, after you paid for the ticket, and called to make sure it was ok.

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »

Patriots and Compass' aren't jeeps to me. They're based on the same platform as a Caliber/Avenger/Sebring.

I get their point, but I also get yours.
A lot of shows are very strict with rules, because you'll always get that one guy that complains.. one of the reasons I stopped going to shows. You would get vehicles on the same platform being turned away. When I was a bit younger, there was a huge Mustang show, and an 86 Mercury Capri actually won the 5.0 class, and the Mustang guys were all :censored:. They were lenient with the rules before [both foxbody platforms], but after that they were strict.

They still should have let you keep it in there though.

It is still pretty  :censored: of them to kick you out, after you paid for the ticket, and called to make sure it was ok.
I could understand if it was just the same platform but really mine also had all the same mechanical parts practically(rear end might have been different, trans was the same auto afford for jeeps though). I did get my money back but what made them change there mind between when I bought my ticket at 3pm and was there by 7:30 AM the next day to sign in. I was there awhile to before they said anything. They made me leave around 8:10 AM.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
They should have had a showdown if they needed to make room.  Put that eagle and a compass bumper to bumper, see who wins.  Find some obstacles to drive over and some hills to climb, see who wins.  An eagle would drag that compass backwards all day while going over the obstacles, and i think most Jeep guys realize that and respect the Eagles.  Just a couple idiots out there that don't think like normal people.

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
They should have had a showdown if they needed to make room.  Put that eagle and a compass bumper to bumper, see who wins.  Find some obstacles to drive over and some hills to climb, see who wins.  An eagle would drag that compass backwards all day while going over the obstacles, and i think most Jeep guys realize that and respect the Eagles.  Just a couple idiots out there that don't think like normal people.
That sounds like a fun Idea. Might jack it up a bit and try again in a few years if it is still going. Also does anyone know if there are going to be any eagle meets around Indiana this year or next. Looking for something to make me feel better and I figured be around people who are not idiots when it comes to vehicles would be nice. Plus I have never been to one before.

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
 You should have asked them why Eagles were sold as "Jeep Eagles" by AMC. The 1986 "Jeep" brochure includes the Eagle model. By that time all of the "other" AMC passenger cars were AMC/Renaults.
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »
You should have asked them why Eagles were sold as "Jeep Eagles" by AMC. The 1986 "Jeep" brochure includes the Eagle model. By that time all of the "other" AMC passenger cars were AMC/Renaults.
Thanks, wished I would have thought of that, just so surprised when it happened that I really did not know what to say back. Would anyone happen to have a photo copy of the Jeep brochure that shows the Eagle so I know what it says exactly, might need it if I try again, plus am interested in what the brochure says before I buy one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:37:59 PM by Eagle1984 »

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
Here's the one I'm thinking of. As you can see strickly a Jeep "only" brochure with all of the other Jeep models including the Eagle. If I get a chance to find mine , I'll post the page with the Eagle. In 1986 I was looking at new Jeeps (still have my 87 Wrangler) and the Eagles were sold at the Jeep only dealers unlike the other AMC cars.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:52:37 AM by Budwisr »
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
WOW!! did they refund your money (sorry if I missed that part).  I would have asked them what is "not jeep enough about it"? and i would have made a scene. 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Perhaps next time you could point out that it's 4x4 with FACTORY Jeep parts? Dana 35 rear (same as XJ), 998 auto (same as many '80 up FSJs with 6 cyl as well as CJ and YJ), New process transfercase that shares everything except low range with the Grand Wagoneers. Jeep 6 cyl with the same &%^#$@* Carter BBD that many Jeepers swear at. Jeep emblems FROM THE FACTORY all over the car, including the VIN plate. Steering column and ignition are Jeep too.
   And if that's not enough, ask them "Jealous much? This is more Jeep than any Dodge product!"
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk