News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 04:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lousy shifting, 82 SX/4  (Read 13206 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Lousy shifting, 82 SX/4
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 07:45:48 AM »
High forward clutch seal. Every time it slips, the clutches slip and heat up. No bands involved when the trans shifts into drive (other than one loosens as the clutches are supposed to engage) Some places have blasted me for this (RM means Rambler Mentality. ie: Not $pending unless I had to) I put a can of STP engine oil treatment in mine for more solid shifts.
The passing gear linkage controls when the trans upshifts and downshifts. Most AMC guys go with a Lokar kickdown cable when they change the fuel system.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Lousy shifting, 82 SX/4
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
I poured in some Lucas Transmission Fix a while back.  Smoother shifting, but still shifts.  I also noticed that when I first start to drive, it's very hard to get into second.  It'll keep going in first until you "goose it" and then it shifts hard into second.

I haven't driven it in a while.  It was trailored to the garage it's in.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk