News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 06:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: seat belt removal?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline darjeeling

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
seat belt removal?
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
I just destroyed my torx T-50 bit trying to remove the female ends of my seat belts where the strap connects to the body.  None of the heads turned at all and it took a lot of strength to twist that bit.  Is there some trick to getting these things out that I don't know?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: seat belt removal?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
Pen oil from underneath. Rust is awesome  :-\  :P

Manitowoc WI

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
2nd the penetrating oil, also could try some application of force in the tightening direction first, just a bit, to try and break the threads free, then back the loosening direction. Keep a lot of downward force on the breaker bar head to keep the bit as deep as possible in the bolt, like maybe get a helper to push down while you do the turning, and buy one better grade T-50 torx bit, somethin at least Husky er Crapsman(although I break them, too). If the bolt gets rounded out, you'll have weld a nut to the head of the bolt to be able to get it out, and welding that nut on will require a lot of prep to protect the rest of the interior for ten seconds of zap.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
2nd the penetrating oil, also could try some application of force in the tightening direction first, just a bit, to try and break the threads free, then back the loosening direction. Keep a lot of downward force on the breaker bar head to keep the bit as deep as possible in the bolt, like maybe get a helper to push down while you do the turning, and buy one better grade T-50 torx bit, somethin at least Husky er Crapsman(although I break them, too). If the bolt gets rounded out, you'll have weld a nut to the head of the bolt to be able to get it out, and welding that nut on will require a lot of prep to protect the rest of the interior for ten seconds of zap.

x3 and eggcellent info there txjeeptx.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »
I too have one I can't get out.   Someone suggested heating the nut but I didn't want to possibly burn the carpet.   I considered grinding or cutting the nut but haven't been able to reach it with the tools I have.  I have a nut splitter but it's too small.  I would buy a larger one but don't know whether I could reach the nut even then.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
When I did it, I destroyed two bits and several bolts. Penetrating oil and rocking the bolt back-and-forth. Hit it squarely and sideways with a small hammer too. Keep working at them and have more patients then I did.

The nut is welded on, so I don't know if splitting is a good idea.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Tennessee_Farmer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
Use an impact wrench.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
The quality of the torx bit is what will get you through this.  I have stripped more inexpensice bits than I can count, usually ruining the nut too.  Penetrating oil is your friend.  Of all of them on the market, I have not found anything better than a product called "Mouse Milk"  It's in every tool bag I own.  Aviation mechanics turned me on to it and I've never ooked back.

Mouse Milk has kept the welder dusty.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Tennessee_Farmer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
Again, try an impact wrench.  I had one like this that I struggled with for days until trying an impact wrench and it came out with little difficulty.  I may have sprayed it with penetrating oil, but it was the wrench that did it.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
A couple rounds of penetrating oil followed be a short blast from an air hammer to help vibrate some of the fluid in there and get the dust out, then a tap of the impact and the bolt will seem to fall out.

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
As previously stated, IMPACT WRENCH.  Sometimes brute force will strip or break bolts, the impact gun will do the trick.  Another thing I've been using on rusted bolts is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and transmission fluid instead of Liquid Wrench or WD 40 like some use.  This was posted on another car forum so I figured I'd give it a try.  Worked way better than the two products listed above and is a whole lot cheaper in the long run.  But be careful handling the acetone, it is highly flammable. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk