News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 25, 2024, 10:00:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 82 amc sx4 drove to a meeting came out no gears at all  (Read 9668 times)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
82 amc sx4 drove to a meeting came out no gears at all
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
82 amc sx4 drove to a meeting came out no gears at all. had a slight noise in neutral nothing in any other gear. with the help of 83eagle and a free tow got it to where i could work on it when we got it off the trailer i had it running when i when to put it in park reverse started work along with all the other gears wtf do i do now will it hold or do i need some major repairs it like it needed a hard bump to kick it back almost like it was stuck between gears. what do i do

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
Re: 82 amc sx4 drove to a meeting came out no gears at all
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
Make sure your transfer case is fully engaged. It can slip in between gears and cause similar issues.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
that was the 1st thing i checked because my switch don't work in the dash i had my 9/16 ready cause the sound the whining was very similar but nope and like i said all is well now i just dont think i can trust it it has leaked as long as ive had it changed pan gasket and filter in october really lost and broke just spent 300 on a wheel bearing

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
drop the trans pan.  When mine had the mysterious work then not work thing going on it turned out to be friction material pyramiding and clogging the filter.  once i washed the pan out real good and installed a new trans gasket it's been great ever since
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
Mine did EXACTLY the same thing, including the part where it worked (briefly) after coming off the rollback at home.  I did just what thereverendbill is suggesting and the problem was solved, with no recurrence since November.  That's at least a fairly cheap place to start.

I think the filter/gasket kit was about $12-15 at NAPA.
Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
well since i was thinking replace it all together i took it to a farm where i do major repairs if i can get it back to my garage with it now working briefly and try that i will im just afraid of bringing it back in to town and have the same thing happen in rush hr traffic not in a parking lot like happened this time. im also afraid a tranny shop would eat me for breakfast or at least my wallet but that is 2 confirmed similar problems what do i look 4 once it is open and dose any1 know the part # of the 1 with cork gaskets last time i got a set that had rubber and i want the cork if i gotta redo this again

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
you are saying to replace the filter too right

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
It wouldn't make sense to skip changing the filter if you have the pan off.  Why do you prefer the cork gasket?

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
cause i change this all last october to stop a leak that did not work either i think because of the crappy rubber gasket. is the something  should see in the pan when its removed

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
From the description the two guys gave there will be a lot of material in the pan so you'll see it.  However, if that's the case and you had just changed it in the fall then I'd imagine your trans is going to be toast.  I like the rubber gaskets myself.  They seem to work well for me and don't dry out (harden) like cork versions do.  Plus when it comes time to change it again they don't leave a mess like the corks do either.  Try using a tack adhesive on the pan flange.  It comes in a spray can.  Spray a coat on and let it tack up for a few minutes then put the gasket on the pan.  This holds it in place and makes it easier to position the gasket/pan to the trans on reinstall.

Since you had a transfluid leak did the level get really low at some point?  Is the linkage from the carb to the trans adjusted correctly?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:34:12 AM by wagoneerhauler »

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
no the level has never gotten past showing on the stick i fear im wasting my time with this repair ive never been 1 that had luck with quick fixes i still think it was just caught between gears cause it all works fine now but i dont know it has been shifting a little hard outta 2nd as well

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
how is your kickdown rod? if it has degraded and is no longer working that is what started the snowball effect that is now your hard shifting
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »
well shes fried gotta find a good used cheap tranny fast hope 83 eagle can help me out

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
I've got several trannies laying around the Sanctuary and I should be up in the Tama/Toledo, IA. area in the next few weeks if  you want me to bring one up unless you want to come up sooner and pick it up here. You and Brandon are about 5-6hrs from me and if you came out to the Sanctuary to pick it up... I'd trade it to you for some help with the Sanctuary and moving some stuff around in preparation for the meet coming up. It's just a thought - don't worry about the past either. It's ancient history. Make Brandon drive you out and give him an excuse to come out again too. Or maybe with Doug's permission, you guys could meet me there for a mini-meet and help me load up his Cherokee and that big sign. If necessary - I could probably make the trip sooner if everyone can work out there schedules - I'm not working so my time is wide open for whatever.

It would be really cool if you guys came out to the Sanctuary though!

Are you sure it's friend though? When you started the thread, I thought a filter/fluid change as well and I agree with wagoneerhauler on the rubber gasket thing. Someone also mentioned the linkage... that crap will cause you a lot of grief if it's "off" by even just a little.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »
SOmetime in the nesxt few days I am hooking Pigonawing up with the transmission that I picked up in Sioux Falls South Dakota last year.  Giving him a deal on it too. 

It is from a Dakota AMC Club member.  It is a low mileage unit.  The gentleman I got it from had rebuilt some very quality AMCs, and he and his father really know their stuff.  If they say it is good to go I'll bet on it, and I am not a betting man.  All it needs is serviced and would be good to go. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
I went out tonight to mess with it and i would not kick into gear again and when it dd i made it a mile down the road and when i stopped i lost it all to it right back to the farm and could not get it to the shop cause of mud i got all the stuff to tr that fix but i think its dead it just whines w=even when it dose catch a gear and i know nothing about the kick down or how to mess with it i know everything looks fine but look is all i know when is this meet i would hate to put it all new and just fry another

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:30 AM »
wish i could get her to dry land so i could try the easy fix but 83 eagle has a spare tranny here in town im gonna get. this tranny has leaked since the day i got it shifted hard off and on and i think it is just done for if anyone can give some detail on how to set that kickdown let me know im real mechanical just need help with this

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
Good to know Brandon. Good luck with the install. I do not enjoy swapping Eagle trannies. Keep us posted on the progress guys.

Pigonawing, there may be some more detailed info in the eaglepedia. You can do some adjusting just by pulling the cover off, but it sounds to me like you may have some tranny isuues there other than the linkage. Not sure it's "toast" - I'd still try the flush/filter thing first before taking on the tranny swapping job.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:43:50 AM by Mavericke »
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »
I think the plan is to service the transmission I have, swap it in, then I think he was going to keep his old one and rebuild it for a spare.  I like that idea because knowing my luck as soon as he takes the transmission from my shed my Eagle will get jealous and drop it's transmission. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Pigonawing and his wife just picked up the transmission I had in my shed.  Hope it solves the problem for him.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
I have picked on you haha pms back and forth whatever. Egg to you man

Manitowoc WI

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
I have picked on you haha pms back and forth whatever. Egg to you man

Thanks Mudkicker715

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
It's alive!!!

I received a text from Pigonawing at 9:08 pm central time...
"Putting fluid in her now got my fingers crossed"

At 9:39 he texted again, " Well it runs. It's loud; it moves, but I have a drip.  A trans line...  not sure."

Next up...  Exhaust.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
Pigonawing has had his exhaust done for about a week or more.  I finally got out to see it today.  Looks god to me.  I snapped a few pictures... I will post them in a litle bit.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »
Here's Pigonawing's new dual lake pipe exhaust...

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk