News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 11:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto to 4-speed swap  (Read 3342 times)

Offline BAD-BIRD

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Not reallly bad just lots of FUN!!!!!!!!
Auto to 4-speed swap
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
Hello all it has been a while but I need some info and it would be grateful! I have an 84 eagle wagon with a 4.2 and an automatic! I had the tranny rebuilt twice now in less than a year and am tired of messing with it! SO I want to put a 4speed in it! I found a whole parts car it is an 82 SX4 with a 4 cylinder! So here I am, I know I need a flywheel and a bell housing! But am having trouble locating one! Does any one have either or both they would sell if so I am interested! Also does any one have any reason this wont work! When I get finished with the car I will sell parts off it or the whole car! It is pretty rough but has several good parts! Thanks for the info and help!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Auto to 4-speed swap
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
Did this exact swap last fall. Look for the how to in the pedia

Manitowoc WI

Offline BAD-BIRD

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »
Are you happy with the swap? Could you give me a pros and cons of what you have seen with it? Power/MPG-better or worse? Thanks for the help!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Would not the Iron Duke have an SR4 trans?   Is that one strong enough for the 4.2?   I would think a T5 would be better.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »
What rollguy said

Mpg is same. But better take off. Meaning in 4wd I have spune the left front tire on dry pavement. Its tied to a stroker. But it lifts that. Side up when flooredwhen making the 1 to 2nd shift.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
Would not the Iron Duke have an SR4 trans?   Is that one strong enough for the 4.2?   I would think a T5 would be better.
If I'm not mistaken the 82 should have a T4. However since it is a 4cyl. it will have a smaller input shaft than a 6 cyl. tranny. I had an SR4 in my 81 Eagle and it worked great.  The biggest problems was with slave cylinder and then the shifter breaking.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BAD-BIRD

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
Thanks for the help and I am heeding your advice! I found me a 5 speed out of an 85 eagle that was mounted to a 258! The problem I now have is the tranny does not come with a shifter! And I am assuming the pedals and other odds and ends can be used from the sx4 donor I bought! I also now will have parts off the sx4 for sale! Thanks folks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk