News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 02:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any way to bypass the kickdown switch?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Any way to bypass the kickdown switch?
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:01:54 AM »
I've been having an issue with my 84 Eagle Wagon and downshifting while pulling large hills at highway speeds. When going to climb over Vail Pass or the Hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel(I 70 Colorado) the Eagle will lug a little bit, give her some gas and she downshifts into second gear at a VERY high RPM. If I try to keep it at 40-45 it will shift back and forth between 2nd and 3rd without stopping so I manually shift into 2nd and cruise over the top at 35MPH to keep the RPM's down. The 258 definately has the power to lug the car over the top of the hills at 65+MPH, it just takes more pedal. She also did this going over Monteagle in Tennessee and some other big east coast hills so I don't believe it is an altitude issue.

The trans is the factory original 215K mile trans and seems to work flawlessly other than this issue. Any way to bypass the kickdown switch like with some sort of button or switch just until I'm over the hills? Like I said she's got the power but the kickdown just seems to be touchy on the hills.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:04:00 AM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Any way to bypass the kickdown switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:08:54 AM »
Tere is nothing electrical associated with that transmission. Its all mechanical linkage below your car back to where your shift linkage attaches.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:18:36 AM »
The kickdown linkage may be adjusted to kick down too early. It may need to be readjusted.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:34 AM »
Sounds like adjustment is needed and it is important to adjust it as an improperly functioning throttle control will cause transmission failure.  As said previously, it is all mechanical.  No switch.  I believe we have the procedure in the AMC Eaglepedia.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
Sounds like adjustment is needed and it is important to adjust it as an improperly functioning throttle control will cause transmission failure.  As said previously, it is all mechanical.  No switch.  I believe we have the procedure in the AMC Eaglepedia.

Will look there, thanks!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk