News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I've been told I need a new Kick Down / TV rod for my 1984 Wagon  (Read 1334 times)

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
First of all––I don't do any heavy repairs myself, so I'm oftentimes flying blind with my questions. Here in Georgia, there were never many Eagles to begin with, so repairs and salvage have been very, very difficult to find.

I have a repair shop that SORT OF understands my car, but I also think he's never really worked on one before. He's not a hack, though. He says my kick down rod is "gone" and he assumes it's unobtanium. After a long search I'm afraid he might be right. I can find very few photos or illustrations so I'm not sure whether or not there's another swap out there (maybe a CJ?). Also, what collateral parts like screws and gaskets will I need to acquire so that a mechanic can get it all done once he digs in there?

If this topic was covered in the past I apologize. I try and dig as deep as I can here but I haven't quite found the best workaround to search specifics yet. Thanks for reading.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited
Auto, PW, PM, Gauges, Leather

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: I've been told I need a new Kick Down / TV rod for my 1984 Wagon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 06:50:43 PM »
no worries post away.
yes it's difficult to find one. maybe look to Chrysler from that Era like a 727 or 998 trans also 904. idk if it's the same rod.  long ago someone made me one from the than  nest. I looked and lost it in my move.anyway it's just a rod that is adjustable at the carb. without it your tranny will burn up.

Manitowoc WI

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 07:16:06 PM »
You can also look on Car-Parts.com.  They have an inventory of many junkyards across the country and there are a lot of Eagles included.  Even if they don't list the kick down rod, you will be able to contact those yards that have an Eagle to see if they still have the part(s) you need.  The site also has an app.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:16:45 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:44:25 PM »
With a little ingenuity you could make one from a cable. Lokar sells one for Chrysler 727 transmission
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 01:59:53 PM »
The trick is, it's NOT a simple kick-down. It's proportioning valve adjustment? Or some such?

As mudkicker715 says, it has to be adjusted correctly or it will trash your transmission.

Any chance you know which end is shot? The top by the carb, or the other end that gets adjusted at the valve lever.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 03:27:00 PM »
You should have something like the photo below. The upper components are circled (2) in yellow and (2) yellow arrows. One part is painted white. There is a rod running from just by the right arrow down to a linkage on the drivers side of the transmission.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
Huge help! I'm printing out pictures and links right now. I know I'm not even close to having all the info I'll eventually need so thank you in advance.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »
If you go into EPEDIA scroll down to "how to section" then to automatic transmission, cable/rod adjustment, it will show you a good drawing of that linkage. 
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »
If you go into EPEDIA scroll down to "how to section" then to automatic transmission, cable/rod adjustment, it will show you a good drawing of that linkage.

I *really* wish there was a better photo or a better description on what to do. Even the TSM is kinda confusing in the context of rods and slots.
I used that two years ago to make an adjustment and immediately knew on the test drive it was wrong. Went back, tried it again and that seemed to work, but I still don't actually know what I did or if it was done correctly. (well it had to be correct, or I would of fried the bands years ago)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:31:01 PM by MIPS »

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 05:57:12 PM »
The link for the Eaglepedia article I think will help.
Has a good diagram of the lockdown rod.
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Throttle_Cable/Rod_Adjustment_-_4_%26_6_Cylinder_Cars
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 08:39:37 AM »
I have printed out all of the photos, diagrams and articles and taken them to my mechanic. Thanks to all for this. I'll repost when I begin to make progress.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 08:01:40 PM »
I have a spare spring clip...I sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:28:55 PM by Trooper »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk