News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Having trouble starting my 87 Eagle  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Bobcat2023

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Having trouble starting my 87 Eagle
« on: March 30, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »
I have been working on a 1987 eagle (4.2L I6) with a few of my buddies, the Eagle we have been working on has been sitting in out in an old parking lot for a year an a half (we are college students and didn't have anywhere to store it). We recently replaced the battery and starter solenoid and when we tried to start it up it would crank but wouldn't start until we added starter fluid. However once it got started it would only run for a second or two. We think there is an issue with getting fuel into the engine and suspect we need a new fuel pump. We also did add new gas to the tank so we don't think it won't start because of the tank being empty. Is there anything that could also prevent it from getting gas besides a faulty fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Having trouble starting my 87 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »
Stuck carb float. Plugged tank filter.  Plugged fuel line filter
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:09:59 PM »
What rmick said.  Take the line off at the filter inlet, and stick the hose in a bucket and crank to see if any fuel comes out.   The fuel pumps are a common item to go south on you.   If you're getting fuel there, the carb needle valve may be stuck in its seat.   You can get to that without getting into the carb - its the brass fitting in the front of the carb that the metal line screws onto.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Bobcat2023

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
Thanks to the both of you that really helps a lot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk