News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: External Fuel Pump for 1986 Eagle with 1993 4.0 Engine  (Read 1741 times)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
External Fuel Pump for 1986 Eagle with 1993 4.0 Engine
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
We may be replacing the 4.2 L engine in my son's 1986 Eagle with a 4.0 L from a 1993 Wrangler Sahara.  The 4.0 does not have a mechanical fuel pump in the block, so we'll need to install an external electric pump.  I believe 35 psi is required for the 4.0 L fuel injection.  Has anyone here installed a 4.0 L engine in an Eagle?  What fuel pump would you recommend?

EDIT: Actually, if there's a suitable fuel pump that fits inside the tank, that would be preferable to an external unit.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:28:04 PM by OverKnight »
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: External Fuel Pump for 1986 Eagle with 1993 4.0 Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
UPDATE: We purchased a 1993 4.0 L engine out of a Jeep Wrangler.  We also purchased the Jeep fuel pump assembly and we're going to try to fit this into the stock 1986 Eagle tank.  Has anyone else attempted this?
Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
You may want to check out this thread.  SOunds like he went with the Jeep fuel injection but I didn't read through the whole thing to see what he used for a fuel pump.  Good luck!

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=21335.0
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
Thank you, vangremlin.  That was a long post!  The plan at this point is to make a new and smaller plate to mount the Jeep fuel pump and sending until onto, and then enlarge the existing hole in the Eagle's tank to accommodate this setup.
- Stephen Grellet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk