News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Lines  (Read 6401 times)

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Fuel Lines
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
Anybody know of a source for pre-made fuel lines? How about someone in Colorado Springs/Denver that makes them for a reasonable price?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Fuel Lines
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
Hose or steel lines? Most autoparts stores carry pre-made steel lines with fittings already on them. They are kept in the brake line section
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
Should I replace the rusted steel lines with the same steel lines or can I replace them with rubber fuel line all the way back to the tank?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:02 PM »
I prefer steel
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
I agree with Carnuck. The hose that's sold as fuel hose at the parts house collapses under suction if more than a few inches in length. You could use steel-braid hose but that's going to be prohibitively expensive. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Great thanks for the reply. :blob1: What size is the steel supply line?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »
I'm thinking it's a quarter inch. It's dark now and the temp is below zero, so if someone hasn't confirmed this by tomorrow morning I'll measure my Eagle's fuel line and confirm.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »
5/16"

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
In my area, I can only get straight sections of fuel and brake lines.
You can find different length tubes with flared ends on them already.
I bend mine myself with a small bending handle, and sometimes if I need a certain length, I will cut and re-flare with a double flaring tool.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
I prefer to buy a whole roll, it's cheaper that way, especially if you have multiple vehicle that take the same size line, lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:21 PM »
My '86 wagon from Texas has finally started rusting out the fuel lines. The fuel lines and the brake lines were steel with steel coil/spring wrapped around them to protect them from rocks flying up. The coils/springs are so rusted they're about to uninstall themselves...

What's the best practice for robust fuel/brake lines now?
I was thinking of steel line with a rust treatment (Fluid Film) on them, running inside rubber fuel lines as a rock protector?

Thought?
Ideas?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 11:42:00 PM »
the best stuff these days is th NiCopp lines (nickel/copper) available most anywhere including Amazon. bends/flares much easier than steel, and won't rust. btw,  the coil that wraps round the lines is also available by the foot thru Amazon. I just completely redid my 84 sedan  with the above. Works well, good luck, gz

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 10:59:41 PM »
the best stuff these days is th NiCopp lines (nickel/copper) available most anywhere including Amazon. bends/flares much easier than steel, and won't rust. btw,  the coil that wraps round the lines is also available by the foot thru Amazon. I just completely redid my 84 sedan  with the above. Works well, good luck, gz
Great to know!
Is that NiCopp good for brake lines too?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »
yes it is. 3 sizes on an Eagle , 5/16 main fuel, 1/4" return line, 3/16 main brake line (If I remember correctly) and 3/16 fuel tank vent. 4 hard lines in all. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk