News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Key stuck in the ignition  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Key stuck in the ignition
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Well the problem today is the ignition is stuck in the run position, with the key in it. The ignition will move to the start position also.
What do I need to take apart to get into the switch. Any help out there?
Living in The Great Northwest
2011 SS Camaro Convertible
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
2005 Dodge Ram Diesel 1 Ton Shortbed
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport
1983 Eagle SX/4 (The Beagle)
Can you say too much is never enough

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Key stuck in the ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »
This may be a silly question, but did you flip the little key release lever and jiggle it a few times?  I found that mine likes to stick occasionally and jiggling it in/out wile pushing the release lever usually frees it.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »
Sounds like you may need a new ignition key cylinder.  This happened to me, its a pretty easy job to swap in a new one.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
I've also had an ignition switch fall apart inside and cause this problem.   But just like the key tumbler, its a cheap and easy fix.   Has to be one or the other.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
So how is it removed and fixed?
Living in The Great Northwest
2011 SS Camaro Convertible
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
2005 Dodge Ram Diesel 1 Ton Shortbed
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport
1983 Eagle SX/4 (The Beagle)
Can you say too much is never enough

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »

I'm going to answer as if you have some experience in car repair. If you need more details please post and I or someone will answer.

To remove the ignition lock...
1. Pull off the steering wheel. You need a steering wheel puller or a harmonic balancer puller to do so.
2. Remove the thin plastic disk under the steering wheel
3. Take out the ring securing the lock plate to the steering shaft. Hold down the lock plate with a lock plate depressor tool before removing the ring. There's a spring under the lock plate. Release the lock plate depressor and remove the lock plate.
4. Remove the turn signal switch
5. There's a slot in the lock cylinder receptacle. Use a small screwdriver to depress the brass retainer that's engaged in the slot.
6. While depressing the retainer pull the lock cylinder out of the receptacle in the steering column.

You can get a new lock cylinder at your friendly local purveyor of parts or a locksmith. It's a GM part.

Installation is the reverse of the above.  :eagle:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:51:50 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »
I have put the wrong key in and had this problem in the past. I just tap the key in deeper and it usually works again unless the electric slider is what messed up.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »

I'm going to answer as if you have some experience in car repair. If you need more details please post and I or someone will answer.

To remove the ignition lock...
1. Pull off the steering wheel. You need a steering wheel puller or a harmonic balancer puller to do so.
2. Remove the thin plastic disk under the steering wheel
3. Take out the ring securing the lock plate to the steering shaft. Hold down the lock plate with a lock plate depressor tool before removing the ring. There's a spring under the lock plate. Release the lock plate depressor and remove the lock plate.
4. Remove the turn signal switch
5. There's a slot in the lock cylinder receptacle. Use a small screwdriver to depress the brass retainer that's engaged in the slot.
6. While depressing the retainer pull the lock cylinder out of the receptacle in the steering column.

You can get a new lock cylinder at your friendly local purveyor of parts or a locksmith. It's a GM part.

Installation is the reverse of the above.  :eagle:
Found a video on the process.
"How to Replace an AMC Eagle (GM) Ignition Lock Cylinder"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFz0p919Bk

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 09:35:20 PM »
Finally had the time to replace my ignition lock cylinder. Having to pop the hood to pull the cable out of the top of the coil to shut it off had already become very old...

It's an '86, so it is slightly different regarding 5 & 6 above.
There is no retainer that needs pressing to remove the lock cylinder.
  • Retention of the cylinder is by a bolt that takes a torx screwdriver. The bolt has a threaded portion and an extended smooth shaft that goes through a gap in the guide along the bottom of the cylinder to retain the cylinder.
  • Dis-assembly was fine: removed the key-alert switch, then removed the retention bolt, and cylinder slides right out.
Reassembly was awkward. With the new cylinder installed and retained by the bolt, the key-alert switch wouldn't fit in. With the switch already in, the cylinder wouldn't insert. (regardless of key position)
  • Solution was to juggle between inserting the switch and cylinder, until both are fully in. Then then sneak the retention bolt past the tab on the switch. This got the bolt started, but the tab on the switch prevented the bolt from being tightened.
  • I used a thin screwdriver blade to keep the tab and bolt head separated, while tightening the bolt with a torx screwdriver  (this was done carefully, as it was really bending the plastic switch's tab), until the bolt head was past that tab.
  • Then the torx screwdriver could fit past the tab to tighten the retaining bolt. 

I broke the plastic shaft for the horn pin

I was near done, checking the alignment of the steering wheel, when I slipped with the wheel and broke the plastic shaft for the horn pin. Shaft broke off of the plate, and at the top end of the shaft, around 1/3 of it broke off where it retains the bushing that retains the pin & spring.

Since I don't have a replacement, after some disassembly, I removed the brass ring from the plastic plate (bend brass tabs), then de-greased the plastic parts with acetone. Crazy Glue reluctantly held the plastic shaft back onto the plastic plate, then I added some more on the outside to ensure the crack was fully filled. Excess glue formed somewhat of a fillet between the shaft and the plate. Once fully dry (~an hour), that seemed to hold well. So I reassembled the brass ring to the plate, then inserted the spring, pin and retaining bushing into the shaft. Worked as original. Then I added a dab of crazy glue to the bushing-to-shaft to ensure it would stay there.

After drying, it seemed to work as intended. Reassembled, taking extra care in rotating that shaft-plate while aligning the steering wheel. Working perfectly - for now. I've no idea if Crazy Glue will hold that plastic repair for any length of time.

P.S.
Side effect - turn signal on this Eagle has always been a little stiff. While taking it apart, I couldn't see anything broken, worn or loose. Contact surfaces were well greased. When all was re-assembled, the turn signal still works correctly, but now is smooth to actuate and smooth to turn off.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:42:08 PM by Canoe »

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
The Eagle's steering column is nearly identical to same year Chevy trucks.  I was just working on an 84 C10 pickup steering column and noted many similarities.  The ignition switch is even the same part number.  I can't remember exactly what the Eagle's looks like, but I think Dorman 49319 or 83230 would fit in there if the glue doesn't hold up.  They have other similar ones too.

The only downside to changing the lock cylinder is you can't start it up and take the key out anymore. :)
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 06:05:15 PM »
Finally had the time to replace my ignition lock cylinder. Having to pop the hood to pull the cable out of the top of the coil to shut it off had already become very old...
I broke the plastic shaft for the horn pin ... broke the plastic shaft for the horn pin. Shaft broke off of the plate, and at the top end of the shaft, around 1/3 of it broke off  ... Crazy Glue ... After drying, it seemed to work as intended. ...
So far, so good.
Getting used to shutting the car off using the key.
Have to relearn that when parking, to not pop the hood...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk