News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project: 1982 SX/4 Turbo Stroker  (Read 29510 times)

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Project: 1982 SX/4 Turbo Stroker
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
Great work, It's odd that the NP 129 is that much bigger than the Np 231. I'm leaning more to changing the floor with my unibody swap, expecially when I see what it takes to get the stock transfer shifter to work.

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »
I hope you can still see out the windshield, that seat looks awfully low. Real nice job with the shifter, looks like it could've been stock (except that it probably doesn't leave enough room for the stock seats). Do you have a plan for the speedometer? I forget if the back half of the 129 fits for the gear. Keep up the good work.

The seat will be raised up about 1"when the frame goes under it. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible to keep the roll bar as far away as possible. Windshield visibility doesn't look to be a problem.

The transfer case still has a spot for the speed-o gear but uses a digital one. My understanding is if you want a digital you keep it stock, If you want a cable you swap in the stock one. The pickup looks to be the same setup as the 90's Dodge Dakota so I'll probably get the electronics from one in a local yard and fit it into the dash. This will also give road speed to the megasquirt setup.

Awesome progress.  

Thanks!

Great work, It's odd that the NP 129 is that much bigger than the Np 231. I'm leaning more to changing the floor with my unibody swap, especially when I see what it takes to get the stock transfer shifter to work.

I'll see if I can get a photo of all 4 soon, There should be a 119, 129, 231, 242 sitting around here. Those photos were a compare of the 119 (1980/81 eagle) and 242 (96? Cherokee). The 231 should be about the same size as the 119/129.

There is a lot of debate over 231 vs 242 strength. According to NP the 1st number designates speed, 2nd number is strength, and 3rd is 4wd type.

So the 242 should be stronger, it also is a little unique since it has, 2wd,4wd pt, 4wd ft, N and 4wd lo. This should make it better for on/off road use. The one down side is it'll require a custom drive shaft since it has a slip yoke.

A good ref on this s-10 forum
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/new-process-transfer-cases-decoded-435029/

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:07:42 AM by cyclops231 »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
The extra 3" from your AX15 probably cancels out this option, but talk to Captspillane on here about the rear driveshaft. He somehow fitted a pipe around the driveshaft to limit the travel, which allowed him to use it for his 242 without any problems.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
I'll probably end up using an aluminum shaft from a mustang orminvana and cut it down to fit. The drive shaft slip eliminateor is a good solution but with everything else I'm doing I'd rather just make a straight one to fit then get it balanced.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:53 AM »
A xj driveshaft should work for you since the wheelbase is less than a xj, you'll just have to cut it down. What rear ax;le you gonna run?

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
The SX/4 wheelbase is shorter than an XJ by about 4 inches, an Eagle wagon is longer.

Edit: Oops, misread your post. Still, he would have to cut it down either way.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:54:48 AM by Baskinator »

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
What rear ax;le you gonna run?

I'm running an 8.8 out of an explorer w/ 3.08 gears. The setup has 31 spline shafts, disk brakes, and retains the stock bolt pattern.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
8.8 is a great rear axle, we use them alot with the jeeps. One thing I don't like is the T in the drivers side rubber line so I alway's grab another pass side rubber when I'm at the pick and pull so it works with are factory rubber line. I just finished putting one in a MJ last weekend, remember you'll gain a inch of lift in the rear just from tube diameter.

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm actually considering doing a triangulated 4 link setup (Satchell link). If for some reason this doesn't happen I'll be flipping the springs to under the axle. A few years ago a custom set was made for the car but they always rode high.  Flipping the mount should drop it back to factory, but it'll probably end up as a 4-link with the ride height somewhere in between

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »
So the 242 should be stronger, it also is a little unique since it has, 2wd,4wd pt, 4wd ft, N and 4wd lo. This should make it better for on/off road use. The one down side is it'll require a custom drive shaft since it has a slip yoke.

This:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

The gentleman mentioned in the article that has made some seal adapters (that uses the factory np242 seal) sold me one at a very reasonable price.  He was very nice to work with and didn't mind trading emails and entertaining my questions.  You're obviously an accomplished fabricator, so getting the np242 output shaft turned down, drilled, and tapped should not be a problem for you.

The yoke might seem a little pricey but in comparison to other SYE kits I believe this is a good margin.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
That is a really cool write up, I didn't even realize a SYE could be made for the 242. Would that increase the length, or is the double cardon joint not necessary in this application?

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
I'm just going to leave it a slip yoke.

Back to build progress!
Passenger Side Rockers

A little re-patching on this side, cutting out the old patch

New pc, did this in two sections since I didn't have a rocker section big enough to cover the entire area.

Rear rocker

O, hello rust! So this is where you were hiding.

Cleaned up a little

Little more cleaning up

Then I realized its all just layered rust and Everything must go!

New tabs

patched in the back rocker
*Missing photos*
Then patched in the front

Onto the Floor!

Cleared out everything with rust on it

New front floor section

Realized I forgot to replace the broken/rusted out strut rod bolt. Split the floor, ground out the pc, then welded in the new one.

Fully Welded in

Welded in the other section

Moving onto lowering the passenger seat

This little patch:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:51:39 PM by cyclops231 »

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
Onto subframe connectors and the rear floor!

Stumbled across this which may go in:

But First:
Tape it out

Then mochup of the connector

Steel sides in place

Weld Weld Weld and fin...

This is what the underside looks like:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:05:48 PM by cyclops231 »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
Way to go Cyclops!  I'm impressed by your determination and will.

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »
Way to go Cyclops!  I'm impressed by your determination and will.

Thanks! I'm trying to have all the rust repair done by June 1st. It's close... so... close...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk