News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If the world doesn't go "poof"... where'll we hold the 2013 Int'l Meet?  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Let's start generating some ideas.

If we don't do the Eagle Motel trip out in Colorado... I think this would be a great option to plan for in 2013. I personally thing the road trip for this one kinda stands on it's own but we gotta give the people what they want and if there is enough interest - let's do it!

There is always the AMC Internationals at Cordova - with concessions, drag racing, lots of cool AMC's and trophies! And, the Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary is just a few clicks away with plenty of camping space, pool, grill, and kids' stuff - so families are welcome. I even have a couple spare bedrooms that are finally getting furnised for whomever wants to crash in my humble abode. This Meet has obviously been done before - but I want to leave it open for whomever is interested because it's really easy for me to setup and I enjoy the company.

Don't they do some sort of AMC Meet up in Kenosha every few years? I've always thought it would be cool to make one of these trips as well.

Another Nester mentioned alot of off-road parks in the Midwest - I'm ALWAYS game for these but I know many of us don't have off-road worthy Eagles and especially don't want to risk damage if you've drive 1000 miles to get to that spot. If we're nere the sanctuary, we always have tools and parts to make repairs but if we're too far away then... well, you know and I'd hate for someone to be "stuck" somewhere like that... and even worse, I'd hate for people to NOT show up because of fear of such an incident. So we just need to be careful where we choose and see what interest is generated for each place. It doesn't matter to me... if we're going to an off-road park - I'll just trailor my wagon with me behind my truck, lol!

And rememeber... Int'l Meet does NOT have to be in the Midwest. That's just were we usually have more interest and volunteers AND it's nice to keep it somewhat central for guys living closer to the coast. If we do a big East Coast Meet... chances are we won't have any West Coast guys and vice versa. So we do try to keep it somewhat centralized and as accessible as possible.

So... ideas? Let's get this ball rolling early and get back on track.

Any volunteers that wish to be the Eale nest liason in your neck o' the woods to help with preparations... just holler! It doesn't matter how long you've been a member. And no idea is too far "out there" or 'stupid". We accept any and all ideas... so let the creative juices begin a' flowin' and lets start working on a 2013 Int'l Meet!!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
I'd love to show come to one of these as in the two years I've had my Eagle, its not seen another of its kind anywhere on the road (and thats traveling from Maine to Montana and back to Virginia).

As you said though, when they're out west, it takes a significant amount of time just to transit back and forth from the east coast (3 days each way in my case) And for a east coast meet, the west coasters would have the same issue.

Will just have to keep watching for a meet up closer to home.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
my vote is east coast meet
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Something closer to the middle of the country? 3,000 mile trip for me isn't in the cards (although I may move to TN if the wife and I can arrange enough job$ I can come visit my grandkids out here)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jonnyeagle

• cant swing a stick without hitting a idiot in this town.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • first time i laid eyes on her, i knew it was Love
i would love for a east coast meet, im all the way on long island haha. no way am i getting to the west coast
young with the will to learn.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
Yes, East/West Coast Meets always seem to peak the interests of alot of folks. If someone can take the reigns on it (assuming there is enough interest) then I don't see why we can't do a coastal Meet. The only thing that usually prevents coastal Meets such as an East Coast Meet is that there is limited interest to only the ones that live in the area and it totally cuts off the guys from the West Coast and some Midwestern folks. That's why mini-meets are strongly encouraged for some of these and other remote areas. Midwest or any central states usually work best and leave more opportunites to the majority of the people and tend to get better results. But again, it all depends on how much interest there is in each area. Let's see how it rolls out and maybe we'll drop a poll for further insite.
The AMC Eagle

Offline kammguy

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
my vote is east coast meet

East cost would be excellent for me too.  Maybe in a perfect world each year there could be....

• Regional west coast meet:  captures all on west coast (southwest and northwest) and those in western midwest
  • Regional east coast meet  captures all on east coast (southeast and northeast) and those in eastern midwest
  • International meet in midwest:  captures all more in the center of the country, plus a portion of folks from the east and west coasts who can make the trip
1981 Kammback
1976 Pacer

Prafeston

I'm in the middle so I can make just about anything if I have the money! :) Though something on either coast would be a stretch.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Another thought is that there is very few West coast members.  The majority of members are in Colorado and Eastward.  For a coastal meet, an East coast makes the most sense.  If I were to put on a West coast meet, there may be a couple from Oregon and Washington, and me in California.  I am sure it would be the lowest attended meet in history if it was in CA!    I am willing to drive most anywhere within reason for an International meet (the East coast would NOT be within reason for me).   If it were anywhere in the midwest or Westward, I would be willing to go.   Colorado is no problem, and even the meet in Cordova was doable for me (even got the furthest drive award last year!).....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
Technically the lowest mini meet does not appear anymore. mighta been 2009. not 08 for sure. iirc 5 of us were to be there not including my wife so technically 6. anyway tink715 drove hers out, i one of mine. sx4brosco drove a non amc. we talked and that was about it. so just saying haha. not really although talking to luke was informative.

Manitowoc WI

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
I won't pass judgement on what makes an "International" meet, but I do plan on hosting a meet at my Sanctuary each year in June. I am located about 40 minutes drive time directly north of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Driving six hours in all directions will get me to the end of Long Island going East, Niagra Falls going North, Virginia Beach going South, and Cambridge Ohio going West. For storage in my four story apartment I have several loft beds with desks or cabinets below them, so I actually have five extra beds available and lots of space for cots and the like. 

I do believe that meets should be set up throughout the country. Realistically an area of 6 hours in all directions is the reasonable limit for a weekend roadtrip. I'm imagining annual regional meets in a consistant location with a different one given the title of the "official" meet each year.

Let's give credit to Rev. Bill for suggesting for me to hold a meet. My sweetheart loves the idea and we plan on making it a consistant part of our future together. She hopes to see many female nest members and companions here each year.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Driving six hours in all directions will get me to the end of Long Island going East, Niagra Falls going North, Virginia Beach going South, and Cambridge Ohio going West.

Thats easily doable for me (I'm in VA Beach).
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
The plan was to always have regional Meets. The problem is getting people to host them and getting people to commit to attending them and then actually showing up, lol!

The international Meet was supposed to be the "big" meet where the name implies that our Int' buds fly in or drive in from Canada or wherever. It was actually started the first year and became the Int'l Meet because Jurjen flew in from the Netherlands. The next year Petr flew in from Italy? (I cant remember exactly). The follwing year we had a couple Canadians make it and the same with last year. It's really just a title and nothing more. A Meet is a Meet. The Nest can't really afford to dump several hundreds of dollars on goodies and t-shirts for every Meet so we decided to just do them for the "Int'l" meets and they seem to do better in the central US. The only reason I've hosted two here is because I volunteer to because there doesn't seem to be alot of interest in others hosting them - and really, I very much enjoy helping out and organizing these events. Just for the record - I'm always available to help with Meets elsewhere too! But again, I just kinda picked the "Int'l" Meet to focus my attention on. I hope that helps clear things up a lil bit for you guys.

I think an annual East Coast Meet would be great. June is a good time of year because the Midwest Meet is usually Aug/Sept. Now we just need someone to take the reigns on an "east coast" Meet. But like Rich said - if there's not much interest.... try elsewhere. It doesn't matter where. All that matters is that people show interest. Get some interest in it and I'll help as much as I can!

So, moving along... whatever you guys want to do - go for it! We're not going to tell anyone they can't host a meet or call it "official". Like jack said... sometimes a Meet can be just a few guys getting together and having lunch. With that being said, I'll continue to help organize the Midwest/Int'l Meets and work with guys in the area to host them. If no one is up to it - then we'll just center it around Cordova and the Sanctuary. No big deal.

I say that an east Coast Meet looks more than doable! If you're going to have some Int'l folks come down - then call it an Int'l Meet! I think it's a bit out of my reach, but if you need help with anything - let me know!

Now, anyone insterested in hosting the Midwest Meet this year?

Rich, how do you feel about organizing a Meet next year in the Colorado area or something? I have friends and family in Denver - I'd love to make a trip down there!
The AMC Eagle

Offline derrickjh

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: If the world doesn't go "poof"... where'll we hold the 2013 Int'l Meet?
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
I'd be happy just to get the Eagle Motel details.

I am in Colorado Springs, and I always seem to hear about any sort of meet after the fact.

Thanks, Derrick

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »
I wouldn't be able to make it that far myself. I will say that there are a couple places in the Ozarks of Missouri that I can get to and there seems to be a fair number of members Arkansas and  Missouri. Lake of the Ozarks or Table Rock Lake anyone?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:34:09 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
I'd be happy just to get the Eagle Motel details.

I am in Colorado Springs, and I always seem to hear about any sort of meet after the fact.

Thanks, Derrick
I suppose it depends on how you look at this...the Eagle Motel event was last October, but it will be repeated in 2014.

For future reference this event is a 2-day affair, beginning with a cruise from the Rambler Ranch in Elizabeth, Colorado to the Eagle Motel in Manitou Springs, Colorado. We enjoy lunch along the way and a great dinner in a German restaurant in Colorado Springs, not far from the motel. There are other activities and also free time. My wife and I have done the event 3 times and have had a terrific experience each time.

For more information on the Rambler Ranch do a Google search. I can tell you the place is AWESOME!

Please see this thread http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=40087.0 for photos of the last event. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
With the price of gas today and the somewhat poor MPG's that our Eagles get, it is not possible to have the "perfect" place for a meet for everyone. Some won't even drive a couple hours.  ;D Regional meets might be a better idea, but even then only a few show up. The girlfriend of a buddy of mine in CO, who is part owner of a campsite, expressed interest in having an Eagle meet at their campground. It's the Golden Eagle Campground in Colorado Springs. They have many acres out there and he said they may be able to put together a off road trail ride for the Eagles also.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:16:22 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
With the price of gas today and the somewhat poor MPG's that are Eagles get, it is not possible to have the "perfect" place for a meet for everyone. Some won't even drive a couple hours.  ;D Regional meets might be a better idea, but even then only a few show up. The girlfriend of a buddy of mine in CO, who is part owner of a campsite, expressed interest in having an Eagle meet at their campground. It's the Golden Eagle Campground in Colorado Springs. They have many acres out there and he said they may be able to put together a off road trail ride for the Eagles also.

That sounds like a great idea for a meet, whether its a local, regional, or national one - especially since it incorporates the Eagle theme.  The AMCRC is planning its national meet in Lakewood CO August 15-17 and it will include a trip to the Rambler Ranch, so one option would be to hold it at the same time.  Of course, if the Golden Eagle trip becomes a reality at another time Terry might be able to accomodate a special tour of the Ranch for whoever attends.

Here is the link to the AMCRC web site

http://amcrc.com/meets/meets.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:40:20 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline DGeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • Forget the Whales, Save the Eagles!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
Our Hoosier AMC Club is hosting Amo Nationals in Auburn, IN in July 17-20. There is a bunch of events planned already and personally, I wouldn't mind helping to plan and head up an Eagle meet at some point during the weekend.  The auburn, cord, Duesenberg museum is the site for the banquet.  The area is very car friendly and I would love to see our Hoosier club plan something for us Nesters as well!
87 Eagle Sedan--86 Eagle Sedan--98 XJ 4.6 stroker--81 Concord--78 Pacer V-8--74 Gremlin V-8- 78 Concord AMX V-8--89 Grand Wagoneers--76 J-10--69,70,71 AMX--71,73 Javelin--70 Rebel Machine, 48 Packard, 47 Nash, Many other AMC's, Fords, and Mopars....
Too Many cars too little time!!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
I am hoping to make auburn this year for sure, me my dad and my son, bringing three amcs hopefully, maybe I can get the eagle fixed by then and bring it, not sure

490 miles from here in tn

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk