News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:47:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 304 2V versus 258 2V?  (Read 20271 times)

Offline Blown7

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: 304 2V versus 258 2V?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »
Back in 1988 I installed a AMC 360 in a 1983 Eagle wagon.. it was way cool.

But you have to make a custom header for the left side of the vehicle to get the steering rod thru to the steering box.

And of course new custom engine/differential mounts.. I still have a pattern set.

I was able to use my stock 304 manifolds

I never considered using stock manifolds... I mean if your going V8... you gotta let the engine eat.

But I did use car in frame headers.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
AMC V8 stock exhaust manifolds are nearly as clean flowing as headers. They even won an award for it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline tlake

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »

For sound no doubt the V8 has the edge, what a shame it was so hard to find in an AMC small car by this time (1976-80). I got some perf figures, Cadillac Seville with injected Olds 350 V8 automatic 0-60 mph 13.3 seconds (Road & Track Oct. 1975). Pacer X 258 2V automatic 0-60 mph 13.4 seconds (Car and Driver May 1976). Not bad, but a V8 always sounds better. Mind you, comparing stock 304 and 258 there is the weight distribution issue, which was mentioned above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk