News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 01, 2024, 04:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colorado-sourced bird  (Read 9878 times)

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Colorado-sourced bird
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:27:23 AM »
I was in Denver for work this weekend, and had had a friend check out a Wagon on Colorado Springs CList for me. Medium story short, it looked great, the price was right, and I flew out here with a wad of cash in my pocket, and without a plan to actually GET the car...

The Denver monster truck show is what had me in town, and we ended up with a same-day move-in, and sunday had a pit party two shows and strike. Long story short: zero free time. I was expecting 6:30 to midnight both days. I mildly lowballed the owner when he said there was no way he could get it to Denver for me, and he accepted. Fall-back plan: store it at my friend's for later retrieval.

We ended up wrapping Saturday's show quicker than I thought and at about 22:30 my local friend and I set out to the Springs to pick up this beast. 70 miles of heavy fog and slick I-25 later, I traded $1200 for an unbelievably rust-free 87 258/auto wagon in what I'll call well-patinad maroon. Couple dents, couple known minor issues, but starts right up and had driven well for Brian.

We set off to grab dinner and it turns into a stalling machine. Half the time when leaving a stop... I think I tip in more aggressively than he does, since that seems to be the cause - and it never did it for him on his test drive. Filled it with gas, realigned the fuel filter to put the return on top, and set out for Denver.

Stalled it twice on the way up, but zero issues at highway speeds. Cruise is present; sadly non-op. seats are SHOT and I'll be borrowing a pillow for the long drive. I have a laundry list of little stuff like headlight buckets, burned out dash lights for HVAC and shifter, hatch wiring cut, key only opens the hatch not the doors, mildly out of alignment I think, but she seems solid. Quite the choice for my first ever fly-in, drive-out!

Got it inside Pepsi Arena tonight and saw it in daylight for the first time. Paint is better than I'd feared, found a single snapped rear lug stud. No other surprises. It's got a fresh oil change and tune-up, I'm leaving on a 1650 mile trip back to NY first thing in the morning!

Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Colorado-sourced bird
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
I'd say you did well.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:26 AM »
Good luck with your trip. I'm heading to the Denver area next week and may be driving my wagon so I can pull a Kammback home.
  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
I'd say you did well.

Certainly better than the rot boxes I was finding back east for the same or more $!

It's not the sx4 I want, so I'm tempted to try to flip this right after I get home and keep shopping... Be hard to find another as rustless for twice the price though.
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Just got a chance to spend some quality time under the bird at Kansasland Tire. I picked up a shimmy above 70mph just past the CO-KS border. Found low air (I'd not checked them, just kicked - and failed :)) and a mildly bent wheel. Re-balanced all 4 and I should be on my way shortly.

Spent a while looking everything over underneath and found nothing I'm unhappy about. Needs a full brake job, driver unit bearing, front-front, front link bushings, muffler and maybe: passenger unit bearing, Front lower spring bushings, driver CV axle. Has a couple non-extreme leaks and no rust at all...

I'll throw a few pics up at some point - probably more fitting in a project thread though since theyre not too scenic! :)
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Prafeston

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Awesome. Welcome to the family!

She looks to be in pretty decent shape. Only major thing I see on the exterior is the damage to the front passenger quarter. She also has the factory roof rack delete like mine. Good luck on your trip back home. Take some pics along the way!

Offline Ohio AMX

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
That's a long drive in a strange car. You da man!  :occasion14:
Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
I could have picked that thing up for you and installed a carb and ignition before you came to get it.....  Next time.  I have 4 jeeps and 1 eagle in front of my  house right now anyway.  Wife is ready to kill me.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »
congrats on the new bird dude and gronk be very careful if you decide to bring another Eagle home. :o
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
Thanks guys!
It's a long drive with non-op cruise control after 2 14 hour days on my feet! :) my right knee hates me.

Idling a little rougher here at low elevation. Looking forward to doing the altitude swap and checking out the accelerator pump wheni get home. 906 miles to go! Shamed don't have more time for sight seeing...
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 05:10:25 AM »
Double footing is normal for Eagles. Most of the time its caused by one tiny setting that is easy to get to. If you take the tiny screws off the little cover on the top front of the carb you'll see the accelerator pump linkage. It looks like a long rod through a hallow rod. A tiny screw holds the outer rod in relation to the inner rod. That screw is the way you adjust when and how much the accelerator pump does its magic. This can be adjusted while the car is running.

The vast majority of Eagles have this setting drastically off. Few people even know its there.

I've purchased several cars advertised as bad carbs that would not drive without stalling. All of them were fixed in minutes with that single adjustment. Usually the idle RPM is way too high to compensate and that can be lowered a half turn at both screws at the same time.

Honestly the Carter BBD is a perfectly fine carb. It is capable of running very well and very efficiently in terms of fuel mileage. The problem is that its very sensitive to temperature changes and requires monthly adjustment. At the very least you need to adjust it in the spring and fall. It also has a very small bore and will restrict the amount of fuel and air available to the engine. It drastically limits the available horsepower to the engine. I've seen 28 MPG from a properly set automatic Eagle and 29 MPG from a manual 258 Eagle. I've never seen above 26 MPG from my 1992 stickshift XJ.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:12:05 AM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
Makes me wish harder that I had a tach :)

I'll take a look at that before I roll this morning. I don't think that my idle is up high to compensate, by sound I'd say it's 500ish. Low enough that it's a little rough here at 900' when it was smooth in CO.

So far I've gotten 19.9, 16.8, 19.1 mpg. Assuming the odo is accurate and I think it's very very close. I haven't clocked it against gps yet but the speedo is within 3% or so.
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
My speedo is off by like 4 mph according to my GPS. If my speedo says I'm doing 70 my GPS says I'm doing 73-75. I find it odd too as TQ is pretty much all stock.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
Another one for the ny roster  :occasion14: , congrats on the find, and the long trip  :o .
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Ohio AMX

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
My speedo is off by like 4 mph according to my GPS. If my speedo says I'm doing 70 my GPS says I'm doing 73-75. I find it odd too as TQ is pretty much all stock.
I recently rented 2 new cars for trips (Toyota and Nissan) and both speedos were off by about that much.
Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk