News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 12:48:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starter wont disengage sometimes  (Read 2203 times)

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Starter wont disengage sometimes
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »
So first the starter solenoid would just click and then after a while the car would start, replaced the starter solenoid, cleaned all the connections, installed new ground cable, worked fine. Now out of the blue I go to turn it over and for the first three turns of the key nothing, and I mean nothing, no clicks no sound at all, then I hit the key again and it starts right up but the starter wont disengage! I hit the key a couple times and finally it stopped. Then I turned the key again and it fired right up???

I'm guessing it has something to do with something inside of the steering column?

I took it to jeep after I bought it so they could check it out and they told me that I needed a idle stop solenoid and the choke was stuck. In order to shut it off when its warm I have to pop a gear after taking the key out, 5-speed. does this have anything to do with it?

Also, anyone know where to get a idle shut off solenoid? As best I can tell its the ES87 idle stop solenoid? Can anyone verify this as there is one for $55?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:23:55 AM by olymunch »

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: Starter wont disengage sometimes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
could be a relay but everytime that has happened to me it was caused by a the starter gear and or fly wheel being damaged or just plain gunked up causing them to bind up thus not allowing the starter to diengage...I would check the relay fist..if its good pop off the starter and check that...if both are ok it almost has to be the flywheel....One way to check the relay is when it doesnt disengage disconnect the relay and it should disigage immediatly if it is the relay to blame.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
The starter is brand new, where is the relay?
So prob not the idle shutoff?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
It could be that you got a bad solenoid (relay) or starter.

I would try a different battery or see if there is corrosion in the wires going to the battery. A solenoid can stick on if the battery is weak (had that happen a couple of times), but if the battery is good corrosion that has worked inside the cables or between the cables and lugs can create a lot of resistance.

I had a hard-to-start car that melted the ground cable out of the terminal clamp due to internal corrosion, and the cable was only a couple of years old. I put a new terminal clamp on and it has worked ever since.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
If its an I-6 then the starter relay on the inner fender.  The positive cable goes right to it.  Make sure you get the right one for an auto or manual transmisson.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk