News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 06:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i hit a water jacket.  (Read 3656 times)

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
i hit a water jacket.
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
Was replacing valve cover...last hole to drill...had gotten an excellent feel for how far to drill...when of course, i go too far and coolant goes everywhere...

From reading on here my engine isnt trashed but i need very detailed and specific instruction to fix as i would not like to make this worse....

Help please!!!

1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline projectscreamingeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: i hit a water jacket.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
perfect excuse to do the 4.0 head swap!  ;D
with his claws bearing the screaming eagle will prevale
im not buyist i own an AMC
'is that suppose to go there' - class mate 'I don know... we'll find out' -me

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:18 AM »
Heh...not in the budget at the moment...feel like a total idiot now, i had a bad feeling about the last hole...just glad to know my engine is not fubar...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »
Simples fix would just be to tap it and screw the valve cover wit some silicone on the bolt.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:33:02 AM »
Yep, that's what i did after i found amc78concord's thread about a bad install job. Everything looks good as of now, so hopefully it holds up.
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »
Saw this too late.......I would've suggested lock tite and a stud, rather than a bolt so you can remove it later if need be with out coolant going everywhere. The bolt will work too, but just remember to drain your coolant if you need to change your VC gasket, lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
Did the same thing a few weeks ago tapping my 350 block for an alternator mount.  I fixed it not by tapping it, but by using a Grade 8 bolt 'backwards'.  I used my grinder to take the hex head off of the bolt.  I took time to make sure it was as perfectly round as possible.  I found a drill bit that drilled the exact same size hole as the bolt diameter.  NOTE - The bolt will NOT fit into the hole.  It's the exact same size.   I purchased a small chunk of dry ice from the grocery store ($2) and I wrapped the bolt up w/ the ice for 20 minutes.   I then put a torch on the block and heated the hole up quite a bit.  Quickly, I beat the frozen bolt into the hot hole w/ a small sledge.  The block cooled and shrank, the bolt warmed and expanded.  I now have a forever-there stud in the block.  I couldn't get it out if I had to.  I used the stud sticking out of the block instead of threading a bolt into the block.  It sounds complicated but it really wasn't.  You would then use a spacer and a nut to tighten down the valve cover in your case.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
i will have to drain coolant at some point i believe, my radiator is garbage -- probably a good idea to just flush all coolant and start over then.

at this point everything looks good and secure -- no oil, no coolant so for now i am safe.

will definitely do a stud when i take it all apart again.  thanks for all your help
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »
Saw this too late.......I would've suggested lock tite and a stud, rather than a bolt so you can remove it later if need be with out coolant going everywhere. The bolt will work too, but just remember to drain your coolant if you need to change your VC gasket, lol.
his is the way i would go
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk