News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What you've all been waiting for... Details for the 2011 Int'l Eagle Nest Meet!  (Read 32704 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL!!
YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE AT ANY TIME, BUT ONLY ONE VOTE PER PERSON. THIS WILL HELP ME GET SOME SORT OF IDEA ON HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE MAKING IT OUT. THANKS!

Thanks for being patient guys! I think everyone knows the dates at this point, they've posted in several threads, but I never got around to posting an actual lineup of the events thus not making it official. Well folks, even though it's been official for probably over a year now - we can officially say it's official, lol! We're trying something different this year than what we've done the past few years. Usually, we over plan and stress out and probably make things more difficult than they really need to be... at least, that's how my last Meet was than I hosted. I think that Doug and Brandon can probably understand where I'm coming from. Doug's meet was fairly simple and straightforward and it was the best Meet thusfar. Maybe because it was the first Meet. Maybe because Doug is just a studly man and he makes everything "better", lol! I don't know - but the plan is to get back to those roots! I want to make it simple and more about just hanging out and spending time with fellow Nesters. The first Meet I hosted was in 2008 I think and I tried to plan everything down to the minute... nothing goes as planned, lol - so we're not doing that this year! We're just going to set some activites with general times for each day and then we're gonna wing it! I want you to all be relaxed and have a good time. So without further ado... here is the tentative schedule!

Friday September 9th, 2011 -  This is the day that I suspect most members will arrive. We'll all meet up at my place and just hang out. I'll give you the grand tour of the Sanctuary, pull out all the goodies for anyone wanting to make a purchase and also bring out all the service manuals for everyone to thumb through and enjoy. Around roughly 6-7pm, we'll discuss dinner and find a good place to eat. Afterwards, everyone can take off and get settled in to there hotels or their camping gear here at the Sanctuary.

Saturday September 10th, 2011 - This is going to be an early day so we can get good spots at the Cordova dragway which is about an hour from the Sanctuary. The dragway opens at 8am. We'll use this thread to discuss what time we will leave. I don't mind hanging around the Sanctuary for the first part of the day and then taking off to Cordova around 11am. Or if we want the early bird spots - we should leave here at 6am. Plenty of time to decide what we're doing there. Cordova's park will be open until 8pm for the AMC Internationals. Here is a quote directly from their site regarding the day's plan...

AMC Nationals with Swap Meet and Car Show  8:00am - 2:00pm
Bracket Points Race #11 + Bikes #8 + West Racing Heads Quick 8
Open 2:00pm  Time Trials 3pm, Eliminations 7pm
You can find more info here at http://www.cordovadrag.com/pages/schedule.html.
FYI - IF FOR SOME REASON, IT IS RAINED OUT - EVERYTHING WILL MOVE TO SUNDAY!

My personal opinion, even though we all know I love to sleep, is that we leave fairly early so that we can enjoy the duration of the car show and the swap meet. Again, we have plenty of time to figure this out. There will be food vendors there and restrooms and things like that - but be sure to bring a few extra bucks to eat on. And don't forget that Cordova is right at an hour from the Sanctuary so if you plan on following the convoy, make preparations for fuel and things like that. Also, I am trying to work out a deal with Cordova as far as fees go - but my guess is that we will all still have to pay an entry fee to get into the park/dragway. Please do not forget about this. Fees are as follows...

Regular Saturday Adults       $11.00
Regular Saturday Kids (6-12) $3.00
Kids under 6 are free

Cash, credit or debit cards accepted at the pit gate.
Gift certificates are available in any denomination.
Call the track at 309-654-2110 with any questions.
More info at http://www.cordovadrag.com/pages/tickets.html.

And I think that if you want to enter the car show - it's $25-35. I'm working on confirming the exact amount now. Note, that if you enter the car show or race... the entry fee is included, so it would be a flat $25-35. So don't worry about the entry fee being tacked on as well. They have not had an "Eagle class" in a few years but I am working on having this setup again this year so that trophies will be offered for our class. I will post more information as it comes in. Also, don't forget to think about souvenirs! NAMDRA may be doing something really cool for us this year and it involves their merchandise... so, you may want to put back a few bucks - just in case! :) I'm trying to work closely with "mramc" and most of my information thusfar has come from him. For those of you that do not know him, he's a great guy and very helpful. Please post any questions concerns here and I am sure that between mramc and I, we can figure it out!

Sunday September 11, 2011 - I'd like us to all meet up and have breakfast. We'll discuss time and location the previous evening. For those than need to scoot - we will see them off and for those that wish to hang out longer, we will use this day for just hanging out at the Sanctuary. We'll turn some wrenches, I'll fire up the grill and cook you the BEST BBQ brisket you've ever had with my famous jack daniels sauce. We'll roast some sweet corn on the grill, bust out some home-made baked beans, potatoes, chips, cottage cheese, ice cold beverages and some music. My band is pretty much on hold right now, but I'm working on either hiring my buddy's band for the night or hiring a karaoke rig to come out. I have a pool, big sturdy swingset, big gated trampoline and plenty of running room for kiddos and Eagles! Sunday will basically be just a big BBQ/hang out day. I really hope that you all can be here Sunday as well!

Update: Sunday we will be swapping doors and installing new door gaskets for sure on Jim's wagon. Anyone else needing repairs - please shoot me a message and we can probably work it in.

If I find out soon enough that most of you cannot hang out Sunday, maybe we can take off from Cordova early and then come back to the Sanctuary and do all this stuff on Saturday as well! We could leave at 6am for Cordova and hang out until about 3-4pm and be back at the Sanctuary by 5pm and fire up the grill and open up the pool! It won't be getting dark until about 8-9pm so we'll still have plenty of time to hang out and enjoy some good food and the warm weather. Then Sunday morning we can meet up for breakfast and see everyone off and those that stick around can enjoy leftovers and some wrenching! Either way works for me. You have the basic plan for the weekend and we're going to pretty much wing it and not stress about meeting timelines or fitting too much into one weekend. We're just going to hang out and have a good time!

Don't forget, we'll have T-shirts and goodie bags. I'm working on another gift package from AutoZone and also talking with the local HotRod club to see if they want to come hang out and enjoy the day. There are also several other local Eagle enthusiasts that will be here. I think it's going to be a good year - you don't want to miss this one guys!

I'd like to start getting some sort of preliminary head count for who will camping here at the Sanctuary. I have plenty of parking space and I have 200amp service in the house and the shop so we can feed you all the power you need. There is also a couple water hookups outside, but it is well water and it is not great tasting. We will have plenty of bottled water on hand. We don't have mosquitos out here. Seriously, I think I've had two bites in two years. We do have LOTS of frogs and cats though! In fact, we just had some kittens... so feel free to take one or two home with you, lol!

Ok, so there's the preliminaries! Post your questions here and I will answer them as I can. Please read the whole thread though before asking your question because you're answer may be in there! I will update this thread as the time draws nearer. Once again, I'm really looking forward to this guys!

One more thing! The Previous Meet DVD's will be done this year and I will be giving a free copy to all arrivals. For those that cannot make it, it will cost $2 to cover shipping and disc. For those that want Blu-ray, I will burn them only as requested and they will cost $10 regardless due to cost of discs. This year's Meet will be taped in HD and will be available about a month after the Meet.

T-shirt will have the SX4 on it this year and the prices will remain the same as previous years.

Thanks guy!
-Mav

The Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary
383 Knox Rd 50 E
Abingdon, IL. 61410

Cordova directions here at http://www.cordovadrag.com/pages/directions.html.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:30:51 PM by Mavericke »
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
Be sure to post any requests you may have for goodies, prizes and/or events! Thanks!
The AMC Eagle

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Mavericke, IowaEagle has what is left of the goodie bags I put together for last year.  I cannot remember, but I think there are between 12-15 left. I also have some more bags and signs and stuff from Hemmings.  I will send them your way when I get paid next.  Also don't forget RockAuto has been good for a gift card every year so far.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
Ah yes, I forgot about Rock-Auto! I will get in touch with them asap. Thanks for any help you send my way - always appreciated. Glad you're ok with the bags cause I already told Doug to bring them LOL! I think he has several left over from the 2008 Meet as well. I was thinking we could combine them and have some really cool goodie bags for like the first 10-15 arrivals. Going to try to add a couple items to them this year too. Thanks again man!
The AMC Eagle

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
I wondered when you would show up here again.  We plan to be there but we won't be camping.  Make sure you schedule time to change out both passenger doors on the blue wagon. ;D
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
How does Sunday sound for the door install? Want me to get some hotel information for you? We've posted that stuff previously, but I think it's just as easy for everyone to Google it - however, if you have questions about any particular hotels - I can at least tell you if it's nice or not. The one everyone stayed at that first year is the cheapest in town it has a bar, pool and 24hr restauraunt. It's not the nicest, but the sheets are clean.

For thos insterested.... last I knew the rooms were $55 a night and the name of the place is called "The Broadview"... I believe it's a Ramada.
The AMC Eagle

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
I will put it on my calendar, and Lord willing, I will be there!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
will we all get to droll over the ultra rare diesel eagle this year?
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
will we all get to droll over the ultra rare diesel eagle this year?

Not sure right now.  IF I show up, it WILL be in an Eagle.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
I would really love to see that Turbo in person. After now owning a Turbo Diesel Dodge which is really just a bigger version of out 258's... I'm in love with Deisels! I am determined to drop a Cummins in an Eagle without getting rid of too much of the original drive train... or at least keep it AMC. For instance, going with some AMC Wagoneer axles or something. The gears have been turning on this for awhile. I won't be pulling the trigger for quite some time though. Too many irons in the fire right now as it is. I'd be happy to be able to get Pat's Eagle and My wagon finished for the Meet though I have a feeling I'll be pushing it to get his done on time. At the very least his will be painted for the Meet and I hope to win a trophy with how purty she is this year! :D Might have to finish it and not let Pat have it back until after all the big local car shows are done around here, lol!
The AMC Eagle

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Well we're planning on being there for Friday, then part of Saturday.  Then well head to Chicago for a reunion of sorts my Brother wants to see happen before he gets shipped out again.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
It has been confirmed... there will be a nice little suprrise for all of those attending the Cordova show. Plan on bringing a few extra bucks as it will cost money to make it happen, but it is already in the works and I promise you will want to own what NAMDRA is putting out!

Also, for anyone wishing to enter the car show... the fee for that will be $25-35. I know that seems a little steep and I really hope you can all enter even if you're ride isn't going to win. It would be really cool to be able to see all of our Eagles lined up for some good photos. Plus, we're working on an Eagle class so who knows... you may win a trophy! :P
The AMC Eagle

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
Original Post updated with some corrections and minor details. Also, we plan to do some wrenching on Sunday. So far we've got Jim's wagon to work on. We will be swapping out his doors and possibly installing new door gaskets.

Anyone wanted repairs or upgrades, let me know now so I can pencil it in. I'd like to have an idea on what we're going to be doing and know whether or not I need to pull parts off ahead of time or special order something.
The AMC Eagle

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
He lives!!!!!! Lol

Good to see you back and posting mav.

I'm afraid though that it's a bit to fa away for me to make it to this meet though. Besides, i would want to make the trip in an eagle and all of those are projects now. Lol
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

rohnk

I mentioned this in another post, but what about doing a carb swap to the Motorcraft 2100 kit? It could be informative and entertaining to get a few guys in there learning to perform this popular swap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk