News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hypereagle's AMC V8 Mounting Kits  (Read 65485 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: hypereagle's AMC V8 Mounting Kits
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
Terry from the AMCA told me you did those mounts.  That's the first thing he said when I told him I was looking into doing a stroker motor - He goes "Nahhh, you need a 360 in that - get ahold of Hypereagle."

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »
Yeah, those mounts are the way to go. Theoretically, you could fab as you went and save some cash but Hyper's brackets do make the job much easier.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
It would take me over a week of measuring, comparing, grunting, and several prototypes before making a bracket as nice as his are. His brackets are an incredible value for how much time it takes to develop them yourself. Time is more precious than money to most of us. I definately agree that buying his brackets was the way to go.

There is a high capacity oil pan that is a common upgrade for Jeeps. The bottom of it is obviously larger and could only fit in a Jeep. I wonder if that was the picture you saw? The AMX/ Javelin guy I talked to said that his oil pans were used in both Jeeps and Passenger cars. I have a 304 from a CJ7 that I'm using to position the brackets and exhaust with. It will be replaced by a 401 once I buy one. I'll have to flip it upside down and bolt the axle to it and get back to you guys about whether a Jeep oil pan actually works or not.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »
I've removed the inapropriate posts and sent PM's to each of you directly regarding the matter. It can be dealt with in private instead of an an open forum where your opinion my be regarded as slander. If you want to start a separate thread trash talking me, the Sanctuary I've worked my tail off building, or the way I do things - be my guest, but it's a bit ridiculous to be posting this all on Terry's thread where he's trying to sell brackets. Everything off topic has been removed and I've responded to each of you personaly. You know how to reach me if you wish to continue in private. Any further deviation from the topic of this thread will be reported to a senior admin.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »
ok, just so I understand this because I was chatting to several people at the High River show an shine:

to physically mount a V8 in an eagle (and I'm not counting all the other stuff ya gotta do), all that has to be changed over is to get your mounts, and that's pretty much it?  or did I miss something in a post?   I tried to read the whole topic, but my eyes went buggy.   :o

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
The reason its so difficult is because the front axle of an Eagle is mounted to the engine. In a Spirit, you can buy fancy adaptors that have a 258 bolt pattern on one side and a V8 bolt pattern on the other. In a Jeep you get different metal L brackets and bolt them to the frame where the 258 brackets used to be. Both are bolt and go solutions. In an Eagle, however, its not at all the same. You have to make very fancy metal brackets that incorporate the axle supports on both sides of the engine. Terry has done a great job at making a very complex pattern that incorporates everything you need.

The next tricky part is that Eagles have the engine offset two inches to the passenger side to make room for the front driveshaft. A 258 doesn't have anything on that side of the engine, so it doesn't matter. On an AMC V8, however, there is a exhaust manifold on that side. You have to cut the old 258 mounts off the crossmember and weld on new mounts closer to the driver's side. The engine will still be offset, but it will be offset less than before. The lateral spacing of the new mounts is critical, so you have to weld it after everything is bolted together and squeezed in. I'll be supporting the engine with an engine hoist with the crossmember removed. It will be bolted to my factory T5 with its manifolds, front axle, transfer case, driveshaft, and full motor mounts all attached to the engine. I will then put the crossmember under the engine, shimmy it until I can tell where to weld, and then mark the crossmember and take everything back apart. I will be using a much stronger transmission than the T5 but I need it installed during this step to position the engine where it will be compatible with any factory transmission and driveshaft.

I've put information about the transmission options elsewhere in this forum. For an Automatic you definately want to use the TF727 because it shares the same linkages as our factory TF998s. Only use a TF998 or T5 if you have a 304. The 360 and 401 need stronger transmissions and rear axles to go with them. Most people will get the TF727 and AMC 360 together from a full size Jeep. Beware of the TH400, its the other common transmission in full size Jeeps. It must be avoided since its not compatible with kickdown levers, floor shifters, transfer cases, or even axles.

Plan on getting a Dana 44 rear axle from a Cherokee. The Commanche Dana 44 will also work well, but they have spring perches on the wrong side and no shock mounts. A Grand Cherokee Dana 44 has rear calipers, but they too need all their old mounts cut off. Ideally you should weld on new spring perches and Eagle shock mounts on any axle, but the Cherokee ones kinda work as is. One of the shocks will be on the wrong side of the axle and the perches are abit off, but it will work. I've also heard of some people doing well with Ford Explorer axles. The Jeep community also has directions to easily convert the Cherokee drum brakes to the Grand Cherokee calipers.

Flywheels are hard to come by. They're the same thickness as a 258 flywheel and have the same bolt pattern, but they are balanced specifically to the engine. I will use an Advance Adaptor between an NV3550 and a T5 bellhousing to retain the original flywheel and clutch linkage. To install my 6 speed NSG370 I will need to bring a 4.0 flywheel to a machine shop and have it rebalanced to match the flywheel or flexplate my engine came with. A 4.0  flywheel is a quarter inch thinner and I must use the factory slave cylinder because the NSG370 has an integral bellhousing.

I have a set of Spirit AMX headers that I will attempt to use, but I honestly don't think they will work. Everyone I know of has used the factory 360 manifolds (360 manifolds are bigger and should be used even if you have a 304) because only one pipe then needs to snake its way around the control arm supports and driveshaft. Its considerably more cramped in an Eagle than a Spirit.

The oil filter will not fit. You need a remote oil filter kit. The only one I know of is sold by bull-tear. There is also a rumor that a Jeep oil pan will not work since the original mockup was done using a V8 from a passenger car. A Javelin guy told me that the pans are actually the same. I'll have to flip my Jeep V8 over and try bolting the axle on when I get home to find out for sure. The high capacity Jeep pans are fatter and they definately won't fit.

I have pictures of a 304 installed differently in an Eagle. That one was fabricated to hang the axle from the front of the transmission. Those mounts are crude, hideous, and obviously weaker than Terry's mounts. For the amount of time and aggravation it takes to mock these up its well worth buying his. The only advantage I see of making your own mounts is that you can position the axle further from the engine to accomodate a larger oil pan or a lift. Terry put the axle as close to the engine as possible.  Even then I think it would be better to buy his and modify them than to start from scratch.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
Thanks for that info Cats, as I am mulling over what to do in a similar case. I have a 401 and a 390.I was going to put the 401 in my AMX, but should use the 390 and get it rebuilt( as it was a stock gopac car). It now has a 304 ( non original) in it and will be pulled.Knowing I wouldn't gain much between a 304 and a 258 with a 4.0 head swap, the larger 401 seemed to be the ticket. Some may cringe at this, but haveing an extra wagon around, I am thinking of changeing to strickly RWD, looseing the front diff and transfer case ,adding on the extra limited slip I have, and makeing a drag wagon.Haveing to also stiffen up the unibody to do so is an added task too. Great explination !! Thanks

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
 >:D Awesome, there then will be two Eagle draggin wagons in NY  :occasion14:, I still haven't had time to swing over the guys house that has the mopar powered one. He has it sitting out in front of his house, awesome looking car...
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
For some reason seeing the older drag wagons at Lebanon Valley has allways stuck in my mind , and I think the longer wheelbase helps somehow....?

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
Longer wheelbase is more stable at higher speeds  8).
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »
I forgot to mention suspension upgrades. You shouldn't install a V8 without replacing your coil springs and leaf springs. The coil springs in 304 V8 Spirits are the same dimensions, but they use a thicker wire stock. There are several sizes of the heavier wire stock available that will work. The other options are found by searching for 1970 and newer Javelin coil springs.

AMC Eagles have a different length coil spring on the passenger side than the driver side from the factory. It helps with the engine offset. Coil springs are sold in pairs, however, so I've been ordering two slightly different coil springs pairs and then combining them to make a custom pair for two Eagles. You can compare specs available by searching through the different options available for Javelins at Rockauto. After comparing them, I don't think it is a big enough difference to bother doing that if you only have one car. 

The stock rear leaf springs are fine, but they are worthwhile to replace at the same time you're doing the front. SX4 leafs are especially prone to failure because the second leaf does not properly support the first one. I always replace the rest of the leaf pack with the heavier and longer leaves from a Jeep Cherokee. They are the same width. The longer second leaf supports the top leaf and prevents more of the same problems in the future. I also use rear shocks with coils integrated into them called "Load-leveler" shocks. They do a great job.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »
360, T-5, still alive.  The problem with T-5 isn't the tranny itself, it the operator.  Poor shifting techniques are what does them in.  My 360 is .020" over,  decked to 9.2:1, custom grind cam from LAZER CAMS, 4bbl Q-Jet, and 3" exhaust.  Not saying the T-5 can't be smashed, but mine came straight out a 179,xxx mile wagon, I have since put another 3 Moab trips on it, countless daily driving miles (before the straight axle).  And it's hanging in there.

If this isn't testing the torque capacity of the tranny not sure what is.

http://youtu.be/c7hR8TP1mC0

I'm just saying I wouldn't stall my V-8 swap just because I had a T-5.
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
Awesome Mick! You photo just proved a point that I have been trying to get across to my fuel injected jeep buddies (who are busting my chops about my carb choice, lol), a properly set up will run at extreme angles  :occasion14:.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
I think I found these pictures from an ebay auction for a SX4 already converted to a 304 V8. The first picture shows the bulltear remote oil filter needed. The second shows the common problem spot on the passenger side. The engine mounts are welded to the crossmember with the exhaust in place to get it as close to that support as possible without touching it. It will not be offset as far as the 258 is.

The third and fourth picture show how pathetic and unprofessional this conversion was in comparison to Terry's mounts. I'm sure this set up worked just fine, but it sure looks shady. Terry does a rather nice job on his mounts.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/jeep-wrangler-nv3550-5-speed-transmission-to-jeep-258--v8-adapter-plate-kit/

This is the adaptor plate that allows an NV3550 to be installed behind a T5 or SR4 bellhousing. The input shaft is about 3/4 inch longer than a T5 input shaft. My Scrambler has this adaptor plate with its NV3550 conversion because it retained the stock flywheel and mechanical clutch linkage this way. My 401 V8 SX4 will also have this adaptor plate because AMC V8s are externally balanced and incompatible with 4.0 flywheels.

This next link is for the remote filter kits necessary because the oil filter doesn't fit with our Eagle crossmembers. This website also has a great number of AMC V8 performance parts.

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=133
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:57:28 AM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk