News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hypereagle's AMC V8 Mounting Kits  (Read 65476 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: hypereagle's AMC V8 Mounting Kits
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Hypereagle how do you know what is what? I'm asking on a manual.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
Hypereagle... can you please give me the specs I need for the I6 Manual Flywheel to be machine for the 80's Wagoneer 360? If you could give me whatever I need for the machine shop - that would be awesome. And you gotta spell it out like I'm a 3yr old too because I don't know anything about it, LOL! So please don't assume I know the lingo when you give me the specs. Give me exactly what I need to tell the machine shop.

What is needed to the automatic? I am trying to get Pat's ready as well but his is an automatic. So any specs or whatever else is needed would be helpful! Thanks!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
I'll send some pics of what I did for my flywheel and talk to an AMCA member that did at one time have the proper flywheel/flexplate weight weight numbers.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »
That'd be great guys! The good news is that I found a couple oil pans for Pat and I... knocked me back a few bucks, but will save some work in the long run.
The AMC Eagle

Offline hypereagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
talked to the guy about balance weights at our AMC club meeting tonight and he"s getting on it.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Sounds good... so it seems there is alot more parts involved in a 360 swap than just a 360, lol! Ugh, it's been nuts just trying to find everything needed.

I've learned that the 304 and 360 flexplates are so close (down to the tiniest fraction) in balancing that they will work for each other. I've also learned that you can take the flywheel off an automatic with the correct 360 balancing and have you 258 Flexplate balanced to those specks. You just take them both into the machine shop and tell them that you want the flexplate balanced the same as the flywheel and all will be done. This is also much cheaper than buying a new flexplate.

And as mentioned before, you need a smaller oil pan. Not just any Jeep 360 is going to work, you need to get an oil pan off of a passenger car. Luckily, in my search for information... I've found a NICE AMC bone yard that doesn't crush, only 25 miles from me. Not many Eagles left, but plenty AMC 304's and 360's from Ramblers and Javelins. Lots of those cars intact laying around there. I didn't have time to snag photos but I will be heading out there again soon to check everything out and maybe post some parts for anyone interested.

So yeah, even with a good running 360 and a solid Eagle... it's no simple task installing a 360. You're much better off digging one out from a passenger car in the first place.
The AMC Eagle

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
I didn't use his mounts rather my own made and fabbed from what I have. Motor sits high in the bay but it needed basically nothing to go in there cept my fabricating.

Manitowoc WI

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »

I've learned that the 304 and 360 flexplates are so close (down to the tiniest fraction) in balancing that they will work for each other. I've also learned that you can take the flywheel off an automatic with the correct 360 balancing and have you 258 Flexplate balanced to those specks. You just take them both into the machine shop and tell them that you want the flexplate balanced the same as the flywheel and all will be done. This is also much cheaper than buying a new flexplate.

I think that is called "match balancing".  I read about a guy that made a fixture for match balancing flywheels on a Diesel 'Benz.  From what I understand, balancing is done one of two ways.  1- the entire rotating assembly (crank, flywheel/flexplate, harmonic balancer) is balanced as a unit, and 2- each piece is balanced separately.  If I understand it correctly, match balancing will only work for the first option (new flywheel is matched to the old, so the rest of the parts do not know a part has changed).  If all the parts are balanced separately, then all that needs to be done is have the new part balanced.  You will not be able to use option 1 unless you are tearing down the engine, so match balancing would be the only way to balance a replacement flywheel.   Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:07:12 AM »
I think you're right Rich. The 360 is also balanced on the outside... can't remember the correct terminology for that but it basically means that it can be balanced separately from the crank and stuff. You're right too, it's called "match balancing".

I found most of the info on a Jeep site, but thought it would be useful here. Since the flywheel in my 258 is practically brand new (replaced with new clutch and all that jazz a couple years ago with practially no miles on them) then I will just have that flywheel match-balanced. I think it's the cheapest way to go.

AutoZone used to offer a remanned flywheel for $60 (with $80 core) but now only offer new ones for the 304/360 and they're $200!! Ouch! Can't swing that! I called a couple other places and one can't get them and the other is almost $300. Online is even worse. If anyone has any better ideas... please share!
The AMC Eagle

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
I would love to be able to hand someone a 4.0 flywheel and a AMC V8 flywheel and get back a the 4.0 flywheel balanced properly to live behind a V8. There is a quarter inch difference between them and I've always been worried about having trouble with the clutch linkage. Do we know for sure that is easy to do?

Has anyone successfully put a 4.0 transmission behind an AMC V8 with the thicker flywheel? The hydraulic clutch cylinders might not care about the difference in thickness, but I don't want to assemble the cars on a guess. I have two pairs of Terry's Eagle V8 mounts I'm now gearing up to install.

I have two NV3550 5 speeds and one NSG370 6 speed from 2004 and 2006 Jeep Wranglers I want to put behind a 360 and a 401. I also have an AX15 with internal clutch cylinder that would be an option with the right flywheel. Right now I have an Advanced Adaptor that mates the NV3550 to a T5 bellhousing in order to retain all of the original flywheel thickness and clutch parts. That is not an option for the 6 speed because it has an intergral bellhousing.

-Dave Spillane-
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
Well, I'm not sure of the numbers on my tranny but it's the stock 4-speed manual they put in the SX4 in 1982. I just had the flexplate machined and balanced and it will be going on hopefully this weekend. I will let you know how it goes!
The AMC Eagle

Offline hypereagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 11:46:01 PM »
Used the 258 flywheel myself and balanced it for the 360. The nice part about the 6 cyl flywheel is that it's a lot lighter. Sort of like a V8 flywheel with the back side hollowed out if that makes any sense.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
Well, I'm not sure of the numbers on my tranny but it's the stock 4-speed manual they put in the SX4 in 1982. I just had the flexplate machined and balanced and it will be going on hopefully this weekend. I will let you know how it goes!

I will also need to machine and balance mine. Did you need a V8 flexplate or flywheel to compare to? Did you give the machine shop any figures or specifications?

Your four speed is called a SR4. It has reverse down and to the left of first. The T4 was available in later years, that has reverse back and to the right of third like the T5. A Jeep or Eagle T5 is a direct replacement and they can be found for a hundred dollars or so. The T5 is a very weak transmission and the SR4 is even weaker.

The SR4 belongs in the scrap heap. The fork on the shift lever has a deep notch on one side and it will eventually break. I've personally broken six of them. I have had to drive the car with a huge screwdriver in the top of the trans case multiple times. In contrast the T4 and T5 have a ball at the bottom that will not leave you stuck on the side of the road. Don't bother putting that junk back in such a nicely restored vehicle.

-Dave Spillane-

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
As mentioned before, you need a smaller oil pan. Not just any Jeep 360 is going to work, you need to get an oil pan off of a passenger car.

I had never heard of oil pan differences before. Do you have any comparison pictures? Do we know what vehicle donors definately work and which definately don't? I contacted a Javelin parts guy who said he had "late model" pans available, but I'm not exactly sure what that means.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline hypereagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
you know the possibility of my makeing this oil pan issue worse than it probably is I had seen a pic of an AMC V8 oil pan that I had never seen before or at least that I forgot about. The reason I have been saying use a car oil pan is the pic I saw  would most definately work in any AMC prodution car as the sump reached way far ahead. This would not clear any cars crossmember.
 Just search for an hour and could not find that pic. Any car should work.
 I too have no idea about what was said about early our later model pans either. The only differeance I know of and is insignificant is location of drain plug. Some on the side and some at the rear.

What I do remember is the pic of that oil pan was listed by 1 of the solid axle guys in the forum. Maybe some one will take note of this post and help us out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:58:35 PM by hypereagle »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk