News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Eagle, 231 Swap, what to do about front axle vacuum actuator?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline CaliEagle97

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
So, I have found an NP231 case from a TJ, and I already plan on doing a rebuild & SYE for the rear output. My question is, has anyone found a way to change the front axle vacuum lock to work without vacuum? I was thinking either electronic lock or adjusting the stock dash vacuum switch to work for just the axle, but maybe someone has a better idea on what I should do.
Be groovy or leave, man

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: 84 Eagle, 231 Swap, what to do about front axle vacuum actuator?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 03:25:04 PM »
The existing vacuum switch and actuator can be used with a bit of plumbing rerouting and deletion. I don't have a diagram for it but you are basically removing all the lines to the transfer case so the switch only moves the front actuator in or out.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »
lock the front axle and redo the vacuum lines can make into shift on the fly rather than stop and shift.
 http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Front_Axle_Lock
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline CaliEagle97

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
lock the front axle and redo the vacuum lines can make into shift on the fly rather than stop and shift.
 http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Front_Axle_Lock

Won't that cause axle damage with extended driving? It sounds the same as driving on pavement with permanently locked hubs
Be groovy or leave, man

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 10:27:57 PM »
Since its an open diff and the 4wd is not engaged it acts like the later eagles that didn't have the axle disconnect. Ive got 40 thousand on mine since doing this and changing the vacuum lines now allows me to shift to 4wd on the fly with out stoping to shift to 4wd.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk