News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sorting electrical mess  (Read 1625 times)

Offline junkyard

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Sorting electrical mess
« on: July 05, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
I am going through the wiring and there are so many unused plugs, I am unsure what to do with it.  My eagle is an 86 and she has a MSD distributor installed by PO. Problem is all the wiring is there but none of the switches are present i.e. vacuum, stepper motor, idle speed solenoids etc. Most of the computer wiring in the engine compartment appears unplugged.  She runs without any of it, not very great though.  what are my options regarding what to keep and what to remove?  We are not even going to talk about all the vacuum stuff that has been removed as well. Any input will be helpful.

Pretty much all this is disconnected
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:07:06 PM by junkyard »

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Sorting electrical mess
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 07:55:14 PM »
This may help with both wiring and vacuum. https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Sorting electrical mess
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
First, a few questions.  Is ECU bypassed?  Three wires from distributor go directly to ignition box?  Stock carb er no?  Did you verify ignition timing and firing order?  And make sure the vacuum advance (if your MSD has it) goes to a port where vacuum is not present at idle, only after the throttle is opened (port vacuum).   Always have to check after recent work was done because as someone accurately put it, 'some previous owners should be drawn and quartered.'   >:D

If the ECU is not working, I would start with a major vacuum line delete.  Or as I like to call it, 'killing the octopus.'  Take it all off and you get a basketball-sized mound of vacuum lines and tees.  From this you can rig up the brake booster, vacuum advance, and 4WD right to the carb and intake manifold.  No more questionable solenoids and miles of potential vacuum leaks.  PCV, A/C controls and charcoal canister optional.  PCV and canister might just be vacuum leaks without their control valves, or may need port vacuum.  I haven't tried those yet.  I would say keep the vacuum reservoir though for the 4WD.

If you want to clean up the wiring too, everything in your picture can be removed from the vehicle as one piece.  Simply remove everything that goes to that harness under the blower motor; you may have to remove split looms and tape and do a little cutting to free it all from the rest of the vehicle.  If you've got the stock carb with the stepper motor on the back, you're supposed to do something with its position, but I can't remember what.  Fully retracted maybe?
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk