News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front power window replacement  (Read 2437 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Front power window replacement
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
Originally posted by Run-AMC in the "What did you do to your Eagle today" thread

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=36180.1725;topicseen

Reply #1734

Found a way to replace the front power window motors.

As you know, the front windows use a remote motor to drive a cable, which drives the regulator transmission; I believe this is because the motors at the time were too large to operate within the confines of the door and window. The rear windows use a motor-transmission assembly. I was able to install a modern motor assembly in the front to recover the use of my driver’s window.

MANUFACTURER: RCI
MODEL: 86560 (86561 is a mirror of the 0-model)
PRICE: $50.something as sourced on E B a y.

METHOD:
I drilled 3 half-inch holes into the inner door panel for access to where the fasteners for the cable-driven transmission are. One phillip’s screw and two 3/8 bolts hold the transmission in place. Installing the motor is easy as [select expletive] and they even ship with a plug housing that is perfectly compatible with the Eagle’s. Ensure that you utilize the bolts to tap the fastener holes in the new motor. The sleeves thereof are shipped smooth for your convenience.

RESULT:
Working window. Now I can hang my arm out of the window in sweltering Louisiana heat since my father and I destroyed the AC condenser trying to service it.

Attached is a photo of #86561.

Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:23:18 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: Front power window replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
Thank you, Vangremlin.

Here is the photo referenced in the post.

Note that this particular motor is the mirror of the one used on the driver’s side, and therefore would ideally be used on the passenger front.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:06:28 PM by Run-AMC »
1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in Super Brown

More young men should work on old cars.

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 01:38:32 AM »
Hey Vangremlin...this is awesome news.

My window stopped working two days ago and now its stuck half way down.

I've got the door panel off and I removed the window motor to find the cable snapped.

So I'm curious...does your solution using the motor above mean that you can ditch the cable and bolt this right up to the large gear on the window regulator?

Cheers,

1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »
You'll have to check with Run-AMC as I just copied his post over from another thread.  That is my understanding though, no cable needed.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk