News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ignition coil  (Read 2763 times)

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
ignition coil
« on: July 21, 2020, 08:35:15 PM »
I do not seem to have spark at spark plugs so I pulled one out and turned over engine to look for spark. I did not see spark but noticed arcing on top of the coil. Question 1: Is this a sign that the coil is bad? Question 2: How do I remove it?

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: ignition coil
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 12:00:16 AM »
If there's arcing, seems like the coil is making a higher voltage.
Arcing at the coil suggests that voltage's usual path to the distributor then out to a plug isn't intact.

- First check would be to disconnect one ignition wire and then reconnect it. Repeat until you've done that to all of the ignition wires. Even if it starts, observe the top of the coil again. Look along the length of each wire, to see if there's arcing out of a defect in the wire's insulation.
- Next (or while this wire is off) would be to remove the coil-to-distributor wire, check the ends for detects/damage and check its resistance with a meter to check for continuity. If that looks good, I'd connect back to the coil, then check the other end for spark to confirm the voltage is getting as far as the end of that wire.
- Look for carbon "tracks" on or in the distributor cap, and any damage to cap or rotor.

Is this a new growing or sudden behaviour, or have you just/recently changed coil, ignition module, wires, plugs, cap, distributor or ____?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:02:40 AM by Canoe »

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 10:39:35 PM »
thank you, I now believe coil is good. I will check for voltage leaving distributor.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
Before you test the distributor, don't forget to check & test the wire going from the coil to the distributor, and confirm the 'spark' gets to the distributor end of that wire. 

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »
thank you. all checked ok. Found that the carb needle was stuck---no fuel. Started right up after correction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk