News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 06:57:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Belts????  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Belts????
« on: June 20, 2020, 05:13:35 AM »
Hello all,
             Recently purchased an 85 Eagle Wagon off Ebay. I am currently in Syria on a military deployment so I am having family members pick it up and drive it from CA to TX. I had some discussions on this site about tow dolly and trailering but family want to take the "adventure" of driving it and having some vacation stops along the way, Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.

The car has been in storage for a couple years. My question is I want to replace the belts on it before they start. Can someone please tell me how many belts and what they are. It has factory installed AC.

I will also replace the fuel filter. It recently passed CA emissions and runs good. Anything else anyone would recommend replacing before the drive?

Thank you.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Belts????
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:04:58 AM »

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
Mitch,
         Thanks for the diagram.

For the future is there any way to know based on year or something else without looking under the hood if an Eagle has the serpentine or V belts? Why did they have both? Did they have both setups in the same year?

Thank you.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »
If you do determine that it has the V-belts, the following P/Ns should get you started in the right direction. 

Power Steering and Water Pump Belt:  Carquest 17465
Alternator Belt (driven off A/C Compressor):  Carquest 15290
A/C Belt:  Gates 9570

There are what I used on my '83.  These numbers should be able to be crossed to other equivalent P/Ns at any auto parts store.

Above and beyond belts, I'd have your family members take a decent look at the tires to check their ages...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_VYhD49fjk

...and absolutely make sure there's an inflated spare tire present.  If there's any questions about tire condition, take the conservative route and replace the tire(s).  The stock tire sizes for these cars are cheap and can be found basically anywhere.

CA to TX would likely be a pretty tough drive for any older vehicle, but if it were mine, I'd do the following prior...

--Full engine oil/filter change, and chassis lube to include driveshaft u-joints.  Check for play or "clunking" in the u-joints that would imply worn/missing bearings.
--Check coolant level.  Drain and replace coolant if there's any question of cleanliness, but DO NOT FLUSH the coolant system.
--Change transmission fluid and filter if the ATF is any color but red, but again, DO NOT FLUSH the transmission.
--Check transfer case oil level and add ATF as necessary.
--Check the rear differential oil level and add as necessary.  No real reason to change this unless you can see evidence of serious contamination, like water in the oil that would make it a milky-brown color.

I'd recommend leaving the car in 2wd for the trip, and because of that, I'd leave the front differential alone if you see no evidence of major oil leaks.  But the advice for it is the same as the rear differential if you desire, check the differential oil level and add as necessary.

If you've gone this far with it, it shouldn't be a huge deal to pull at least (1) wheel off the front and back to check the condition of the brake pads and shoes.  If you have any brake hydraulics components leaking, they should absolutely be replaced, preferably in pairs because we're likely dealing with 30+ year-old parts.  (If one front caliper leaking, change them both, as the "good" one is likely not much better than the leaking one.  Bleeding two calipers isn't really any harder than bleeding one.)

The safety items (belts, tires, brakes, etc.) should have been part of the CA vehicle inspection, so hopefully you can trust that inspection, which is probably one of the most-strict in the country.

As for the last thing, it would be a good idea to have your family assemble a basic tool kit to take with them including a US & Metric socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, baling wire, and a couple quarts of engine oil, ATF and gallons of water.  And probably a AAA membership... :help:

Good luck with the trip, and of course, thank you for your service.  Stay safe!

David

Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
David,
           Thank you for the very detailed and thoughtful reply.

Looking at some of the pics the previous owner posted I think it is a serpentine. At least it looks that way to me.
I had thought of mot of what you replied but did have some questions.

1. Why do you recommend not flushing the radiator and transmission? I am guessing you are thinking it may dislodge something and then clog a line perhaps?
2. When you say “Check transfer case oil level and add ATF as necessary” you mean automatic transmission fluid right?  Does the rear differential take ATF also or something different?

Yes, I have USAA Roadside Assistance and had planned on them taking gallons of water, some oil, an extra serpentine belt/s, oil, tools, and some ATF.

Thank you.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
Looks like someone did a serpentine conversion. To my knowledge Eagles never had them. Might be, that is just needs to be measured and count ribs. A good auto parts store should be able to get the right length belt.
Hope this helps.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule, totaled 3/26/24 rear ended REAL HARD. concussion and whiplash. not fun
1999 Ford E250 conversion/work van 238,000 see if it will make 300,000
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin, the long haul trucker

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
David,
           Thank you for the very detailed and thoughtful reply.

Looking at some of the pics the previous owner posted I think it is a serpentine. At least it looks that way to me.
I had thought of most of what you replied but did have some questions.  Yup, definitely a serpentine belt and a VERY tidy looking engine bay from the photo.  So nice to NOT see that shiny garbage that used car places spray all over an engine to make it look prettier. 
Just a thought to bear in mind -- with the serpentine belt, the water pump runs in the REVERSE direction from the V-belt setup.  If you or your folks happen to get into a situation where they have to have someone change it during the trip, please make sure they use a Gates 42000 or equivalent pump with reverse rotation.  The car WILL overheat with the wrong water pump on it.

1. Why do you recommend not flushing the radiator and transmission? I am guessing you are thinking it may dislodge something and then clog a line perhaps?  Yes, this is it precisely.  Waaaay too many auto transmissions have failed soon after a well-meaning "flush" job performed at a Jiffy Lube or something.  And the same thing with the coolant system as you guessed -- some systems are better left alone if they're not currently causing problems.  Do a fluid and/or filter change as necessary and leave it at that.

2. When you say “Check transfer case oil level and add ATF as necessary” you mean automatic transmission fluid right?  Does the rear differential take ATF also or something different?  The original fluid specified in the transfer cases was 10W-30 oil up until around '81 or thereabouts, after which the requirement shifted to DexronIII/Mercon auto trans fluid (ATF).  Someone on here will know the exact date.  Your car being an '85 should only have ever had ATF in the transfer case.  The front and rear differentials take 85W-90 or 80W-140 gear oil.  The "heavier" of the 2 oil choices was intended for cars that would do towing, etc.

Yes, I have USAA Roadside Assistance and had planned on them taking gallons of water, some oil, an extra serpentine belt/s, oil, tools, and some ATF.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:29:36 PM by djm3452004 »
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 05:12:07 AM »
I am a little confused on the serpentine belt question. Taylor replied above that he was unaware Eagles ever came with serpentine belts but Mitch relied above with a link to a diagram that shows serpentine and V-belt configurations.
Found a book yesterday on Google Books titled The Cars of American Motors by Marc Cranswick where it lists either V-belt or serpentine systems were available.
Hope this helps.

DJM,
       Thanks for the info and name of the water pump and for the great info on the ATF and the gear oil.
I never knew the water pumps ran in reverse.

Seems I find out more everyday here that is very useful info.

My family is picking up the car on the 23rd and will drive it that day from Lucerne Valley to Las Vegas and spend the night. We will see how the first leg goes.

Thank you.

Thank you all.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 06:13:47 AM »
I believe the serpentine setup was primarily meant for the California market to meet emissions standards.

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
Mitch,
         That would make sense with this being a lifelong California. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 10:16:00 AM »
I agree with Mitchell.

Manitowoc WI

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40