News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1987 Eagle sedan $750 OBO Springfield, MO SOLD  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Doruntrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
1987 Eagle sedan $750 OBO Springfield, MO SOLD
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »

1987 four door sedan up for grabs here, 4.2 with the automatic, 114,938 miles

Location is Springfield, MO, prefer cash or Paypal. Shipping is your responsibility, or pick it up yourself.

About this car:
Has been sitting for roughly 7 years. Body is pretty clean for the most part, surface rust on the hood and a very small surface patch near the back window. There is a shallow dent on the driver side rear door, nothing too bad. Underbody has rust typical of a car sitting outside for a while, I haven't seen any rust-through, but I can crawl under and take pics on request. Paint is rough and vinyl on roof has fallen apart.

The biggest problem is the driver's side front wheel. I slid off a road a couple years back and knocked it crooked. The problem is the lower A arm to frame connector, the frame side mount was bent.

This car was started a couple of years ago, the only thing preventing it from doing so now should be the junk Carter carb. Before I had to park it, it actually had some new parts put on; brake system completely replaced from slave cylinder to calipers, alternator, ignition control module, fuel pump, timing chain/gear, ignition coil, etc.

All body/interior parts are still with the car far as I can tell, except the radio, headliner, and rear package tray (I used the original to measure and cut a replacement). Fender flares are in the trunk. Interior looks good to me, carpet is in one piece, no cracked vinyl, seats all good except driver's, which has worn through fabric on the seat.

That's everything that I can think of off the top of my head, I apologize if I rambled. I will be happy to look over/take pictures of specific areas on request. I really don't want to sell this car, but I had to move it from where I had it stored long term, and it violates my apartment regulations. I am more interested in finding a new home for the old bird than I am in making money, so feel free to send me an offer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:44:48 AM by Doruntrus »

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: 1987 Eagle sedan $750 OBO Springfield, MO
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »
If you could post up some pictures I for one would greatly appreciate it.  Take pictures of the car over-all and of any rust/damage.  I'm more worried about rust then mechanics.

How badly is the mount bent?  I'm assuming if someone was foolish enough to attempt a road trip in it to get it home that it is not driveable now?  Yes, I understand it has not ran in years, so that would be the first hurdle.  But if it was made to run, is it safe to drive?

What my heart really wants is a SX4, but I don't have the $3k~$5k to spend on a clean one so I'm looking at all possibilities.  If it can be made to start and drive without to much effort/coin I can take it from there.

Many thanks.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline Doruntrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »
Here's a link to the photobucket album with pics, hope that is allowed.

http://s906.photobucket.com/user/Doruntrus/library/Eagle

So, this thing is actually more rust free than I expected. Couple minor patches on the body, just surface stuff. The underside was apparently coated in a liner at somepoint long ago, I couldn't find any real rust, just on suspension components.

I got it started today, drove it to the gas station. Seems to run alright, idles great, just poor power. Definitely needs a full tune before any actual driving.

Edit: the mount isn't too bad, could definitely be pulled off and straightened with a big hammer. It's the strut arm mount, as a correction. I got the steering corrected as close as I can with the adjuster nut.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:20:22 PM by Doruntrus »

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
Many thanks for the pics.  You're making it awfully hard to not buy it.  I'm leaving today after work on a trip and won't be back home again until Monday evening.  I'm going to do some soul searching while on my trip and see if I can come after it.  I'm trying not to get too worked up so a cooler head can prevail.  Wife would kill me but you only live once.  If come next week I decide that it is the right move for me, I'm hoping it is still available.

Thanks again for the information and getting her fired up and what not.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
I live in Holden Missouri.  I may come and look at her.  Do you have a phone number I can call you?  PM me please.

Offline Doruntrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
Sorry guys, this actually got sold on Monday! It slipped my mind to update with work and whatnot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk