News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 07:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not getting fuel?  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
Not getting fuel?
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:31:21 AM »
So, I bought a new Eagle. This is an 82 sedan with 44k original miles on it. I've owned it for two weeks now and have put about 1,000 miles on it from Detroit to Chicago and back a few different times. I was just about to post pics and stories, proud of my new find. It drives like a dream... Until now.

Last night I jumped in the car and didn't get a block before it stalled out on me, acting like it ran out of gas. This was odd since it showed a quarter tank and I have no reason to mistrust the fuel gauge. However, the gauge had been hovering around the same spot for a few days, so I assumed it was just faulty when low on fuel, a problem I had experienced with other Eagles in the past. I had seen it dip below a quarter tank on the highway but the gauge being off still seemed within reason. So I got a gallon of gas. In the previous Eagle's I've owned I have learned to prime the carb with gas before starting, so I did this out of habit. It started right up and idled for awhile but shortly after hitting the accelerator it died again, getting me a block further. Some neighbors helped me push her to the side of the road and asked me if my fuel pump was bad and perhaps one gallon didn't provide enough pressure. With little resource and it being the middle of the night, all I could think to try was another gallon of gas. This time it started and died after about five seconds, before I shifted her into gear. In short, I walked the five blocks home. I would wonder about a clogged filter if the PO hadn't put in a new filter, cap, wires, battery, alternator, and starter. I would wonder about a vacuum leak but everything appears to be legit except coming off the air canister. I didn't want this to be the way I introduced my new Eagle to everyone, but this is the car that Neweagle was selling out of IL in the classified section.   
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Not getting fuel?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:56:31 AM »
If it did run out of gas it may have picked up some dirt from the tank and be clogging the filter. Look  down the throat of the carb and see if there's two good streams of fuel when you pump the gas.

If you think there's plenty of fuel being pumped in you can always try an ignition module. Hopefully you have a spare kicking around. It would at least eliminate the module as the problem.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
Did adding the couple gallons of fuel change the fuel gauge level? It's a little risky, but pull the fuel hose off of the filter put it in a container adn crank the car and see if it is pumping fuel. Be ready to shut it off, if it starts. You can try to disable the coil so it can't start by removing the power wire to the coil. Also, check the oil and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. Sometimes a bad fuel pump can fill the oil sump with fuel.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
Thanks, eaglefreek, I'll check the oil. I'm about to walk down the street to the car now, but I don't think the added gas moved the needle.

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
It seems the needle was moved by adding gas.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
Look  down the throat of the carb and see if there's two good streams of fuel when you pump the gas.

If you think there's plenty of fuel being pumped in you can always try an ignition module. Hopefully you have a spare kicking around. It would at least eliminate the module as the problem.

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
Thanks Mernsy, Im by myself for now and cant see down the throat while I pump the gas. I figured hitting the throttle would be the same thing and that gets me nothing. Everything is dry as a bone. Changed the filter, also got me nothing. There is however a conveniently located dry puddle under the gas lines and the faint smell of gas after I try to start it. I wonder if I have pinhole leaks.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
You should see fuel while pumping the throttle and looking down the throat so that's your problem...no fuel.

Can you do like eaglefreek suggested..

It's a little risky, but pull the fuel hose off of the filter put it in a container adn crank the car and see if it is pumping fuel. Be ready to shut it off, if it starts. You can try to disable the coil so it can't start by removing the power wire to the coil. Also, check the oil and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. Sometimes a bad fuel pump can fill the oil sump with fuel.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
It may be as simple as a stuck float valve. Tap lightly on the side of the carburetor bowl with the bottom of a screwdriver and see if that clears things up. Sitting a long time can cause sticky residues from gasoline to build up in the carb.

I like running a couple of bottles of Techron additive through the fuel system to remove the residue, it seems to be one of the few that aren't snake oil. Watch the bottles, they come in 12oz and 20oz sizes and you have a 22 gallon tank. It won't fix dirt in the tank.

Leaks before the pump can cause all kinds of problems, maybe it's time for new rubber lines at least.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
Thanks BenM. I got out of class late yesterday evening and there was only enough light to try tapping on the carb and then pushing her to the legal side of the street when that didn't work. You bring up another question however. I assumed that I had a 22 gallon tank like all other Eagles I've owned. However, the first time I gassed up at quarter tank it only took 13 gallons, making me think my tank was 16 or 18. Especially because the needle seems to move faster than my past Eagles. I'm still getting about 15-16 in town and 23 on the highway. This makes me assume my gauge is bad, if all Eagles definitely have a 22.

Today I'm going to walk back to where she's parked and try cranking into a bucket. If I find out that it's not pumping then am I correct to assume the fuel pump is bad? I have a parts car that ran fine before I wrecked it. Never done a fuel pump but I assume it's a s simple as it looks, bolt off, bolt on.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
When you changed the filter and all was dry it kinda points to the fuel pump or further back, like holes in the line or dirty pickup tube or...whatever..

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
When I swapped out the filter from imy parts car, the bigger nozzle that goes to the carb was very dirty and gas did come out of both ends when I blew in it.

I just disconnected the line from the filter as suggested and set the line into a 5 liter pan. Once I cranked the engine I got about 5 ounces of clean fuel into the pan.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
I think some of the Hornets had 15 or 16 gallon tanks, and they may fit into an Eagle, but AMC switched to big tanks in the '70s for the most part. The big cars got 22 gallon tanks and the small cars got 21 gallon tanks.

According to the manual, the pump should produce 1 pint in 30 seconds at 4-5psi.

Other troubles if the filter is dry include a missing check valve in the return line and a filter installed without the return fitting at the top.

Often overlooked is a bullet-shaped check valve that was inserted into the return line and takes 1-2psi before it opens. The line was commonly replaced and the hidden valve thrown out.

It sounds like a problem in the fuel supply lines. If you pick up some cheap vinyl tubing and connect it to the fuel pump and the return on the filter you can see if it has air bubbles. Don't get that stuff hot, it gets soft very easily as it heats, but being clear it should allow you to diagnose problems and the constant flow of fuel will keep it cool for a short while.

Vinyl tubing is fuel resistant, just poorly suited to the under hood environment and not a safe replacement for real fuel line.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
I forgot the most important part. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you when messing with gas. A second person with the extinguisher in hand is even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWn5U7KEGo
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
I forgot the most important part. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you when messing with gas. A second person with the extinguisher in hand is even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWn5U7KEGo
I have seen that video before and I can't believe the guy kept trying to crank over the motor after it was on fire. I will say though that is one way to get rid of a Mazda Miata.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk