News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 01:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM 15 bearings -vs- D35 bearings? will they swap?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
AM 15 bearings -vs- D35 bearings? will they swap?
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:18:54 AM »
I recently did the solid axle swap, and installed a D35 non c-clip 3.55 open out of an XJ with ford crown vic disc brakes. (love it)  ;D

well Ive got bearing issues, I think its the carrier bearings. lotsa sparkles in there, and got a bit of a grumble goin on back there.  :-[

my question is this. I had previously bought a complete bearing set for the AM 15, but only used the seals and wheel end bearings before the swap. so I have the diff and pinyon bearings sitting on a shelf unused. since the AM 15 was what the D 35 is now (minus the POS 2 piece shafts), are the internal bearings the same? I know the wheel end bearings are not, but I bought a new set of those already so it doesnt matter.
2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: AM 15 bearings -vs- D35 bearings? will they swap?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
The carrier and pinion bearings will work from AM-15 to D35.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
like a glove.

My internal bearings really weren't that bad, they had scarring and mild pitting but given the noise, I thought it was was worse. In fact the left rear, the one that failed, I replaced it with a cheap Made in China bearing, lasted 200 miles, ground itself to oblivion, replaced it with the cheap Made in China bearing that was destined for the right side, was once again pitted severely and probably the source of the noise. (didnt even get 1500 miles out of 2 bearings)

On that note. STAY AWAY FROM MASTERPRO UNDERCAR. they are CRAP.

I used all Federal Mogul, or National bearings and seals this time. It cost more than twice as much, But Ill stick with the name brands from now on. (sadly, they arent American either, they say Made in Japan)

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
What noise did you here? Was it like a shoe dragging that would go away when you turned/put more weight on the bad bearing¿ just asking cause my concord is possibly bad as of recent. i drilled and tapped to add a grease zerk. but its still grumpy.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:25 AM »
like a glove.

My internal bearings really weren't that bad, they had scarring and mild pitting but given the noise, I thought it was was worse. In fact the left rear, the one that failed, I replaced it with a cheap Made in China bearing, lasted 200 miles, ground itself to oblivion, replaced it with the cheap Made in China bearing that was destined for the right side, was once again pitted severely and probably the source of the noise. (didnt even get 1500 miles out of 2 bearings)

On that note. STAY AWAY FROM MASTERPRO UNDERCAR. they are CRAP.

I used all Federal Mogul, or National bearings and seals this time. It cost more than twice as much, But Ill stick with the name brands from now on. (sadly, they arent American either, they say Made in Japan)

Masterpoo sucjks!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
Koyos (Japan) and Timkens are about the same quality, if they are Koyos.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
What noise did you here? Was it like a shoe dragging that would go away when you turned/put more weight on the bad bearing¿ just asking cause my concord is possibly bad as of recent. i drilled and tapped to add a grease zerk. but its still grumpy.

Sorry for the wait time, Actually it was a growl, and it got worse when the weight was shifted onto it and better when the weight was on the other bering. it was also much hotter to the touch than the other side after a 30 mile drive at highway speeds.

REAREND UPDATE!!!!!!

after going through all the trouble of replacing all the bearings, it gradually began to Howl :-[. later on it developed into a constant growl. and it was getting HOT. after a bit more, it was actually making a thumpy growl sound as the ring, pinyon, and pinyon berings slowly started to self destruct. Apperently I over tourqued the pinyon nut.

A trip to the junkyard set me up with a good 3.55 ring and pinyon set attached to a c-clip style trac-loc posi out of a late 90's wrangler. for only 100$ ;D

Back together and so far quiet exept for a whine on tight low speed turns (I know its the clutches, but is it normal? I saw no defects before install, and even with wheels on it its hard t turn the axles seperate when jacked up)

On that note, the C-clip carrier fits just fine, and after a comparison, , the ring gear was about 3/8 inch wider than my old one and the pinyon is about 1/4  deeper, they fit just fine, but appear to have more tooth. (same amount of teeth, just more surface contact) So I believe the c-clip axles have stronger internals, other than being c-clip, so now I have the best of both.

Also When I reinstalled the axle shafts, I completely removed the inner seals and washed the grease out of the berings. and I overfilled the diff just a bit so that the wheel berings are bathed in oil now instead of grease packed.. 500 miles and no problems so far, but given recent experiance, Im holding my breath.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:52:57 PM by monsterbronc »

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
The D35 me and the son took out of my 95 XJ and put into his Eagle, has a pretty tight posi and hard to turn the tires.  As for the whine from the clutch packs, has the oil been changed lately?  There are a lot of the new oils that have the friction modifiers already mixed in.  If still doing it, you'll have to add an extra tube of the friction modifier, and that should quiet it down.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:43 AM »
I refilled it with 1/2 quart lucas, and 75-90 full synthetic, lucus claims its suitable for posi, but I guess that means it wont hurt one, but you still need the friction additive.

In fact I stopped at slow-rilley's and bought a 6.99$ 4oz bottle of the stuff, smelled odd, pulled off the vent hose and squirted it in in the parking lot.

The stuff must work, because whithin 10 miles it stopped whining, and is silent in corners. I wonder what it would do inside an engine?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk