News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 07:18:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does anyone have the stock axle letter codes?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Does anyone have the stock axle letter codes?
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
As in the ratio and it's corresponding letter code stamped on the M15 housing? So far I haven't found it, but I know I saw it recently.
Edit: (light bulb went on) Doh! My own page! Maybe move them over here and sticky them?

http://www.oocities.org/eaglemania2002/axle.html

Note the headings (Standard ~ Twingrip ~ etc.). They correspond to the chart below. Each line has 2 letters (the codes for Standard and Twingrip rearends), the ratio and last the pinion and ring number of teeth. If it goes out of whack again simply start with the "A" which is the first code (standard open rear end for 3.54 gears). The next letter is "N" for the same ration in Twingrip. Then is the ration number: 3.54 and lastly the number of teeth (11 and 39). The next letter, "F" starts the new code and the same sequence repeats for all subsequent items in chart. Hope this helps. All letter codes are the rear of the differential on the right hand axel tube boss (flat area). That is the part of diff. that the axle tube goes IN TO. Not the tube itself.
 Thanks to Craig Thompson
 Eagle AXLE LETTER CODE RATIO
 STANDARD ~ TWINGRIP ~ RATIO ~ Pinion/Ring teeth
 A  ~ N ~ 3.54 ~11/39
 F  ~ T  ~ 3.08  ~ 13/40
 G  ~ S ~ 3.31 ~ 13/43
 H ~  U ~ 2.73 ~ 15/41
 J  ~ NONE ~ 2.37~ 19/45
 K  ~ V ~ 2.53 ~17/43
   The code, incase you aren't familiar, is in the boss (I guess it's called) next to the diff. cover plate where the axle tube attaches to the pumpkin. It is the letter code stamped in the boss.

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk