News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 05:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hello from youngstown ohio! NOW WITH PICTURES  (Read 6101 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: hello from youngstown ohio! NOW WITH PICTURES
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
I notice the rear marker light on the passenger side is out of the hole, water has been getting in there for sure, depending on how long there might be a rust problem underneath it where there's a basin like area that will hold the water.  You should be able to tell by looking underneath the rear bumper at that area if the inner panel is rusty but the outer panel is covered by the bumper corner so you aren't going to see any rust there unless you remove it. 

The aluminum sport wheels have a fair bit of value on their own so as other's have said if the underbody is solid I and there's no other significant rust it would be well worth $450.  Keep in mind that you can't see beneath the plastic body cladding and it would be fairly common for there to be rust under them so unless you remove them its a bit of a gamble as to what you're going to ultimately end up with.  I think a good indicator of how the body is under the plastic body cladding is the condition of the inner rockers, they're usually as bad as the rust on the rest of the car, if they're solid that might bode well for the rest of the body.  You can check them from underneath the car, look where the floorboards join the outer edge of the car underneath the doors.  Take a sharp object like a scratch awl, place it in various places on the inner rocker, bump it with the palm of your hand and see if it goes through anywhere.  If not the inner rockers are probably in pretty good condition and maybe you're not taking so much of a gamble with what's under the plastic body cladding.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
$450 is pretty fair, basically he is asking right around scrap price. Like priya says, crawl around undernieth this thing and have a good look. The car looks like a well optioned one though, worth a good bit as a parts car even.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline boardmanMJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
when i snapped those pictures i was able to crawl around on the ground alittle the crossmember will need replaced for sure because its rusty and flaking pretty badly. from what else i could see it was pretty solid, no giant holes but im sure when i tear up the carpet i will need to patch in some places. as for the rear i never looked closly at the water basin area by the rear marker light but if i go back i will check it out for sure. i was able to push my thumb through the driver side rocker panel and im pretty nervious about looking at the passenger side. what else are common rust places to look for on the SX/4?

Josh

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Where the upper control arms bolt to the body (speaking front suspension), the salt and garbage builds up there and tends to be a problem area. Look around the area of the strut rods too (rod that runs from the lower control arm back to the body).
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline boardmanMJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
i will check out these areas for sure before i make him a final offer. another thing that is really bothering me is that im not going to be able to find all the little odds and ends its needs. like for instince i need the rocker panel plastic cladding on the driver side only. and i need all the windshield trim. and one sport wheel lug nut cover. little odds like that. im not too sure how hard it is going to be to find these parts and thats why ive been kinda hesitant about buying this project. also if you look at one of the interior pictures you can see that the whole cowl on the inside is rusty and needs replaced.

Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk